Endurance Sports Without Gels, Drinks, Powders

Postby ENP on Sun 2/Dec/12 9:19am

Endurance sports using whole foods.

Not using high sugar energy drinks, gels or protein powders.

I'm getting quite interested in trying out using whole foods such as potatoes, sandwiches, bananas, dried fruit, etc and then using drinks such as coconut water.

Has anyone done long training sessions or races without the use of all the fancy sports nutrition out there today? What have your experiences been like?
ENP
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Endurance Sports Without Gels, Drinks, Powders

Postby Kiwicyclo on Sun 2/Dec/12 10:13am

Always, water and Bananas . . . . . depends when in the season. Training sessions up to 4 hours are quite comfortable on water, bananas but usually start with a good feed of porridge.

But as you get closer to an event and you plan to use something different than what you have used in training, I find it best to introduce that in to your training.

In 2010 I rode 3200 km around France, Spain and Switzerland in 21 days, I found not being able source my "usual" training / racing products forced me to rely on sandwiches, water, fruit and beer! (500 ml of beer for a few euros at lunch was great).

Anything is do-able.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Sun 2/Dec/12 12:44pm

Kiwicyclo wrote:In 2010 I rode 3200 km around France, Spain and Switzerland in 21 days, I found not being able source my "usual" training / racing products forced me to rely on sandwiches, water, fruit and beer! (500 ml of beer for a few euros at lunch was great).

Anything is do-able.

Agree. A race we were involved in in Italy had stops where the race food consisted of salami, prosciutto, cheese, pastries, bread, bananas, iced tea, red bull, cola and water. And this is in 7 day stage race where the stages averaged 70km and 3500m climbing.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Sun 2/Dec/12 1:57pm

scatter wrote:
Kiwicyclo wrote:In 2010 I rode 3200 km around France, Spain and Switzerland in 21 days, I found not being able source my "usual" training / racing products forced me to rely on sandwiches, water, fruit and beer! (500 ml of beer for a few euros at lunch was great).

Anything is do-able.

Agree. A race we were involved in in Italy had stops where the race food consisted of salami, prosciutto, cheese, pastries, bread, bananas, iced tea, red bull, cola and water. And this is in 7 day stage race where the stages averaged 70km and 3500m climbing.

I've never had a gel. At Cape Epic, I most enjoyed eating 3 or 4 salted boiled spuds in 30 seconds flat. I'm happy eating bananas as long as they don't get squashed. OSMs are fine in warm weather, but I don't enjoy them at all when it's cold.
sifter
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Flynnster on Sun 2/Dec/12 2:36pm

I generally go the banana/muesli bar route and only carry the leppin for emergency back up. I tried sandwiches but found mucking around with gladwrap a pain in the arse. Ems power bars are great.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby ENP on Sun 2/Dec/12 3:02pm

What do you all drink, say on bike rides that take 5-6 hours? Or for events like Ironman?

Surely not just water? As you need salts, electrolytes.
ENP
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Sun 2/Dec/12 3:18pm

ENP wrote:What do you all drink, say on bike rides that take 5-6 hours? Or for events like Ironman?

water :D Sometimes I use Replace from the supermarket, usually at about half strength. Often a small bottle of coke, sometimes diluted. My race nutrition leaves a lot to be desired, but I got round Taupo this year (on a tandem, in record time) on a bottle of water, a one square meal bar, and 500mL of coke. (2 bits of peanut butter and jam on toast and a coffee for breakfast about 45 minutes before the start)
sifter
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby properzel on Sun 2/Dec/12 4:30pm

I do half water half apple juice (freshly made organic), but coconut water is even better I heard. If I run out of that and have to top-up at drink stations in a race for example, water is just fine.

My food is 100% organic medjool dates (4-5 an hour - as I'm 75-ish kg and the rule of sum is 1g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per hour if in training/race), which I take the pits out the day before and store them in the fridge as when they get warm in your pocket it tends to get messy.

I'm on a 90%+ 80/10/10 diet (my backup is brown rice and kumara and the occasional vegan or strict vegetarian fatty junk meal), since a fair bit which helps in general to perform very well as you are only taking clean fuel to you :)
People laugh about it but ones you tried a raw vegan high carb lifestyle plus early nights and heaps of water, and see the difference, it's a no-brainer.

Good luck with whatever you are trying to achieve. And thumbs up for thinking about it at all, as it's not really common in those days society.
properzel
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 2/Dec/12 6:44pm

Dates are small, loaded with energy and easy to eat while riding :thumbsup:

I just eat muesli bars and drink Replace training and save the gels for racing.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Mon 3/Dec/12 6:55am

ENP wrote:What do you all drink, say on bike rides that take 5-6 hours? Or for events like Ironman?

That is a whole different story, nutrition in an Iroman or any other endurance event is a science in it self.

My last ironman was done on good old keywin gels and keywin bodyfuel. That was way back in 1995. Science has come a long way from there.

I now use a product called perpetuem (hammernutritian.co.nz) a soy based whole food is the best way to describe it, I mix it with their electrolite HEED. All good for multi day, multi stage races such as Tour of Southland, I also use water as well to keep hydrated. No gels or anything else during the race.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."

Postby Kiwicyclo on Mon 3/Dec/12 6:56am

Flynnster wrote:I generally go the banana/muesli bar route and only carry the leppin for emergency back up. I tried sandwiches but found mucking around with gladwrap a pain in the arse. Ems power bars are great.

Wrap them in tin foil, not glad wrap. That will fix the fiddle problem :)
Kiwicyclo

Postby cruiser on Mon 3/Dec/12 8:24am

properzel wrote:I do half water half apple juice (freshly made organic), but coconut water is even better I heard. If I run out of that and have to top-up at drink stations in a race for example, water is just fine.

Coconut has the medium chain triglycerides which 'they' say are good for endurance fuel. I would say as a general rule: The harder the intensity, the more sensitive you'll be to the different textures and types of fuel. What is edible training, could be intolerable racing, and that can change with the length of race too. Not everyone will agree with coconut, apple juice or dates at racepace. Try out different things yourself.

There's a place for gels, but you're paying for brand names not extra benefits. One of the things that has been shown true is fatigue is complex, it's not about running out of fuel. Your body will shut down well before then. One way around that has been to have carbs in the mouth sending a message to the brain that food is coming. This is the whole thing around coke at the end, jet planes etc etc. Reality is that coke gets no where near the muscles doing the work, yet has an instant effect just by being in the mouth. Something to think about when racing, even though water is good, the carb drinks may be more useful in some cases
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 3/Dec/12 8:46am

Boiled eggs FTW!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby blitzer maloney on Mon 3/Dec/12 10:51am

cruiser wrote:
properzel wrote:I do half water half apple juice (freshly made organic), but coconut water is even better I heard. If I run out of that and have to top-up at drink stations in a race for example, water is just fine.

One of the things that has been shown true is fatigue is complex, it's not about running out of fuel. Your body will shut down well before then. One way around that has been to have carbs in the mouth sending a message to the brain that food is coming. This is the whole thing around coke at the end, jet planes etc etc. Reality is that coke gets no where near the muscles doing the work, yet has an instant effect just by being in the mouth. Something to think about when racing, even though water is good, the carb drinks may be more useful in some cases

I took part in a study doing a mouth rinse test a few years ago. It was a double blind test so neither myself nor the tester (who was doing the study as part of her PhD) knew what I was having. My results came back showing that just swishing some sugary drink around in my mouth was of no help whatsoever. And that was the general consensus of most of the people that were tested.

That's not to say it will work that way for everyone but what you're saying above isn't gospel either.

My real food when I'm training is Quality Bakers fruit muffin split things. Jam a couple in your pocket, no wrapping needed, enough 'moistness' (mmmm, moistness) to make them fairly easy to get down.
blitzer maloney
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 3/Dec/12 12:27pm

What are the details of that study? Without knowing the details, you could argue the double blind study may just show how much of the effect is mental rather than physical.

Sorry if it came across as sounding gospel, I'm the last one to put blind faith in science. I have found it to be useful from what I've seen with others and experienced. God knows I get fatigued plenty enough to test it out :blush:
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycling - Latest Posts