Dog Friendly Routes?

Postby Pitts on Thu 5/Sep/13 12:29am

Hey everyone,
I'm new in town and have been trying to find any spots where I can ride with our dog off the leash. From what I have found, there is a fair bit of conflicting information.
Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that dogs are pretty much not allowed off the lead except my home and designated dog areas. Are there ANY routes where I can let it off while riding?

I do realise that most riders and dogs don't mix well but the last few places I have lived have been no where near as strict on this.
Thanks in advance!
Pitts
Member for: 6 years 2 months

Re: Dog Friendly Routes?

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 5/Sep/13 1:51pm

Send an email to the city council and ask. But I doubt there are many legal places.

I've seen plenty of bikers with dogs though - Transient, Mt Vic, Red Rocks, Makara. All places where they're not allowed to be off leashes. The rule seems to be generally ignored, especially around Red Rocks. I reckon having your dog off its leash on our narrow, blind bush tracks is asking for accidents though, or at least some really spooked other track users
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 5/Sep/13 2:37pm

where?

jeez, my dog's off the leash most of the time... does that make me a criminy? here in chch, i take him up Worsleys and into the McVicars forest, he loves it. And i take him around Bottle Lake, flat tack off the leash, and last night we went out to McLeans Island and he had a lovely run, got very very mucky indeed, as did I... Basically, i'll take him, and let him off the lead anywhere there's no stock. Altho, he's a 'farm dog' type and is pretty damned uninterested in stock, and well behaved and in control off the leash (most of the time). its other dogs i'm more concerned about.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 5/Sep/13 7:44pm

Oi switchy, how wet's McLeans ?
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 6/Sep/13 9:40am

was pretty wet on Wednesday night, but i'd say it'll be fine now. puddles werent major. Worst bit was around that 'rock garden', there was one REALLY big sploosh before it, then quite a big puddle right next to it. otherwise, nothing heinous
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby charliehopkins on Thu 12/Sep/13 9:48pm

hey pittsy, I wouldn't get too worried about it ae. I have riding with a dog for aaaages and never had too much trouble, having said that he stays with me, doesn't worry stock, i kick his shit off the track and he's a girls blouse when it comes to other people. If I stop to talk and they get nervous I just push on. I wouldn't try somewhere really busy like Mt Vic or makara, or even polhill gets too busy at times but stuff like Belmont (except spring for lambing), Wainui, Upper Hutt, Red rocks/ Hawkins, or the Akas are fine as far I as I have found... hope that helps.
charliehopkins
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 13/Sep/13 8:48pm

I'm gonna piss off the dogfanciers here and say keep all your dogs out of the bush or on a leash. A lot of people have worked ficking hard to get native bird numbers up, we have kaka breeding in the town belt, saddlebacks in Karori, your little pooch no matter how harmless can fuck up a native bird out of curiosity. Also dog shit on the trails should be punishable by death.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 13/Sep/13 9:15pm

Agreed.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Fri 13/Sep/13 9:28pm

Pity they don't do this for cats (my neighbour swears by scruff of the neck into a cold shower though).
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... -training/
znomit
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 13/Sep/13 11:53pm

CrustyMTB wrote:I'm gonna piss off the dogfanciers here and say keep all your dogs out of the bush or on a leash. A lot of people have worked ficking hard to get native bird numbers up, we have kaka breeding in the town belt, saddlebacks in Karori, your little pooch no matter how harmless can fuck up a native bird out of curiosity. Also dog shit on the trails should be punishable by death.

Absolutely! Down here tho, our bush and pines just harbour possums, rabbits, hares, goats and (most likely) deer (and maybe pigs, tho likely not). Not to mention rats, stoats and mice. These are all pests that Rover is welcome to, provided the pests dont generate any vet bills.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 17/Sep/13 9:38pm

swtchbckr wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote:I'm gonna piss off the dogfanciers here and say keep all your dogs out of the bush or on a leash. A lot of people have worked ficking hard to get native bird numbers up, we have kaka breeding in the town belt, saddlebacks in Karori, your little pooch no matter how harmless can fuck up a native bird out of curiosity. Also dog shit on the trails should be punishable by death.

Absolutely! Down here tho, our bush and pines just harbour possums, rabbits, hares, goats and (most likely) deer (and maybe pigs, tho likely not). Not to mention rats, stoats and mice. These are all pests that Rover is welcome to, provided the pests dont generate any vet bills.

dogs are really bad for the environment... unfortnately more so than a large four wheel drive.. which I was surpirsed to learn
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts