Postby danose on Tue 25/Nov/08 1:39pm

inzane wrote: Actually the Pearl Izumi X-Alp series (I like the Enduro) look like just the ticket.

Anyone know of any bike shops here in Chch that have them in stock?

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?m ... id=1236123

think Bike Biz do PI - so get them to enquire if the x-alp is brought into nz

if you're looking for a softer sole how about the Adidas Plush - meant to be very comfy - you'd have to get them via crc.com though since I don't think adidas cycling shoes come into NZ any more
adidas_plush_xl.jpg
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby more_horse_link on Tue 25/Nov/08 1:58pm

danose wrote:
inzane wrote: Actually the Pearl Izumi X-Alp series (I like the Enduro) look like just the ticket.

Anyone know of any bike shops here in Chch that have them in stock?

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?m ... id=1236123

think Bike Biz do PI - so get them to enquire if the x-alp is brought into nz

if you're looking for a softer sole how about the Adidas Plush - meant to be very comfy - you'd have to get them via crc.com though since I don't think adidas cycling shoes come into NZ any more

They look like frankenstein's trail shoes!
more_horse_link
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Tue 25/Nov/08 2:07pm

I aint a fashion biker... but those are mega fugly!!

I would rather be able to try some on as well, and I at least know that PI shoes are here in NZ.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 25/Nov/08 2:08pm

i_ride_rigid wrote:
inzane wrote: The shoe I am looking for needs to be good for 2 hours plus of this sort of hike-a-bike. The Lakes have plenty of grip, but are completely rigid soles. Those Speciallized's look comfy enough, but will also have a completely rigid sole. I am liking the look of the Pearl Izumi's as they have a flexible forefoot... Which would be a good thing for carrying up steep hills :thumbsup:

The sole is not rigid at all- they have the flexible forefoot you are after ;) :thumbsup: Flex free enough to get some power into the pedals but you can walk in these as they flex in just the right spot. I've walked up stuff in these and they have to be the most comfiest and able pair of trail shoes i've owned.

I'd go try a pair on and take a walk - you will be surprised. Apparently the design/ concept is based on cross trainers ;)

And at $115 they are a steal!

Who has these in stock then?? Your favourite store - Mr J Bull??
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby more_horse_link on Tue 25/Nov/08 2:12pm

Trail wrote:
i_ride_rigid wrote:
inzane wrote: The shoe I am looking for needs to be good for 2 hours plus of this sort of hike-a-bike. The Lakes have plenty of grip, but are completely rigid soles. Those Speciallized's look comfy enough, but will also have a completely rigid sole. I am liking the look of the Pearl Izumi's as they have a flexible forefoot... Which would be a good thing for carrying up steep hills :thumbsup:

The sole is not rigid at all- they have the flexible forefoot you are after ;) :thumbsup: Flex free enough to get some power into the pedals but you can walk in these as they flex in just the right spot. I've walked up stuff in these and they have to be the most comfiest and able pair of trail shoes i've owned.

I'd go try a pair on and take a walk - you will be surprised. Apparently the design/ concept is based on cross trainers ;)

And at $115 they are a steal!

Who has these in stock then?? Your favourite store - Mr J Bull??

haha that sadly is the case!
more_horse_link
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 25/Nov/08 3:05pm

inzane wrote: mmm have looked at Chillis before. They might be the go for jungle missions...

Ive got a pair of Chilis that are 4 years old. they are my only functioning pair of cycling shoes presently and they get worn every day to work and whatever riding I do other than that. They are unmarked and super comfy. Like you I won't wear shoes you cant walk in (bad experience with some xc race style shoes with hard plastic soles). and you should get them for about $120.

dont forget to put some tape or something over the cleat bolts to stop water getting in under the insole.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby danose on Tue 25/Nov/08 3:48pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Ive got a pair of Chilis that are 4 years old. they are my only functioning pair of cycling shoes presently and they get worn every day to work and whatever riding I do other than that. They are unmarked and super comfy. Like you I won't wear shoes you cant walk in (bad experience with some xc race style shoes with hard plastic soles). and you should get them for about $120.

I actually wore the sole down to nothing on my old chillis, and am getting there on my cobras :thumbsup: this possibly means I walk too much :blush:

Unfortunately a couple of years ago diadora went mad though - their new lineup is uber-racerboi ish and hence useless :angry:

having said that, the soles in the chili/cobra is just as stiff as the soles in the mx165s (I know - own both), so if zane wants something even more walking friendly he needs to look elsewhere (I don't mind them being stiff personally - but I spent years walking up hill and down dale in full steel shanked mountaineering boots so am used to stiff footwear)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby inzane on Tue 25/Nov/08 4:01pm

I just want some flex in the forefoot of the shoe. With very stiff sole, walking up a steep hill for 2 hours in a shoe that cannot keep your heel in the heel cup is going to lead to blisters...

The X-Alp looks like they might have made the sole of the shoe nice and stiff through to the ball of the foot and able to flex in front of the ball... which would be perfect.

Of course this is all speculative until I get my hands (and feet) onto some to try them out!!
x-alp.jpg
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby mtbrat on Tue 25/Nov/08 4:07pm

let us know how you get on Zane
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby HappySmurf on Tue 25/Nov/08 5:46pm

inzane wrote:The X-Alp looks like they might have made the sole of the shoe nice and stiff through to the ball of the foot and able to flex in front of the ball... which would be perfect.

Of course this is all speculative until I get my hands (and feet) onto some to try them out!!

My X-Alps have done a lot of walking. :blush: They are almost like normal shoes, so if walking is your thing, they're great. BikeVegas had some size 43s a few months back for $100.
The disadvantages I have noticed are:
1. You do lose a bit of pedalling power compared to a stiffer shoe.
2. They are quite heavy.
3. That closure mechanism is bulky and you keep whacking it on projections, and the phillips screw that holds the buckle on likes to come loose.
4. You can't screw in a sprig for grip in super slippery going.
HappySmurf
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby inzane on Wed 26/Nov/08 10:17am

HappySmurf wrote:
inzane wrote:The X-Alp looks like they might have made the sole of the shoe nice and stiff through to the ball of the foot and able to flex in front of the ball... which would be perfect.

My X-Alps have done a lot of walking. :blush: They are almost like normal shoes, so if walking is your thing, they're great. BikeVegas had some size 43s a few months back for $100.
The disadvantages I have noticed are:
1. You do lose a bit of pedalling power compared to a stiffer shoe.
2. They are quite heavy.
3. That closure mechanism is bulky and you keep whacking it on projections, and the phillips screw that holds the buckle on likes to come loose.
4. You can't screw in a sprig for grip in super slippery going.

Noted.

I do want a pair of shoes for the missions where I go walk up a hill for a couple of hours and then bomb down some fantastic track. I have a pair of light xc geek shoes for when I want to go fast.

That closure mech sounds a bit dodgy tho...

Hmmm I am a 43 too, I wonder if Bike Vegas still have them?? Bike Biz Colombo did not have any Pearl Izumi shoes in stock. Any other bike shops in Chch that have Pearl Izumi in stock??
inzane

Postby inzane on Thu 27/Nov/08 3:31pm

The lovely people at Grind are getting a couple of pairs in for me to try :)
inzane

Postby implant on Thu 27/Nov/08 5:34pm

Haven't gone through the whole thread, but looking at your photo... why not get some low-rise trail hiking shoes for the walk in, and then swap to bike shoes for ride out? I mean, if you;re talking a 2 hour (plus) hike, then you want something pretty good to hike in!!

I reckon by the time you find the ideal walking/bike shoe, you;ll have sacrificed too much of what makes a bike shoe good. A bit of a faff, fair enough, but on missions i've always found one takes a bit more in the camelbak anyways.

I'm not talking full on tramping boots, but what about some 5:10 'approach' shoes or something similar (eg Merrels, ASolo etc).
implant
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby implant on Thu 27/Nov/08 5:39pm

Oh yeah, personal added plug for Lake MX165. Awesome, if a little heavy. Used for Transrockies, which at times was indeed TransWalkies. Still going strong and i bought them 2 years ago to use for missions in Akatarawas where its usually wet and slippy. Not super stiff, but not like a hiking shoe either. I actually find when slogging up something steep the stiffer sole is better, more supportive platform etc.

Just my 2c... :blush:
implant
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby inzane on Fri 28/Nov/08 8:53am

Nah, there are other missions that I like to do that take about 9 hours, of which 2 or 3 might involve walking... trouble is that there is a lot of rideable bits separated by walking bits. I am not going to change my shoes every 20 mins!!

I have plenty of off road running shoes that would fit the bill if I was to take 2 pair of shoes.
inzane

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts