Re: Earthquake!

Postby Conners on Mon 14/Nov/16 9:05pm

scatter wrote:I just heard on One News that they reckon the rail link will be back up and running in the next few days. I lol'd.

I thought I heard that too - but I rewound it as I couldn't believe they'd be so stupid. They actually said it would be a few days before they knew how long it would take to clear.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 15/Nov/16 8:06am

Best emergency lighting! 1500 lumens and the paper towel holder.

Got plenty of torches and lamps but this was the only way to clean up the flooded dining room on Sunday night when the power was out. Lit the room brighter than the lights on the lowest setting.

IMG_5162.JPG
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Tue 15/Nov/16 9:02am

dwgknz wrote:Best emergency lighting! 1500 lumens and the paper towel holder.

Got plenty of torches and lamps but this was the only way to clean up the flooded dining room on Sunday night when the power was out. Lit the room brighter than the lights on the lowest setting.

IMG_5162.JPG

Creative thinking! Did they not overheat without any airflow?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 15/Nov/16 9:12am

Didn't even consider that!
dwgknz

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 15/Nov/16 10:50am

Golly I hope there's not another earthquake in Welly in the next few days, or there could be a lot of slips :(
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 16/Nov/16 1:59pm

Realised the wooden floor is buckling where the water cooler toppled over and spilt on Sunday night. :(

Have raised a claim with EQC.....
dwgknz

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 16/Nov/16 7:11pm

jo wrote:Anyone with views how long SH1 is going to take to fix? Is my summer road trip in jeopardy?
*she says as the house rattles away*

*scurries back to the garden*

Depends on the rate at which the govt is willing to spend money. It would also depend on how much material you are willing to dump into the sea. There isn't much flat ground that you could place fill on there, so if you weren't willing to dump into the sea you would be trucking it a long was which would cost $$$$$ and slow down the rate of repairs.

I suspect it may much take longer to design and permit the road than to actually build it.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 16/Nov/16 8:59pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:I suspect it may much take longer to design and permit the road than to actually build it.

That describes just about every civil project in this country for the last 30 years
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 22/Nov/16 1:18pm

They couldn't possibly push all those slips into the sea.
they would need to enter into years of consultation with local Iwi who would no doubt say it would effect some cultural long forgotten burial site and bring up the damage it would cause to the (already dead)sea life.
but once a payment of several million had been pd they would be happy. just got the years of public consultation and legal money wrangles to get through then.

I think i f i had a business in Kaikoura i would be shifting pretty quickly to the new SH1 and buying a business in Murch.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Rik on Tue 22/Nov/16 2:01pm

There's less whales to see there though
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 22/Nov/16 2:20pm

Rik wrote:There's less whales to see there though

no they are not real whales anyway its just a mechanical tail that lifts up - been fooling the punters for years.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 22/Nov/16 8:10pm

Rik wrote:There's less whales to see there though

You cant call them that anymore.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Tue 22/Nov/16 9:47pm

Wobbler wrote:
Rik wrote:There's less edible research material to see there though

You cant call them that anymore.

Sorry missed that memo. FTFY
Rik

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 24/Nov/16 12:01pm

A good deal for your emergency kits. Bonus it'll keep itself topped up & has torch with SOS flash https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/1DB ... power-bank
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts