Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Cabin on Fri 26/Jun/09 9:57am

Maybe I should be posting this on my coaching blog, but in the interests on community service I'll post it here.

Our heartfelt warning to you.... do not believe everything you read. True, many articles full of tips and advice are really quite useful. and most publications are pretty trustworthy, reputable sources. But not always. Read with a critical eye, as sometimes lazy journalism takes hold.

Case in point, the latest issue of Triathlete magazine, featuring "11 Pro Dirt Junkies Bike Handling Tips". You'll see below Nic looking a little perplexed whilst reading said advice. Not only is the published advice from different riders conflicting, but some of it is just plan sketchy. How about these gems

"avoid using your front brake, and tap your rear brake to control speed..."Might explain tv pic's of that rider totally out of control and crashing out of XTERRA worlds 2 years ago on the plunge?!

Or "Practice using your rear brake heavily, and slide around switchbacks." Rightio then. That'll ensure mint traction?!

Like I said, always read advice with a critical eye.

Image "Do not use front brake. Brake heavily with the rear. Hmmm. Didn't Gabby say to practice descending using only the front brake to stay centered and controlled?"
Image


Link to original article: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/2009/06 ... -read.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/feeds/p ... lt?alt=rss
Original Published: 9:31am Thursday, 25th June 2009 - NZST
Cabin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby danose on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:01am

mate - it's triathlete mag, what do you expect! Next month they'll be running the followup article 'how to road ride like a pro triathlete', with tips on how not to hold a line, sit on the aerobars in the middle of a bunch and crash randomly :D
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:04am

I don't believe it.
Bigfoot
User avatar
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:30am

danose wrote:mate - it's triathlete mag, what do you expect! Next month they'll be running the followup article 'how to road ride like a pro triathlete', with tips on how not to hold a line, sit on the aerobars in the middle of a bunch and crash randomly :D


so cynical at such a young age.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby danose on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:39am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
danose wrote:mate - it's triathlete mag, what do you expect! Next month they'll be running the followup article 'how to road ride like a pro triathlete', with tips on how not to hold a line, sit on the aerobars in the middle of a bunch and crash randomly :D


so cynical at such a young age.


I want a top that says "I rode with a triathlete and LIVED"
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:40am

I want one that says "Urban Bovine Kneivel" (from a DBT song)
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby crazychris on Fri 26/Jun/09 10:42am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I want one that says "Urban Bovine Kneivel" (from a DBT song)

not a t-shirt, but you could wear it with pride...
Urban Bovine Kneivel.jpg
crazychris
User avatar
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby snr_merv on Fri 26/Jun/09 4:25pm

I wonder if cyclists stick out like sore thumbs in multi sport events to running/swimming/kayaking people as much those type of people do in cycling :D
snr_merv
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Trail on Fri 26/Jun/09 4:32pm

yep, Gabby would be shaking her head reading those helpful hints!!
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Sickman on Sat 27/Jun/09 8:03am

Just looking at the Oz MBA mag it has an article on log hopping (basically showing a bunny hop over a log).

It tells me to
'...pull up hard on the pedals and throw your bike forwards - clipless pedals will help no-end with this step.'
has picture of bloke with level cranks and his feet are level as well, so I guess he is really lifting the bike up with his cleats.

What happen to pushing your feet back and up against the pedals like you need to do with flats. Or am I old school. Actually I pulled up with my worn out cleats the other day off a jump and ended up doing a one footed can can when my worn cleat released but lucky manage to land.
Sickman
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby danose on Sat 27/Jun/09 8:16am

snr_merv wrote:I wonder if cyclists stick out like sore thumbs in multi sport events to running/swimming/kayaking people as much those type of people do in cycling :D


so you've seen me in the pool eh :D
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Spokes on Sat 27/Jun/09 8:24am

Do they teach you how to pee on your bike?
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby danose on Sat 27/Jun/09 8:32am

Spokes wrote:Do they teach you how to pee on your bike?



peeing on the bike is easy - learning how to pee whilst running, now that's hard
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby Spokes on Sat 27/Jun/09 8:36am

danose wrote:
Spokes wrote:Do they teach you how to pee on your bike?



peeing on the bike is easy - learning how to pee whilst running, now that's hard


Apparently not that hard.....
demotivational_glory_running_a_marathon_with_explosive_diarrhoea.jpg
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Don't Believe Everything You Read

Postby slowMTB on Sat 27/Jun/09 10:12am

Spokes wrote:
danose wrote:
Spokes wrote:Do they teach you how to pee on your bike?



peeing on the bike is easy - learning how to pee whilst running, now that's hard


Apparently not that hard.....


Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew :crazy:
slowMTB
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport | The Adventures of Nic + Cabin | Triathlons | Vogs - Latest Posts

Who is online

41 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 39 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle