ACT
1%
Conservative
4%
Civilian
3%
Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party
3%
None, I abandoned NZ in the mistaken hope that things would be better in Australia
4%
Other
2%

Total voters : 118

Re: Election 2014

Postby Scotty on Tue 7/Oct/14 7:45am

happybaboon wrote:That's fucking appalling. Police raiding a journalist searching for a source who revealed crimes. I weep for NZ.

Again Blabs, and I realize you're having trouble computing this given you've been told A BAZILLION TIMES by many different users.

No crimes were committed, unethical behaviour, yes, crimes, no.

I realize you've got a raging chubby for getting all high-and-mighty about anything that doesn't quite fit your world view, but your level of retarded hyperbole has gone well past eleven in this thread.

You know that hypocitical dickhole Slater? You're almost on his level... it's that bad. :blink:
Scotty
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 7/Oct/14 8:30am

Sorry,
I forgot that illegally accessing a website by Ede isn't a crime on Planet Key.
And also that everything Judith Collins did is 'totes fine and warrants no police investigation whatsoever.

How can you be adamant that no crimes have been committed when there has been no particular investigation of the matters, save from by the media?
Corruption and bribery of a minister of the crown is a massive crime. There's SURELY sufficient evidence to warrant investigation into Collins over Oravida. But is there any indication of that happening?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Tue 7/Oct/14 11:03am

I agree with Babs - if you actually read Hager's book and believe his evidence (and there's no reason not to - he's not prone to making shit up) then there's plenty of evidence of crimes, mainly of corruption and abuse of powers. The spin is that it's just a bit of unethical behaviour, but of course that's how they'd spin it when caught bald-faced.
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 7/Oct/14 11:37am

Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 7/Oct/14 12:08pm

Oli wrote:I agree with Babs - if you actually read Hager's book and believe his evidence (and there's no reason not to - he's not prone to making shit up) then there's plenty of evidence of crimes, mainly of corruption and abuse of powers. The spin is that it's just a bit of unethical behaviour, but of course that's how they'd spin it when caught bald-faced.

Yes, and the crimes are extremely serious, they go to the root of democracy. Key's dismissal is based on the fact that most potential National voters won't read the book or care about it.

The police can not avoid investigating Hager since he is the obvious line of enquiry into Rawshark's obvious and serious crime, which I imagine Slater has made a formal complaint about.

It would be disastrous for the police to decide for themselves whether the whistleblowing justified breaking the law.
That is for the courts to consider when deciding the penalty. I don't imagine the court would have any option but to convict the hacker, given sufficient evidence.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby banga on Tue 7/Oct/14 3:14pm

Stay classy Hone

"One of the good things about not conceding, for those of you in politics, is if you concede on the night all your travel benefits stop at 12 o'clock," Mr Harawira said.

"If you don't [concede], you get to fly round the country and go and see all your people for the next two weeks."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... au-recount
banga
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 7/Oct/14 3:34pm

what a dick
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Farm on Tue 7/Oct/14 3:48pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Oli wrote:I agree with Babs - if you actually read Hager's book and believe his evidence (and there's no reason not to - he's not prone to making shit up) then there's plenty of evidence of crimes, mainly of corruption and abuse of powers. The spin is that it's just a bit of unethical behaviour, but of course that's how they'd spin it when caught bald-faced.

Yes, and the crimes are extremely serious, they go to the root of democracy. Key's dismissal is based on the fact that most potential National voters won't read the book or care about it.

The police can not avoid investigating Hager since he is the obvious line of enquiry into Rawshark's obvious and serious crime, which I imagine Slater has made a formal complaint about.

It would be disastrous for the police to decide for themselves whether the whistleblowing justified breaking the law.
That is for the courts to consider when deciding the penalty. I don't imagine the court would have any option but to convict the hacker, given sufficient evidence.

I haven't read the book so ignore this question if you like since it's uninformed.
What led to the hacking? Was there evidence that Slater was working with the Nats and the hacking just confirmed it? What if they'd just found letters to his Mum, shopping lists and Twilight fan fiction? Go hack someone else, see what you find?
Not trying to start a fight, I'll read the book when someone lends me a copy.
Farm
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby michael on Tue 7/Oct/14 4:27pm

Farm wrote:I haven't read the book so ignore this question if you like since it's uninformed.
What led to the hacking? Was there evidence that Slater was working with the Nats and the hacking just confirmed it? What if they'd just found letters to his Mum, shopping lists and Twilight fan fiction? Go hack someone else, see what you find?

Jason Ede's role had been speculated about for a long time (and he'd been busted once before: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... h-pic-duty) , there was some stuff around a friend of Slaters running his mouth about an event that hadn't yet happened yet (see: http://dimpost.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/entities/) and a blog post that appeared before a journo had asked the questions he had been put up to, rather than after. On top of that there was speculation and quiet words from insiders, as the whole story reads like a conspiracy story if you drew it from those tid bits alone.

What allegedly kicked off the hacking was someone getting angry about Slater making fun of the death of Judd Hall (http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/w ... oast-crash) who was the 4th and final child of that family to die. That event ties back in at the end of the book also. The hacker found evidence of illegal and unethical behaviour from car mechanics in Turangi all the way to Cabinet ministers in Wellington, and decided to hand it over to Nicky Hager.

Both Hager and the hacker have acknowledged that what the hacker did was illegal, but not stealing as everyone would have you believe, instead "Accessing computer system without authorisation". Hager has been very careful to ensure everything he published from the material was in the public interest.

If you are Wellington based you are welcome to borrow my copy!
Last edited by michael on Tue 7/Oct/14 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 7/Oct/14 4:32pm

michael wrote:
Farm wrote:I haven't read the book so ignore this question if you like since it's uninformed.

Jason Ede's role had been speculated about for a long time (and he'd been busted once before: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... h-pic-duty) , there was some stuff around a friend of Slaters running his mouth about an event that hadn't yet happened yet (see: http://dimpost.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/entities/) and a blog post that appeared before a journo had asked the questions he had been put up to, rather than after. On top of that there was speculation and quiet words from insiders, as the whole story reads like a conspiracy story if you drew it from those tid bits alone.

What allegedly kicked off the hacking was someone getting angry about Slater making fun of the death of Judd Hall (http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/w ... oast-crash) who was the 4th and final child of that family to die. That event ties back in at the end of the book also.

If you are Wellington based you are welcome to borrow my copy!
It'd been known that Slater had a cosey snuggley relationship with Collins, and to a lesser extent Key, for a longlongloveyoulong time. But the evidence was all circumstantial. No More!
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Farm on Tue 7/Oct/14 6:38pm

Thanks. I assumed there would have been something substantial that kicked it off.
I've got a loaner on offer at work already so I'll chase it up again.
Farm
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 8/Oct/14 10:29am

good to see a few of his supporters are stumping up and putting there money where their mouth has been for the last few months

Nicky Hager - Give a Little
dwgknz
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 8/Oct/14 11:14am

Yep.

I've asked for independent verification that it's actually helpful to Hager, and once I get that I'll be throwing some money that way. I suspect he won't need to pay lawyer fees as such though, what with the former high court judges who backed what he did... Maybe he can use it to replace all the stuff the cops took.
happybaboon

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 11:56am

:)

cartoon.jpg
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:01pm

Fark, that givealittle campaign is going bonkers. Nearly at $20K.

I couldn't resist - donated a buck o' five on the grounds that that is the well known cost of freedom. I'll donate more later once I know it's legit.
happybaboon

National Politics | Paddling | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts