No votes
No votes
10+
10%
No votes

Total voters : 21

Enough Already With The Punctures

Postby Rik on Thu 16/Jun/16 10:00am

What Karmic wrongdoing have I performed to anger the gods of road debris.

I've just got my fourth puncture this week. Is this some kind of record?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Enough Already With The Punctures

Postby Kev on Thu 16/Jun/16 10:18am

does it count if you rush to repair a puncture, and neglect to remove the thorn/nail that caused it from the tyre, only to get another puncture before you make it home? Not that I have ever done that.

Haven't had a puncture in months after I switched to anti-puncture Kevlar belted 26" road tyres with polyurethane anti-puncture liners
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Thu 16/Jun/16 11:03am

Getting a puncture is always my cue to buy new tyres for the road bike. Good old Vittoria, Rubino folding :thumbsup:
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16/Jun/16 11:42am

I'd get a flat or two every day commuting if I didn't have good tires. But I have good tires. I barely ever flat. Once or twice a year.

You're either doing yourself no favours with your tire choice, or you're doing something seriously wrong with your riding or picture repairs.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 16/Jun/16 11:55am

I've probably had three or four at one point in time through combos of bad luck/something wrong that it took awhile to pick up upon.

Currently I'm VERY impressed with my clement cx tyres. Must be coming up on 3000km and I think one puncture. The rear is so flat in the middle it often does skidz on anything damp.... :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Thu 16/Jun/16 12:13pm

AgrAde wrote:or picture repairs.

That's where I'm going wrong, I think your auto-correct may be onto something there, less ball peen hammer more tenon saw :p
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16/Jun/16 12:18pm

:D

You never know, you haven't dropped your framing staples all over the garage floor have you? :eh:
AgrAde

Postby el sol on Thu 16/Jun/16 12:30pm

I commute 130 kilometres each week on my fixie from east Christchurch to city. Heaps of glass, shit roads, and a wee blast of gravel near the estuary. I always use 23c, but have had mixed success with various tyre brands. Over summer I used some Maxxis Detonators I had lying around and was getting one puncture per week on average. It spiked at three, but I managed to get it down by running ridiculous pressures. I also started patching my tubes again and haven't had an issue even though some tubes now have four patches. I picked up a set of Continental Touring Plus tyres and haven't had a single puncture in 2.5 months. I held out for a while cos the Detonators were so quick to refit on the side of the road. The Conti's are as tight as a duck's butt.
el sol
Member for: 1 year 4 months

Postby philstar on Thu 16/Jun/16 1:46pm

el sol wrote: I also started patching my tubes again and haven't had an issue even though some tubes now have four patches. I picked up a set of Continental Touring Plus tyres and haven't had a single puncture in 2.5 months

my trick with patching tubes is to keep a whole bunch and do them as a batch job, otherwise the glue goes off before your next puncture. it also makes it more efficient.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16/Jun/16 3:10pm

el sol wrote:Over summer I used some Maxxis Detonators I had lying around and was getting one puncture per week on average. It spiked at three.

It's in the name. Same with the Maxxis Re-Fuse, which has refused to puncture on me in quite a while.
AgrAde

Postby Rik on Thu 16/Jun/16 3:32pm

AgrAde wrote:
el sol wrote:Over summer I used some Maxxis Detonators I had lying around and was getting one puncture per week on average. It spiked at three.

It's in the name. Same with the Maxxis Re-Fuse, which has refused to puncture on me in quite a while.

Just ordered a new pair of re-fuses (my goto commuter tyre). $42 each.The current GP4000 (not a commuter tyre) is clearly NOT up to task.
Rik

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16/Jun/16 4:41pm

I've ridden through the remnants of broken bottles with both, gleefully. The gp feels noticeably faster though.

The gator hardshell is conti's best offering in terms of protection. The conti has better tread protection where maxxis has better sidewall protection.
AgrAde

Postby Philthy on Thu 16/Jun/16 4:48pm

Gatorskins are pretty good. Recently had a good run with Schwalbe Marathon plus 700x25. Pretty bombproof but heavy. Wouldn't trust it on the front, hard compound good for durability but not very grippy.
Back in the day I found CST Flat Fighters to be good value.
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 16/Jun/16 6:49pm

Gatorskins are just the bizniss in a commuting or urban situation. There's no better tyre choice.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby neels on Thu 16/Jun/16 6:57pm

From my previous experience I wouldn't rate gp4000's as a commuting tyre.

I'm running schwalbe lugano's on the roadie at the moment, only one puncture before the rear was so cut up I replaced it, and cheapy CST's kevlar thingies recommended by Keith at cycle trading on the singlespeed with no issues so far........I know, next ride.....

I have found that subscribing to the wank factor of lining the tyre label up with the valve stems is actually a good idea, a couple of times I've found that little bit of glass still stuck in the tyre when I have 2 or more tubes with holes in exactly the same place.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Cycling | Road Tyres | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts