Dropper For Fat/tall Rider

Postby cep32 on Tue 27th Jun 1:35pm

At 110kg and 6'8" tall I'm proving to be a bit of a challenge for dropper posts.

I have already wrecked the KS that came with my bike and the Bontrager one on the bike now is on its way out after only a couple of months of use.

All the threads I've seen on the interweb are full of riders telling everyone how great the dropper they have is or how terrible the one they just got rid of was. Anyone here in the industry seen any trends around what seems to work for larger riders.

At this point I'm thinking a 9point8 Fall Line but even that seems to suffer from a few issues with the brake getting contaminated and no longer gripping.

Any ideas?
cep32
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Dropper For Fat/tall Rider

Postby Dougal on Wed 28th Jun 9:12am

What issues did you have with the KS and Bontrager?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby cep32 on Wed 28th Jun 9:20am

KS started sagging in its travel by 10mm or so after three or four rides. The post was rebuilt (whatever that means) twice and each time it didn't help.

Bontrager has lasted 2 months but even with cleaning of the stanchion after every ride and cleaning under the collar and replacing the grease every three rides (or after every wet ride) the anodising is wearing off the stanchion. There is also about 2 degrees sideways (not rotational) movement between the stanchion and the lower post which I'm guessing means the bushings are toast. I have serviced it and the grease inside looked new and uncontaminated.

I don't mind maintaining a post but if I do then I expect it to last a long time.
cep32

Postby Dougal on Wed 28th Jun 9:57am

cep32 wrote:KS started sagging in its travel by 10mm or so after three or four rides. The post was rebuilt (whatever that means) twice and each time it didn't help.

Bontrager has lasted 2 months but even with cleaning of the stanchion after every ride and cleaning under the collar and replacing the grease every three rides (or after every wet ride) the anodising is wearing off the stanchion. There is also about 2 degrees sideways (not rotational) movement between the stanchion and the lower post which I'm guessing means the bushings are toast. I have serviced it and the grease inside looked new and uncontaminated.

I don't mind maintaining a post but if I do then I expect it to last a long time.

KS post sagging is air in the oil. Not many people service the cartridge in those, they just swap in a new one. Which may or may not help. If that was the only issue then a proper cartridge rebuild should sort it. They're generally very reliable.

I've not been inside a Bontrager post yet. Can't keep up with the dozens of different brands and models. There's a new one being launched next week.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby cep32 on Wed 28th Jun 12:12pm

I thin replacement of the cartridge is all Roam did for the KS post. All up I went through three cartridges. They lasted for between 3 and 8 rides each. I figure they aren't designed for 110kg given the failure rate.

The Bontrager is basically a Giant Contact with the internals rotated 90 degrees. Pretty simple design.
cep32

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Seatposts - Latest Posts