Entry Level Road Bike

Postby Phippsy on Tue 14/Jan/14 6:17pm

Heloo, My Flatmate's wanting to get into road-biking and he's looking at these from bike barn
http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2014-merida-ride-284.html
http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2014-merida-ride-291.html
http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2014-merida-ride-298.html

I know next to nothing about road bike's and he was wondering if the more expensive one's are worth forking out for?
He's 6ft and 115kg..

Churrr
Phippsy
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Entry Level Road Bike

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Jan/14 7:02pm

The Shimano R501 rear wheel on the 94 is very weak - an 85kg rider might be OK on it for a few years, or could bend it in the first month. At 115kg it is not even worth riding, he would be better buying a suitable handmade rear wheel and flogging off the original one as new.

The 91 has bigger derailleur capacity and a bigger rear sprocket (32 vs 30) which will help on hills.

A 115kg non-racer has no business riding tyres under 28mm wide - even if his ass can handle it the bike won't appreciate it. Can this bike handle 28mm tyres with a slightly wobbly rear wheel? Few modern roadies can. Heavier riders are often better off on a cross bike.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 14/Jan/14 7:10pm

The 105 equiped bike will perform slightly better, gear will last longer and it will devalue slower.

Either choice is an expensive way to test the waters. Better to get a secondhand bike and like ST above typed - make sure its got sturdy wheels :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby znomit on Tue 14/Jan/14 7:11pm

I'd get the red one. Lotsa spokes and Tiagra components are good enough to entry level and bad enough to justify the bump to ultegra if he wants to upgrade.

For entry maybe look at a cross bike though, will handle his weight better and fine for road rides with slicks. If being a roadie doesn't work out its a good commuter or tourer or general fitness bike.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Phippsy on Tue 14/Jan/14 7:44pm

Cheers guys really appreciate the advice , didn't know any of that !
Any recomendations for a cross bike ?
Phippsy
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 15/Jan/14 10:05am

Phippsy wrote:Cheers guys really appreciate the advice , didn't know any of that !
Any recomendations for a cross bike ?

Just get a normal road bike and be mean to it....that'll make it a cross bike :p
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts