Is endurance sport a lonely sport?

Yes, it takes up too much time to have relationships.
3%
Nonsense, you just need to find a passive lady.
3%
You need to harden the f#$k up.
8%
Polls are gay.
24%
It's all about balance, yo.
32%
You need to find a lady who sympathizes with the sport.
5%
My bike is my girlfriend.
11%
My girlfriends better than me at endurance sport.
14%

Total voters : 37

Re: Is Endurance Sport A Lonely Sport?

Postby Oli on Tue 22/Sep/09 7:53pm

:withstupid:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Tue 22/Sep/09 8:30pm

Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote:having time pressures does make you more focused. and my training is targetted.. i don't have the time for "just riding", pretty much every time i jump on a bike it has a training purpose. i am either riding hard.. or not riding.

That is the most depressing post Ive read in a long while :(

however i enjoy riding hard, so it works for me. if i did not enjoy it.. i would not be doing it.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 22/Sep/09 8:51pm

A friend of mine does adventure racing and his training is definitely straining his marital relations. The issue of course is the time commitment required in doing the amount of training necessary, even getting up at 4:30 in the morning on the weekday, he still has to spend weekends training.
The real evil here is not training or family, its work :angry: it takes up too much time :angry:
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby musket on Tue 22/Sep/09 8:53pm

I concur.

I always laugh when my girl says "what the hell do ou want to ride before work for? I'm a professional cyclist, I ride PROFESSIONAL hours!".
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Joel on Tue 22/Sep/09 8:54pm

musket wrote:I concur.

I always laugh when my girl says "what the hell do ou want to ride before work for? I'm a professional cyclist, I ride PROFESSIONAL hours!".

:D
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Oli on Tue 22/Sep/09 8:57pm

:lol:
Oli

Postby SteveC on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:03pm

Joel wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
Joel wrote:having time pressures does make you more focused. and my training is targetted.. i don't have the time for "just riding", pretty much every time i jump on a bike it has a training purpose. i am either riding hard.. or not riding.

however i enjoy riding hard, so it works for me. if i did not enjoy it.. i would not be doing it.

I've seen you doing those hard rides and often wondered why you never take an easy day. With all that training its a shame your never seem to use the fitness in a race - your wife must spend a fortune at the hairdressers but ;)
SteveC
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:05pm

:o
Oli

Postby Joel on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:08pm

SteveC wrote:
Joel wrote:
Nick_K wrote:

I've seen you doing those hard rides and often wondered why you never take an easy day. With all that training its a shame your never seem to use the fitness in a race - your wife must spend a fortune at the hairdressers but ;)

:D yeah been a crap early season for me... life as always, interupting... hoping things sort out through october :thumbsup: :paranoid:
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby happybaboon on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:10pm

Lynskey wrote:I gots to thinking I did. Endurance sport takes up a lot of time. This must surely put strain on marital relations, especially if you work full time. I know personally my lady is very supportive of my sports, but she warns me I'm not allowed to do Ironman anytime soon :lol: . Do you lads find that the sport distances you from the non-endurance community, or is finding a balance easy for you? Its a topic thats always interested me, especially w.r.t triathlon, as they can appear to be (and arguably are) quite selfish sports.

You might piss your lady off even more if you just sat around the house all day eating, drinking beer and farting... Endurance sports might actually be good for your relationship, perhaps?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby musket on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:15pm

I believe in that case, your relationship is fucked either way. Not being there just means it's less obvious.

happybaboon wrote:
Lynskey wrote:I gots to thinking I did. Endurance sport takes up a lot of time. This must surely put strain on marital relations, especially if you work full time. I know personally my lady is very supportive of my sports, but she warns me I'm not allowed to do Ironman anytime soon :lol: . Do you lads find that the sport distances you from the non-endurance community, or is finding a balance easy for you? Its a topic thats always interested me, especially w.r.t triathlon, as they can appear to be (and arguably are) quite selfish sports.

You might piss your lady off even more if you just sat around the house all day eating, drinking beer and farting... Endurance sports might actually be good for your relationship, perhaps?
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Ahad on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:57pm

Just have to remember that especially with longterm relationships you have to put a lot into them. Just being "you" won't necessarily be enough. You may pride yourself on your physical prowess and fitness but she/he may not really give one, and the whole thing can bore them shitless. So if you're just out training/ racing the whole time, or at the pub and the rugger with your mates, and don't spend any quality or intimate time with her/him(making a real effort) then your relationship is probably stuffed :( Trouble is you may not even know it...

But get the quality part right, doing all that training etc (within reason) shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I can only do around 10/11hrs a week max(around 7hr atm) so am hardly too hardcore though.
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 22/Sep/09 10:52pm

Oli wrote::withstupid:

Your never going to be a winner with that attitude.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Gordio on Wed 23/Sep/09 5:35am

My Mrs (the beautifull Pamela) was a social Tri geek when we started going out...(training for Ironman so not that social)..I've now managed to turn her to the dark side and she just road races, she has aspirations of a national medal next year (and has won 9 races this year)..
So for us it's no big deal, infact we started heading off on our seperate long rides at 5.30am on Sunday mornings so we could could spend the Arvo together which we do..it's just asleep in front of the Telly!

I guess I'm pretty lucky, we are supportive of each other and she 'get's it'..:cry: I'm tearing up now..
Gordio
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 23/Sep/09 8:04am

SteveC wrote:
Joel wrote:
Nick_K wrote:

Brutal..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport | Road Cycling | Triathlons - Latest Posts