Re: 1x Drivetrains

Postby wachtourak on Thu 11/Jun/15 5:58pm

AgrAde wrote:The XT is a double hence the need for giant spacers. The raceface is a triple, but it's more inboard than other triples for whatever strange reason (cranks are still centre to frame). Thus it's perfect.

Most bikes I see set up in 1x use doubles (which is horrible) or 1x specific cranks like the new srams or raceface cinch etc, which still aren't perfect. It's good to see people making offset rings that put things a little further inboard now.

I gave my double specific XT to the mrs and got the m980 triple for this very reason. Chainline seems fine with that crank.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 11/Jun/15 6:04pm

AgrAde wrote:With a 1x you have:

-heavier cassette if cheap (unsprung mass ruins suspension performance)
-really frikken expensive cassette if light ($500 for a consumable... what!)
-bigger jumps between each gear
-worse chainline
-more use of the tiny end of the cassette which means more drivetrain wear
-no emergency granny button for surprise climbs
-less range

But you get:
-marginally increased reliability
-decreased weight (only slight if cheap setup, especially if using a chainguide)
-consistent suspension performance under load (whether it's good or not depends on if your chainring size chosen to match your fitness happens to match the frame design).
-simpler cockpit (because we all need room for that dropper lever to go UNDER the handlebar)

So you could argue that if you're happy with the reliability of 2x and you don't want to spend heaps of money then there's very little reason to throw away the front derailleur.

Spot on.
You'd also have to get a new rear mech cage to restore the shift quality if you're worried about it.
Thought of going to 1x for the hardtail rebuild but I already have a front mech and granny ring so the cheaper option is rather tempting.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 11/Jun/15 6:16pm

michael wrote:The difference between a 38/26 crankset with 11-36 casette and a 32 with 11-40 cassette (11-36 w/ after market 40t) is 2 gears at the top and 1 the bottom.

People get a bit worked up about what is very little in reality.

Might aswell run 6 speed, its only a few less gears :thumbsup:
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 11/Jun/15 6:41pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
AgrAde wrote:With a 1x you have:

-heavier cassette if cheap (unsprung mass ruins suspension performance)
-really frikken expensive cassette if light ($500 for a consumable... what!)
-bigger jumps between each gear
-worse chainline
-more use of the tiny end of the cassette which means more drivetrain wear
-no emergency granny button for surprise climbs
-less range

But you get:
-marginally increased reliability
-decreased weight (only slight if cheap setup, especially if using a chainguide)
-consistent suspension performance under load (whether it's good or not depends on if your chainring size chosen to match your fitness happens to match the frame design).
-simpler cockpit (because we all need room for that dropper lever to go UNDER the handlebar)

So you could argue that if you're happy with the reliability of 2x and you don't want to spend heaps of money then there's very little reason to throw away the front derailleur.

Spot on.
You'd also have to get a new rear mech cage to restore the shift quality if you're worried about it.
Thought of going to 1x for the hardtail rebuild but I already have a front mech and granny ring so the cheaper option is rather tempting.

I'm going to go 1x9, 11-32 on my hardtail. I plan on hating myself every time there's a hill.

It'll save me about 200g over the 1x10 11-40 that's on it at the moment :D Old X0 stuff is light as fuck.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Thu 11/Jun/15 9:57pm

Chainline? What's that? lolololol.

I run 1x8 (32ring and 11-32cassette) on the hardtail and 1x9 (32ring and 12-36) on the fully for all my riding.... I love it cos I don't usually get the opportunity to ride for than a few hours at a time so day long back country or jungle slog fests, where I'd appreciate a granny ring, aren't even on the menu... :paranoid:

Also, the relatively short rides I go on can be a great way to rip my self to pieces in a small time span with the 1x set up too... and I kinda like having no bail out gear when I'm really hurting...

It's kinda like singlespeeding when you get to the realisation that you can't spin anymore so you have to click UP a couple of gears and stand up or bitch out (which I'm also okay with) and walk... :thumbsup:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 11/Jun/15 10:37pm

mudlover/hater wrote:Chainline? What's that? lolololol.

lolololol
AgrAde

Postby jimmi71 on Fri 12/Jun/15 6:41am

1 x 9 for me too. I havent missed the small or large chainrings, cos if I think I should be in the small ring its time to stand up and pedal, and if I think I should be shifting to the large ring its time to sit down and aero tuck.
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 12/Jun/15 8:09am

1x10 here, 32, 11-40, and with the 40 being aluminium and losing the 15 and 17 to a 16, i can't see how that's heavier than a std 11-36...?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 12/Jun/15 1:18pm

swtchbckr wrote:1x10 here, 32, 11-40, and with the 40 being aluminium and losing the 15 and 17 to a 16, i can't see how that's heavier than a std 11-36...?

Because the 40t weighs more than the 15 or 17
Wobbler

Postby Scotty on Sat 13/Jun/15 7:32am

I was hoping someone would do this, I've been on lockdown with exams.

I've been goggling like a mofo lately trying to find an up-to date comparative gear chart that lays all the different ratios out on one sheet so I can chew it all down.

Anything that's 1X I end up spinning the hell out of going down and grunt it back up, becuase I live at the top of a very steep hill. Now, I could get fitter which would take care of the up and just sit up on the downs and cruise. But with a 2x setup I get the best of both worlds, and I can't remember the last time I threw a chain.

In short, with 2x I'm having my cake and eating it too, with 1x I need to put the cake down.

I like cake.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 13/Jun/15 9:22am

Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:1x10 here, 32, 11-40, and with the 40 being aluminium and losing the 15 and 17 to a 16, i can't see how that's heavier than a std 11-36...?

Yeah, but fuck all more. Alu vs steel...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 13/Jun/15 10:58am

Depends how much you count grams, and if you're comparing with similar costs.

An XT cassette with 1-up 42+16 treatment is 400g. An XTR 11-34 is about the same price, and 250g.
AgrAde

Postby Wobbler on Sat 13/Jun/15 11:04am

swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:

Yeah, but fuck all more. Alu vs steel...

"Sprocket weight: 18g (16T), 70g (40T)"

from oneup
Wobbler

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 13/Jun/15 11:06am

Weight of standard 15 and 17 plz.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 13/Jun/15 11:09am

19g for whichever one is thrown out