Re: Earthquake!

Postby jo on Mon 14/Nov/16 12:50pm

Anyone with views how long SH1 is going to take to fix? Is my summer road trip in jeopardy?
*she says as the house rattles away*

*scurries back to the garden*
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Nov/16 1:18pm

No longer at the transport agency so not definitive, but hours/ days to get moving then weeks/ months to repair.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby jo on Mon 14/Nov/16 1:24pm

Ta dwgnz. :thumbsup:
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Nov/16 1:32pm

If the ferry dock is as bent at both ends as they're saying and therefore the rail bridge isn't working they'll need to stick everything on trucks down SH1. So depends on how long the mainlanders can go without supplies from the North. High priority to have something open.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby jo on Mon 14/Nov/16 1:44pm

Yah I knew it would be a high priority but did think that slip by the double tunnels would be tricky to stabilise. But as you say, if you throw enough resource at it (assuming the country stops shaking long enough) you can accomplish many things.
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby scatter on Mon 14/Nov/16 2:34pm

The aftershocks are making me feel really quite ill with motion sickness :huh:
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby rachelr on Mon 14/Nov/16 3:33pm

:baaa: yes! they're all swimmy/flowy aftershocks. I think I prefer the short sharp ones
rachelr
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby Barbsarama on Mon 14/Nov/16 4:32pm

Yeh I feel like I'm on a boat, can't tell what's an after shock and what's just me!
Barbsarama
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby Mel on Mon 14/Nov/16 5:03pm

I think SH1 and the Rail line will be out of action for months. There is a lot of material to clear, then stabilise the slopes (probably not achievable, but they'll do some type of remedial work), then repair the road and rail. Roughly in that order, with quite a lot of nail biting and nervous glances at each other. :paranoid:
Mel
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby jo on Mon 14/Nov/16 5:31pm

:crazy:
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 14/Nov/16 5:50pm

Barbsarama wrote:Yeh I feel like I'm on a boat, can't tell what's an after shock and what's just me!

This, I always get lots of personal earthquakes afterwards.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Nov/16 6:58pm

Mel wrote:I think SH1 and the Rail line will be out of action for months. There is a lot of material to clear, then stabilise the slopes (probably not achievable, but they'll do some type of remedial work), then repair the road and rail. Roughly in that order, with quite a lot of nail biting and nervous glances at each other. :paranoid:


Yeah saw some of the stuff this afternoon, lot more than I had thought had come down, days might of been a bit optimistic. That big slip looks similar to the Manawatu Gorge one that took 18 months to reopen :crazy:

If they try to push too much stuff through the Lewis Pass for months they'll end up smashing that route pretty quickly.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby Mel on Mon 14/Nov/16 7:34pm

dwgknz wrote:
Mel wrote:I think SH1 and the Rail line will be out of action for months. There is a lot of material to clear, then stabilise the slopes (probably not achievable, but they'll do some type of remedial work), then repair the road and rail. Roughly in that order, with quite a lot of nail biting and nervous glances at each other. :paranoid:


Yeah saw some of the stuff this afternoon, lot more than I had thought had come down, days might of been a bit optimistic. That big slip looks similar to the Manawatu Gorge one that took 18 months to reopen :crazy:

If they try to push too much stuff through the Lewis Pass for months they'll end up smashing that route pretty quickly.

Goes to show how vulnerable our infrastructure is with little resilience of the network as a whole. Still, I don't think anyone would like to pay the taxes and rates, etc to fund a robust transport network. :lol:

We are going to have to be very patient on this one, probably pay a lot more for freight between islands and Jo needs to look at alternative plans for her summer holiday (sorry Jo).

Feeling very sorry for the communities affected.
Mel
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby scatter on Mon 14/Nov/16 8:35pm

I just heard on One News that they reckon the rail link will be back up and running in the next few days. I lol'd.
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Earthquake!

Postby dwgknz on Mon 14/Nov/16 8:54pm

Mel wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
Mel wrote:I think SH1 and the Rail line will be out of action for months. There is a lot of material to clear, then stabilise the slopes (probably not achievable, but they'll do some type of remedial work), then repair the road and rail. Roughly in that order, with quite a lot of nail biting and nervous glances at each other. :paranoid:


Yeah saw some of the stuff this afternoon, lot more than I had thought had come down, days might of been a bit optimistic. That big slip looks similar to the Manawatu Gorge one that took 18 months to reopen :crazy:

If they try to push too much stuff through the Lewis Pass for months they'll end up smashing that route pretty quickly.

Goes to show how vulnerable our infrastructure is with little resilience of the network as a whole. Still, I don't think anyone would like to pay the taxes and rates, etc to fund a robust transport network. :lol:

We are going to have to be very patient on this one, probably pay a lot more for freight between islands and Jo needs to look at alternative plans for her summer holiday (sorry Jo).

Feeling very sorry for the communities affected.


People (the Government) don't even want to pay to maintain the highway network we've got! Flat maintenance budgets where inflation and users facing years of the assets being sweat. Slips have always been one area where I thought the agency took a very hands off and relaxed approach.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts

Who is online

49 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop