Re: Dissapointed With Wcc And Gwrc

Postby Oli on Tue 26/Feb/13 4:37pm

David7 wrote:I guess danger is a perception in the minds of all of us, I'm scared of flying as well, so maybe its just me and my anxities getting the better of me!
I agree with this. :thumbsup:

I ride around the Bays a LOT and it's totally safe in general. It doesn't matter where you are, some drivers are unskilled and/or ignorant - I lost a dear friend killed by a drunk driver at 11am, and he was on a bike path in Belgium. Don't let your fears prevent you from doing anything or the bastards have won.
Oli
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Tue 26/Feb/13 4:40pm

:withstupid:

David7 wrote:I agree it will never happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't...its just not a priority for those that could change it.

I guess danger is a perception in the minds of all of us, I'm scared of flying as well, so maybe its just me and my anxities getting the better of me! I do quite often think it would be nice to get back on the road, and even consider riding the Wednesday worlds, then the next day there is an article on Stuff or Vorb about someone being hit and it sort of puts me off. :(

the chance of being hit by a car on bike, is less than if you are a pedastrian in wellington city. ok i can't back that up with statistics but i reckon it is true ;)

Riding on the road is a confidence thing, and to be honest if you ride as if you expect ALL drivers to not be paying attention, then you will fine.

get involved! always good to have more along to the worlds. it is a great mid week hit out.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby R+P+K on Tue 26/Feb/13 10:16pm

I commute in each day from Tawa to Manners St and the only sketchy bits are Johnsonville and Featherston St. Everywhere else, I have a reasonably decent shoulder to ride away from traffic or a cycleway.

The bikes on trains thing was a blessing in disguise for me, to be honest. It made me man up and ride my bike more. However, I can understand that it still doesn't go far enough for others.
R+P+K
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby jim_bob on Tue 26/Feb/13 10:23pm

Tawa Stream path will be a cool new facility along that route north, once it's finished. Lots of spending on that, although not that 'visible' for a lot of ppl. Dunno why they didn't spend money on the Hutt Rd first to get more +ve publicity (and with the bigger number of users).

I'm in CAW and WCC and GWRC seem to take us pretty seriously. They are looking seriously at proper ways to fix Hut Ngauranga-CBD in the next few years. They are hamstrung by NZTA's RoNS frenzy when it comes to funding, although bike funding's gone up heaps in the last year or two. Even NZTA seem to be getting better at asking for our input. Come along and add your voice...

I rode out from Wellington CBD to Paremata and back to Newlands last night. I reckon there are three 'scary' bits. There's actually some pretty good path on that route - although still gaps.
- CBD-Ngauranga: Hutt Rd path is crappy but not too unsafe if you ride it gently.
- Up the Gorge: safe path, although getting off in Jville spits you into a nasty junction.
- Middleton Rd - wouldn't fancy riding it northwards in the dark, but wasn't as bad as I feared southwards even in the dark, with decent lights. This gap in the pathways is the biggest issue along that route I reckon.
- Tawa - the new bits of the Tawa Stream path are pretty good, and it'll be ace when finished.
- Kenepuru on the road is not great but not terrible.
- shared path along the riverside and over the motorway overbridge is great and away from traffic, although maybe dodgy late at night.
- back roads linking past Adrenaline Forest and the police college are nice and quiet.
- the road round from the Paremata SH1 exit is NASTY. Jumped on the pavement to go up the hill.

Hang on, that's a pretty dull post. :baaa: :baaa: :music: :alien: =} =} =}
jim_bob
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby David7 on Wed 27/Feb/13 8:55am

Maybe I was a little hasty in my rant!

Sounds like things are progressing better than I thought, I did know the Tawa stream path was in progress, you can see a bit of it from the train but didn't realise it was even rideable...
David7

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 27/Feb/13 9:01am

Just want to point something out WRT your comments about the mayor not doing anything for cycling... I think it's great that we have a mayor like Ms Wade-Brown who is interested in thinking outside of the box, but you have to remember that she has no more power than any of the other councellors in making decisions and she gets overturned a lot. The other councellors generally don't have much interest in cycling and the like and she has a lot of trouble getting alliances and buyin for her ideas. If you want things to happen you need to rally the other councellors and get them to want to change things for cyclists also.

At least she walks the walk (or cycles the cycle in this case).
Barbsarama
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 27/Feb/13 12:22pm

David7 wrote:Maybe I was a little hasty in my rant!

Sounds like things are progressing better than I thought, I did know the Tawa stream path was in progress, you can see a bit of it from the train but didn't realise it was even rideable...

Yeah the Tawa path will get you from Kenepuru to Redwood. I gather the final part is from Redwood to Takapu Rd which will be the best bit, IMO.
R+P+K

Postby hickie on Thu 28/Feb/13 12:17pm

from Mana, I rode in to Wellington using all the available cycle lanes and paths one day, took me almost 15 mintues extra to ride in, think I'll stick to the roads as they aren't bad, it's only the ocasional motorist that's arn arse.

I've also Started wondering recently why cyclists in NZ are letting themsleves be push off the roads so much?
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts