Re: Digging Today Polhill/hawkins Hill

Postby cstarnes on Sun 22/Apr/12 10:26pm

Pure pleasure reading this thread! It was worth all the work changing the tracks around just for the laugh. Thanks guys.

BTW - Carparts hasn't been dumbed down, as Gristle pointed out. I reckon Speeding Ant ended up riding what is now the lower section of Windmill (the uphill track). It must have happened in the narrow time window between when the new bit of Carparts track was connected up and before we closed down the old route (with signs giving the new directions installed). Speeding Ant, can you ride Carparts again and confirm? The new section is more technical than the bit we stole for Windmill. It was totally my idea to do this so I'm the one to blame if you dont like it........

Weirdly, and co-incidentally, we're upgrading Carparts in a minor way to make the ride down more interesting (so the Windmill track isnt used for downhill use - except by novices). I started this today by putting in a berm near the top and more will follow.....

You may also be interested to know that we have created a masterplan for tracks in Polhill that will cater for all users (yes downhillers included). Since we arent the landowners, it remains a concept only. We have approval to blaze 2 of the 10 tracks proposed (one of those tracks was mentioned by Kev above). They will then be GPSed and go out for consultation (done by WCC). They may even get built if we dont shoot ourselves in the foot.

Veloci - thanks for digging yesterday and the heads up on the Aro history film (one of the proposed tracks is planned to go through the old Polhill Gully Rifle Range so i'm doing some digging to get a bit of history on it - contributions welcome)
cstarnes
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Mon 23/Apr/12 9:49am

cstarnes wrote:Pure pleasure reading this thread! It was worth all the work changing the tracks around just for the laugh. Thanks guys.

BTW - Carparts hasn't been dumbed down, as Gristle pointed out. I reckon Speeding Ant ended up riding what is now the lower section of Windmill (the uphill track). It must have happened in the narrow time window between when the new bit of Carparts track was connected up and before we closed down the old route (with signs giving the new directions installed). Speeding Ant, can you ride Carparts again and confirm? The new section is more technical than the bit we stole for Windmill. It was totally my idea to do this so I'm the one to blame if you dont like it........

Weirdly, and co-incidentally, we're upgrading Carparts in a minor way to make the ride down more interesting (so the Windmill track isnt used for downhill use - except by novices). I started this today by putting in a berm near the top and more will follow.....

You may also be interested to know that we have created a masterplan for tracks in Polhill that will cater for all users (yes downhillers included). Since we arent the landowners, it remains a concept only. We have approval to blaze 2 of the 10 tracks proposed (one of those tracks was mentioned by Kev above). They will then be GPSed and go out for consultation (done by WCC). They may even get built if we dont shoot ourselves in the foot.

Veloci - thanks for digging yesterday and the heads up on the Aro history film (one of the proposed tracks is planned to go through the old Polhill Gully Rifle Range so i'm doing some digging to get a bit of history on it - contributions welcome)

Fantastic stuff Craig! If I don't manage to get my arse along to help sometime soon, I'll be sure to drop another couple of kilos of lollies off!
sifter
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby cstarnes on Mon 23/Apr/12 1:53pm

Milk bottles, jet planes and jelly beans work for me. Pineapple lumps for immediate hoovering....
cstarnes
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 23/Apr/12 5:52pm

speeding_ant wrote:Makara is over run with builders who hate making berms with exits

I'm back in welly at the end of this week. And This particular thing is something that is well high on my plans list for the winter.
SlackBoy
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 23/Apr/12 5:55pm

thelongwalk wrote:You also complain of not being able to dig places. Mikethehippy gave the blessing to the 6 turns in the half pike for the next track- the downhill only one. Frankly the 3rd turn is outside my build ability, steep hill, lots of height lost. He said to contact him when this build started so he can advertise to the downhillers who want to help out but you could be involved. There are options for alternate lines of 6 foot drops etc, as long as we can integrate them smoothly into the track overall. This build will start once windmill is finished. More the merrier I say.
I'm more than happy to drop my knowledge for anything like this. Speshly seeing as I'm been building fulltime on hillsides as steep and steeper
SlackBoy
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 23/Apr/12 9:49pm

SlackBoy wrote:
thelongwalk wrote:You also complain of not being able to dig places. Mikethehippy gave the blessing to the 6 turns in the half pike for the next track- the downhill only one. Frankly the 3rd turn is outside my build ability, steep hill, lots of height lost. He said to contact him when this build started so he can advertise to the downhillers who want to help out but you could be involved. There are options for alternate lines of 6 foot drops etc, as long as we can integrate them smoothly into the track overall. This build will start once windmill is finished. More the merrier I say.
I'm more than happy to drop my knowledge for anything like this. Speshly seeing as I'm been building fulltime on hillsides as steep and steeper

Cool, thanks for that, I'll give you a holla once I've finished blazing it. Be good to get you in before WCC to make sure it works. Probably be a couple of weeks.
thelongwalk
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby properzel on Tue 24/Apr/12 8:27pm

Rode the new 200m (if at all!?) of Car Parts properly for the first time tonight - was mint as. It's nearly better than the old bit which was just flat around that section.

100% sure Speeding Ant rode the northern bit of Windmill and got all pissed off..

Dig on tomorrow from 10am-ish on, by the way.
properzel
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby gristle on Tue 24/Apr/12 11:00pm

How long are you going to be there? Might not make it till 12.
gristle
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby properzel on Wed 25/Apr/12 8:44am

Usually we put in 3 to 5 hours. We will surely be still there around noon.
properzel
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 27/Apr/12 6:23pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Good stuff Mr. Walk :)

Was good to get in this avo for a little bash at some milkworms, and you always seem to be in there. :thumbsup:

On a related note (for some) The Film Archive is having a screening of Aro Valley history on friday in the hall...

Self-quote bump for the screening tonight, just a reminder if yr sitting at the computer in the Valley :)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Kazmeistyr on Fri 27/Apr/12 7:04pm

SlackBoy wrote:
speeding_ant wrote:Makara is over run with builders who hate making berms with exits

I'm back in welly at the end of this week. And This particular thing is something that is well high on my plans list for the winter.

NEEDS MOAR INSTABERM
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby thelongwalk on Fri 27/Apr/12 8:20pm

So digging tomorrow ,the forecast is for a few morning showers, so kick off from 1100. If its still raining be delayed a bit. Prob dig to 2-3pm, all welcome.
thelongwalk
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Mon 30/Apr/12 1:35pm

Hi Kevin and Craig,
Can you check yout PM, cheers.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts