Postby Tama on Wed 16/Jan/02 6:32pm

Yes... worship the Stigma...
For it is a dodgy shitbox
(note dodgy hair colour)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Wed 16/Jan/02 10:41pm

ahhh....one day I will return to the sunny shores, and then, verily (with a little "lo" too probably), the frotty mobile will return once again to play in the streets with SIFT R  ???
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby littleman on Thu 17/Jan/02 2:01pm

:butbut: i would me more concerned that tama has been spotted looking at (and dribbling over) a sun cyclo-cross bike
hmmmmm big wheels, drop bars
tama i am you father
come to the dark side
we'll be shaving you like a xmas turkey before you know it.
and this time not for sexual health reasions. :satan:
littleman

Postby Tama on Thu 17/Jan/02 4:04pm

If it can go off road - it's not a roadbike...

(I'll overlook Mudzy riding Peak to Creek on a Chromo road racing bike)

But yes - it is true - I've been dribbling over a Sun cyclocross bike - the perverseness of it certain appeals to me. Especially after following Chuckles down the Roller Coaster as he was doing 56+ kmh...

And seeing Mike Cornelius's attempt at the Day Night Thriller 12 hour mountain bike race on a cyclocross.
(Cut short by getting caught in a mountainbiker sandwhich and waking up in an ambulance)

Heh heh heh... Freak bikes are cool...  :alien:
Tama

Postby Hoz on Thu 17/Jan/02 5:51pm

do it! do it! Cross bikes rock!! Having had 2 since the balmy palmy days in the early 90's I can assure you they are a blast.......and having done round Taupo on the first one and subsequently ridden it down the steep rocky forest section in Kahutarawa, it was rather satisfying to hear an mtber at the adjacent road-end say to his mates "far out...that guy was on a 10-speed!"......he obviously failed to notice my white knuckles and stunned look. The ride back to town was much easier than on an mtb though and made it all worth it

That Sunn is not the one at J'Ville is it? Went for a test ride on one there about 6 months ago......great little frame(too small for me though) but it had some dodgy bits on it from memory
Hoz

Postby Tama on Thu 17/Jan/02 6:10pm

Yup - it is the J'Ville Sun - just right for a 5'11" lad like meself... Will take it for a ride sometime or other.

Frame is nice, but shabby - It's a total parts mutant - but that doesn't bother me to much - will have to take it for a spin to suss it out properly...  :p
Tama

Postby Jono on Thu 17/Jan/02 9:49pm

I'm still impressed about the ride we did with chuckles when he rode the ridgeline track on his 'cross bike. Mind you, he must have gotten a little freaked, as he declined the offer to ride starfish with us :)

I was assuming that I would be buying a cross bike when I got here, but more people actually seem to be riding singlespeeds. It's kinda funny to see them pushing these largish gears up the steep bits, and then completely spinning out on the road sections home...
Jono

Postby Hoz on Fri 18/Jan/02 11:10am

so does that mean you're gonna go for the single option yourself instead of cross? While the concept of no der's and shifters appeals to me(especially on a jungle bike).......my knees aint as young as they once were, so I've got over my single speed lustings(almost)

what about a single speed cross bike?

Think I'll just stick to my plans for a Surly Cross Check.....bit too aggressive for a lightweight frame like Chuckle's.....sweeeeet though it is. Besides, I've got a set of 700x45c smokes that will fit in a Surly......man that things gonna rip!
Hoz

Postby Jono on Sat 19/Jan/02 7:05am

I dunno - I think I may be heading for the fully freak "one bike does everything for me - with the seat up all the time too, young'n") approach  ;)  - out of the two, a 'cross bike feels like it would be the most useful, and a singlespeed seems like it would have the most cred. Unfortunately, there is only 1 cupboard in our flat that can take a bike, and I'm not really wanting more shit cluttering up the place (more to the point, victoria's not wanting more shit cluttering up the place  :sneaky:  )
Jono

Postby Hoz on Mon 21/Jan/02 10:56am

Ahhh, space......I can imagine the requirement for less clutter given the situation. However, I currently have a 3 bedroom country house (with a garden I might add) all to myself.....not a limiting factor to my bike stable. But with 7 steeds I must say that moving back into a flat like I am currently comptemplating has to be a good thing cos it will make me off-load the 3 extras I don't really need
have often had recent thoughts of what bike I would have(in dreamland where money is no object) if I could only have one.....reckon it'd be a Ti cross bike with discs, a hot set of spare road wheels, suspension post, mtb angles, long top tube, heaps of mud and tyre clearance. Always have the option for using flat bars and a suspension fork and 26" mtb wheels for really hard core offroad epics(easy to swap wheels with discs, no brake hassles), or turn it into a sweet tarbaby ride on skinnys. XTR 8 speed of course.

Trouble is, if I sold all my current bikes, I probably still couldn't afford the one new one!! At least I can dream!

I reckon cross bikes have heaps of cred....in the right circles :crazy:
Hoz

Postby Jono on Tue 22/Jan/02 1:44am

As you can see, it's a hard life being my bike - shoved into the cupboard with the vacuum and ironing board. On the other hand, with the central heating and clothes cupboard to the left of the shot, at least it's kept warm (and all that nasty water can be dried off properly :)  )

Jono

Postby Hoz on Tue 22/Jan/02 10:21am

Yep, not much room for a cross bike in there as well!

I've got the solution....offroad unicycle....easy to store, light, longtravel options, great to take on the tube, good way to get to know your dentist better

just have to learn how to ride the damn thing  :eh:
Hoz

Postby Jono on Tue 22/Jan/02 10:32am

More to the point, I think a cross bike would be too long - I'd probably need to take of the rear wheel as well :)
Jono

Postby Hoz on Tue 22/Jan/02 2:50pm

wheelbase lengths may not be that much different, but it's the drop bars that cause all the hassles(well, they will in THAT cupboard) cos they hook on every bloody thing possible(apply Murphy's Law here) and don't interface well with flat bars and trigger shifter setups :crazy:
Hoz

Postby Jono on Tue 22/Jan/02 9:30pm

Not to mention the hassle of having to put on all that bar tape every time I want to change the shifters or brake levers....I mean, when you start getting to that level, you might as well go out and buy some bum cream and shave your legs :)
Jono

Sifting - Latest Posts