Easter Coasting On Croesus And Kirwans Tracks

Postby inzane on Thu 16/Apr/09 12:58pm

Ah, Easter riding road trip. The crisp mornings, the mud and the snow on the tops of the hills!

We went to the West Coast and first of all rode the Croesus track.
043.JPG

067.JPG

The full story is over here http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand.co. ... 09-part-1/

Beer and food at the pub "Formerly the Blackball Hilton", stayed the night and then it was over to Reefton to ride Kirwans
134.JPG

148.JPG

with the full story here http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand.co. ... ard-track/

Then we were off to Westport for a couple of evenings. Tim showed us around some of the historic trails around Denniston on Sunday and then we popped over to Hanmer on Monday and I had a quick blat around the forest before heading home again.

Mmmm 4 days of biking goodness :thumbsup:
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Easter Coasting On Croesus And Kirwans Tracks

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 16/Apr/09 1:25pm

J for very very very jealous. I need another riding holiday.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 16/Apr/09 6:47pm

:love: West Coast pack tracks :love:

Nice reports Zane :thumbsup: Now I can see why Tim was a bit on the cruisy side on Monday! Good to see the pics of Kirwans. I was planning on doing that on Monday but seeing as Tim had just done it with you we went elsewhere. After running up half of it (to 820m) a few weeks back I am really looking forward to riding it. I'm thinking I could head over one weekend and ride Kirwans one day and spend some time on the end of a grubber on Tim's project track the other day.
Last edited by XCguy on Sun 10/May/09 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:53pm

Tim had it easy on the Sunday... he should have been nicely recovered for you on Monday :D He must be getting slow what with living on the West Coast and all :p

I actually took some helmet cam of Kirwans on the way down, but it looks pretty nasty when i compress it enough to load to youtube or anything.

Might have to try just loading a short bit up to Vorb...
inzane

Postby inzane on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:01pm

Now with added video

kirwans-reward-t94990.html
inzane

Postby Scotty on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:04pm

ohhhh! I likey the looky of this. :love:
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby inzane on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:13pm

Scotty wrote:ohhhh! I likey the looky of this. :love:

Just be warned. 3 hours for fit people to get to the top (actually 2.18 for some I believe) but it is more like 4 or 5 hours of technical granny gear climbing if people are not very fit. It is about 1000m vertical to get to the hut, and there can be a fair amount of climbing over trees/slips etc.

Damn good fun once you get to the top and turn around tho :)
inzane

Postby Tama on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:18pm

inzane wrote:

Just be warned. 3 hours for fit people to get to the top (actually 2.18 for some I believe) but it is more like 4 or 5 hours of technical granny gear climbing if people are not very fit. It is about 1000m vertical to get to the hut, and there can be a fair amount of climbing over trees/slips etc.

Or you can get Al to take you to the top in his helicopter: http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing ... pters-ltd/

Here's a video I did a while back from further down Kirwans: mellow-west-coast-trail-clip-t27508.html :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:20pm

inzane wrote:

Hmmmm, so an overnighter in my current pie-endowed form then.

I'm up for it... probably in Spring though. :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:32pm

I would do Croesus twice before I would ride Kirwins.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby XCguy on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:33pm

inzane wrote:Tim had it easy on the Sunday... he should have been nicely recovered for you on Monday :D He must be getting slow what with living on the West Coast and all :p

He said he had a hard 3 hour ride on Sunday (at Denniston?), then an easier one in the afternoon i think.

Perhaps he was just riding in cruise mode because he thought that's all I could handle, being a soft townie and all :lol:
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:38pm

phunk wrote:I would do Croesus twice before I would ride Kirwins.

I would do them both back to back again any time. Both have different attributes and terrain. The entry/exit of Kirwans is not great, but the top section is well worth the climb! I find the top section of Kirwans has more flow and leafy drift than Croesus.

However if I only had time to do one I am likely to just go to Croesus.
inzane

Postby phunk on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:40pm

I think we stopped for photos too many times on Kirwins, whereas it was raining when we did Croesus so we just bombed down, but i still rate Croesus higher than Kirwins. Must get back to reasses!
phunk
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:48pm

phunk wrote:I think we stopped for photos too many times on Kirwins, whereas it was raining when we did Croesus so we just bombed down, but i still rate Croesus higher than Kirwins. Must get back to reasses!

I think that as a climb the croesus was easier than kirwans. Definitely not as steep, and less "singletracky" if that makes sense. I think I prefer the surroundings of kirwans, but in terms of the fun I had on the ride, croesus was better. Especially standing around in the rain with you waiting for everyone to turn up :love:
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby inzane on Fri 17/Apr/09 4:55pm

Yep, Croesus I was climbing 2 or 3 gears harder on my cassette than Kirwans. Croesus there is less getting off to climb over trees/slips than Kirwans too.
inzane

Cycling | Epic Riding | Greymouth | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Reefton | Regions | Trail Riding | West Coast | Westport | What I Did For My Easter Holidays - Latest Posts