Postby Hoz on Mon 11/Feb/02 12:44pm

thinking about a future disc conversion......need a new rear hub now anyway, so makes sense to buy a disc ready job. Whats a nice light but still reasonably durable disc hub, and how much? Who out there in dirtville is using what? :eh:  :crazy:  :rolleyes:
Hoz
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Mon 11/Feb/02 8:40pm

Get a hope hub. They last for ever, are quite light, and can be easily serviced (if you want to repack the freewheel, you can do so using only a vice and a screwdriver (meaning you shouldn't need to buy new freewheels or anything)...  :thumbsup:
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Hoz on Tue 12/Feb/02 8:30am

I like the sound of the servicability aspect.......have heard Hopes are hell waterproof too......could be a good option.

Cheers dude :rolleyes:  :upsidedown:
Hoz

Postby Tama on Tue 12/Feb/02 8:43am

From what I've seen Hopes go and go like rabbits on speed.

But they cost a hell of a lot in this end of the world.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Hoz on Tue 12/Feb/02 8:45am

yeah that is the worrying bit.......Hmmmmm

Just get someone to send one over(my Ma is still over there) :rolleyes:
Hoz

Postby Jono on Tue 12/Feb/02 9:36am

Yep - and unlike other hubs, when the bearings finally do give up the ghost, you can go down to skf in alicetown and buy new ones for $8 each (or you can pay $45 each for the same thing through a bike shop).

Experience helps :)

Jono

ps: tama - do you know if it's possible to service the freehub on a crossmax wheel? Mine has started locking up at the start of each ride, and I'm starting to think about options...
Jono

Postby Hoz on Tue 12/Feb/02 3:14pm

Jono, I'm sure I've read an article in the Brit mag MBR about servicing crossmax wheels......I've got it at home somewhere........will have a look and get back to ya :upsidedown:
Hoz

Postby Jono on Wed 13/Feb/02 1:18am

Cool. I called a local bike shop yesterday, but they started muttering about having to send them back to france, and that's why they don't try to stock them, and I thought "well I don't want to throw the thing away (not yet, anyway :) )
Jono

Postby Hoz on Wed 13/Feb/02 8:44am

Okay Jono I looked for the mag at home last night....alas it is at my bach up at our farm in the Mighty King Country........but am planning on going up there this weekend so I can get it then and give ya the lowdown next week.....sweet :rolleyes:  :D
Hoz

Postby Jono on Wed 13/Feb/02 10:26am

Excellent - thanks a lot for this...
Jono

Postby Hoz on Wed 13/Feb/02 10:37am

yeah no worries :)
Hoz

Postby Rob on Wed 13/Feb/02 3:18pm

My 5 cents worth...

"Whats a nice light but still reasonably durable disc hub, and how much"

I've recently purchased an American Classic Rear disc hub from the States. It's incredably light and appears to be nice and strong - not DH strong though.
It's a very simple design and it has grease nipples to inject grease into the workings. It also has sealed bearings which are available locally.
Have a look and check the price
The guy at Odds and Endos is real helpful.
Rob
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Postby Tama on Wed 13/Feb/02 4:40pm

Wow! Are American Classic still doing stuff? Good shit!

I remember that one of the first frotty things the Baddiley (Jono) bought was a pretty blue anodized American Classic - which looked dated a poncy pretty quick ('cos it was anodized blue and all) but definitely went the distance.

Grease injection ports rock - I was a bit disappointed that neither of my WTB disc hubs had 'em - seeing WTB got into putting grease ports on everything... :dontgetit:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Hoz on Wed 13/Feb/02 4:44pm

Cheers Rob.....that's the sort of feedback I'm looking for

American Classic have been around for a while too. Not actually after DH level durability....just trail strength AND lightness for my couch......I like climbing as much as the down so don't want something too over-built either

:crazy:  :rolleyes:
Hoz

Postby Hoz on Wed 13/Feb/02 4:46pm

Hey Tama, what are your WTB hubs like in terms of weight and cost? :rolleyes:  :upsidedown:
Hoz

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts