Postby HappySmurf on Fri 28/Nov/08 1:23pm

implant wrote: Oh yeah, personal added plug for Lake MX165. Awesome, if a little heavy. Used for Transrockies, which at times was indeed TransWalkies. :

So that's the reason you guys walked to the top of the rock chute on Day2? I thought you were being nice & letting the tail enders catch up, but in reality you were testing your shoes :hmmm:
HappySmurf
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby implant on Sat 29/Nov/08 1:36pm

:blush:

Luckily not quite the top eh... :crazy:

Good shoes for running down scree too...
implant
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby inzane on Sun 30/Nov/08 7:17pm

In my experience scree is good to ride the bike down!!! In fact there is a mission I might do in a couple of weeks time that involves riding down a rather large scree slope!! :thumbsup:
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Sickman on Sun 30/Nov/08 8:35pm

inzane wrote: In my experience scree is good to ride the bike down!!! In fact there is a mission I might do in a couple of weeks time that involves riding down a rather large scree slope!! :thumbsup:

Keep me posted on that one.

Help Nathan out witht he Heaphy 5-O race in the weekend. Man can't wait to be able to MTB the DOC Track. Fastest runner over the 82 km was 7:12. Smoking!
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Sun 30/Nov/08 9:38pm

Sickman wrote:
inzane wrote: In my experience scree is good to ride the bike down!!! In fact there is a mission I might do in a couple of weeks time that involves riding down a rather large scree slope!! :thumbsup:

Keep me posted on that one.

Help Nathan out witht he Heaphy 5-O race in the weekend. Man can't wait to be able to MTB the DOC Track. Fastest runner over the 82 km was 7:12. Smoking!

Yup, will let you know. :thumbsup:

Yeh, Heaphy access would be all good! Hell of a shuttle though... :huh:
inzane

Postby Sickman on Mon 1/Dec/08 12:59am

Give me a double yell if the scree is coming off Mt Hamilton.

You already have the shoes that you need. Those old yellow and purple Time shoes in your shed. My pair only died when I snapped the sole.

I found the shoes with softer soles tend to bruise the ball of my foot. Found that out big time on the Mt Cook race where I did 150 km before a 15 km run (they cancelled the Rangitata Paddle that year). The Diadora Jalenpos were the bad shoe in that case.

I like using toes spikes in my shoes. Spikes just rip out of soft soles unless they thread into something harder (had that problem again with the Jalpenos)

Perfer something hard soled myself with good tread. Which I do not own any at the moment even with my West Coast biking where my riding buddies think it is not mountain biking unless there is a carry section.

Liked the Lakes in the past, but heels did slip out on up hills.
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Thu 4/Dec/08 10:37pm

Righto. Got a pair of X-Alps. Will see how they go...
inzane

Postby inzane on Mon 15/Dec/08 10:23am

Ok, so first decent mission in the X-Alps. Generally pretty comfortable and seem to work well... but...

(why is there always a but??)

There is hard plastic under the arch of the foot. When you are on a technical trail and trying to get on your bike and clipped in quickly you often end up putting the arch of your foot on the pedal to get a couple of pedals strokes in before you can clip in... With a hard plastic bit right there the shoe tends to slip off the pedal!!

Also, if you are walking over uneven ground (gee, and if I can ride my bike across it, it is probably going to be uneven) the piece of hard plastic on the outside of the shoe with the rachet mechanism digs into the side of your foot under your ankle. Especially noticable if having to traverse across a slope. The uphill shoe will bite every time you step on it...

Basically, these are nice shoes and are probably perfectly suited for cafe riding and commuting. The out sole actually works quite well off-road, but the bite from the hard plastic clip and the slipage from the hard plastic under the arch of the foot mean that this is yet another product that looks as if it has been designed well, but in reality is not fantastic.
inzane

Postby free_rider21 on Mon 15/Dec/08 12:11pm

Did you try some tahoes?
free_rider21
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Epic Jungle Hike-a-bike Shoes Wanted. Recommendations?

Postby Nick_K on Mon 12/Jan/09 11:33am

Bump

Looking for the ultimate ss shoe. Had been thinking about the Peal Izumi trans alp although reading through this thread inzanes review doesn't sound as promising as hoped.

Any other recommendations? Wanting a shoe that is stiff enough for power but will still let me run as required.

Will still use my shimano's most of the time but need something for Karapoti type rides.

Cheers
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby inzane on Mon 12/Jan/09 11:53am

Yeh, the soles on the X-Alps are not super stiff. Seemed ok for normal sort of riding, but my feet start to get tired/sore at the bottom of aggressive downhills (I push my feet against the pedals to brace). However, if you are wanting to get off and run, the PI X-Alp are probably the perfect shoe as they have decent running shoe type EVA foam under the heel and a good almost running shoe type rubber tread. I think if you got a pair with Laces + velcro rather than the ratchet that they would be excellent for when you had to run, but still reasonably stiff for getting power to the pedals. Depends what your balance of ride/run is going to be. Any cycling specific shoe is going to be too stiff to run in... although you could probably run in the Lake MX-165's that i have still got...The sole is stiffer, and does not have the EVA foam, but has big chunky rubber on the heel and plenty of grip. They are a pretty heavy shoe tho...
inzane

Postby Nick_K on Mon 12/Jan/09 12:31pm

Good point on the buckle. Ran/rode up the tiptrack yesterday and the buckle was possibly the most uncomfortable bit.

Really the only time I will really need these shoes is for Karapoti. On the ss a lot of the warmup climb is a walk, as on a geared bike virtually all of the devils staircase is a walk and depending on how fuct you are maybe 20~40% of Dopers is a run on a ss.

So I suppose I'm looking for something which will trade a bit of stiffness for a bit more running ablity.

Might skive off work early and have a look around the shops.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby radical_edward on Mon 12/Jan/09 12:42pm

Shimano have a whole range of Mountain Touring shoes now that look just the ticket:
product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+SH+SH-MT60_600x450_v1_m56577569830655130_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.jpg
product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+SH+SH-MT41G_600x450_v1_m56577569830635838_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.jpg
product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+SH+SH-MT32L_600x450_v1_m56577569830651036_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.jpg
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby inzane on Mon 12/Jan/09 1:20pm

Nick_K wrote:Good point on the buckle. Ran/rode up the tiptrack yesterday and the buckle was possibly the most uncomfortable bit.

Really the only time I will really need these shoes is for Karapoti. On the ss a lot of the warmup climb is a walk, as on a geared bike virtually all of the devils staircase is a walk and depending on how fuct you are maybe 20~40% of Dopers is a run on a ss.

So I suppose I'm looking for something which will trade a bit of stiffness for a bit more running ablity.

Might skive off work early and have a look around the shops.

The Tahoes mentioned above are reasonably light and have some flex. They did not look chunky enough for the sort of thing I was wanting shoes for... but they might suit you??
inzane

Postby radical_edward on Mon 12/Jan/09 1:58pm

The Tahoes don't have much in the way of midsole cushioning, if you want a true crossover runner.

I wear Sonoma touring shoes most days as an everyday wear, which are basically Tahoes without the tread.
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts