Re: :edit: Boobies!! (the Govt Scorecard)

Postby its that guy on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:31pm

wuffy wrote:
its that guy wrote:First past the post can suck my ball sack long time.

That's very caveman like, typical wellingtonian. It's good for the simplicity, the elected Gov. can be named within 30 mins of pols being closed. With MMP, I think the longest was 6 weeks? Cause of Winnie the Poo (Winston Peters) being a right prick about it when him and NZ First were the "king maker".

:hmmm: Its going to cut out smaller party's... Like the greens
Its just going to nat's vs labour...
Last edited by its that guy on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:32pm

wuffy wrote:

That's very caveman like, typical wellingtonian. It's good for the simplicity, the elected Gov. can be named within 30 mins of pols being closed. With MMP, I think the longest was 6 weeks? Cause of Winnie the Poo (Winston Peters) being a right prick about it when him and NZ First were the "king maker".

how old were you when that happened?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:41pm

Wobbler wrote:
wuffy wrote:

... and it hasn't happened since. Simplicity is good for simple people, history shows that if NZ govt has a problem it's the speed with which cabinet can drive law making, govt should (usually, there are exceptions to every rule) grind slow but very fine. IMHO
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby its that guy on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:42pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
Wobbler wrote:
wuffy wrote:

... and it hasn't happened since. Simplicity is good for simple people, history shows that if NZ govt has a problem it's the speed with which cabinet can drive law making, govt should (usually, there are exceptions to every rule) grind slow but very fine. IMHO

This man speaks truth.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 29/Apr/10 11:20pm

Wobbler wrote:
wuffy wrote:

But we've been studying electoral systems in Political Science ;)

CrustyMTB wrote:... and it hasn't happened since. Simplicity is good for simple people, history shows that if NZ govt has a problem it's the speed with which cabinet can drive law making, govt should (usually, there are exceptions to every rule) grind slow but very fine. IMHO

IMO I think Proportional Representative is the way to go for NZ. Simple and straightforward with fair and even results that reflect the actual views of the Voters. But mind you, I also think a dictatorship with me as the dictator would be pretty good too :p
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 29/Apr/10 11:56pm

MMP is probably a good option for NZ. Without the checks and balances of a federal system or multi house system, FPP - especially with short terms (3-4yrs) could be too schizophrenic.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 30/Apr/10 8:07pm

j2hyde wrote:MMP is probably a good option for NZ. Without the checks and balances of a federal system or multi house system, FPP - especially with short terms (3-4yrs) could be too schizophrenic.
Could be and was, if you remember the flipflops we went through in the 70's and early 80's.

New question who would you vote for if the election was tomorrow?

I thought about it and I honestly think I'd vote for an independant, none of the parties around at the moment deserve my vote at present.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby Ski on Sat 1/May/10 12:15pm

NZ elections are pretty much irrelevant. As long as Labour and National candidates have to go through a job interview every three years, they're not going to do anything remotely forward thinking. They wear red and blue so the punters can pick a team but they're exactly the feckin same. Anderton and Hide talk up their ends of the spectrum but then ultimately have to gravitate to the centre to get a job. I personally wouldn't vote for them but at least the Greens seem to believe what they're selling.

I pay too much friggin tax. Any prick who's been on an unemployment benefit for longer than 6 months can fck off and get a job picking fruit or sweeping a floor somewhere. I don't give a sh!t if your life is tough, it's not my problem. Get someone you know to chip in and help you out. I'll do the same for my friends and family. Sickness beneficiaries can p!ss off too. When did that start? As for paid parental leave. Jesus Christ, I don't expect some poor single bloke or sheila to front up and pay for my decision to have kids.

I send my kids to private school and I've got medical insurance so I think I'd like a tax rebate please.

I'll vote for that. Rant over.
Ski
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby bugle on Sat 1/May/10 1:18pm

Didnt vote for them and I despair at where they are heading

Jerry the Hut made me lol, I'll be using it
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 11/Sep/11 3:49pm

CrustyMTB wrote: ... we need to make the term 4 (or 5) years not 3, reanimate an upper house and ban all electoral polling outside of an election year (or the electorate needs to grow/shape/smarten up)

We had a referendumb on increasing the term. Unfortunately it was held just after some particularly obnoxious behaviour from parliament (Winston's 6-week virtuoso performance maybe?) so the mood was to keep politicians on a short leash. Counterproductive I thought, the short term forces politicians to pay too much attention to the whims of the largely ignorant public.

There is clearly a lot of room for growing up and smartening up the electorate. This seems feasible when compared with the difficulties of, say, seabed mining with snorkel and flippers.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sun 11/Sep/11 11:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 11/Sep/11 8:49pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote: ... we need to make the term 4 (or 5) years not 3, reanimate an upper house and ban all electoral polling outside of an election year (or the electorate needs to grow/shape/smarten up)

We had a referendumb on increasing the term. Unfortunately it was held just after some particularly obnoxious behaviour from parliament (Winston's 6-week virtuoso performance maybe?) so the mood was to keep politicians on a short leash. Counterproductive I thought.

There is clearly a lot of room for growing up and smartening up the electorate. This seems feasible when compared with the difficulties of, say, seabed mining with snorkel and flippers.
I stand behind almost everything I posted. I was listening to an interview with Len Brown this morning talking about the inner chitty rail loop. Cost of 2.2 Billion. So if the bailout of SCF hadn't happened half of that bill would be paid. Just saying.

But... is there actually an election coming up?
CrustyMTB

Postby BikeKiller on Sun 11/Sep/11 9:41pm

:( Never have I been so disappointed in a thread that has boobies in the title.
BikeKiller
"Hurro"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 11/Sep/11 9:45pm

here ya go
boobies-2.jpg
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 11/Sep/11 10:07pm

Well, Len Brown isn't so bad really... Seems like a fairly reasonable guy with solid ideas. So the supercity thing hasn't been a total clusterfuck. Otherwise National haven't really done much of anything... Except completely blow the budget. Here's an interesting graph I nicked off wikipedia. Scary shit, that. Perhaps they shouldn't have given all those rich people them massive tax cuts afterall...?
614px-NZ_Govt_debt_1990-2011.svg.png
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby DropKick on Sun 11/Sep/11 10:21pm

happybaboon wrote:Here's an interesting graph I nicked off wikipedia. Scary shit, that. Perhaps they shouldn't have given all those rich people them massive tax cuts afterall...?

Labour voting commies can produce graphs like that till the cows come home - but it doesnt matter whether it was John Key or George Jetson in charge, the countries finances would've been fucked after the past few years (obviously one can argue the extent of that, but the graph is a bit of a silly analogy when the biggest expence Aunty Helen faced was a dentist bill).
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Environment | Europe | Local Politics | National Politics | New Zealand | Poland | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts