Re: Digging Today Polhill/hawkins Hill

Postby speeding_ant on Sat 21/Apr/12 3:08pm

thelongwalk wrote:The council have agreed for us to start building mountainbike only downhill in tracks in polhill to take the down hill traffic off Transient. With enough wall rides/half pikes/drop offs so that no one can ride up them. These will not be expert but not dumbed down. But we will build Windmill first.

No one said Carparts is broken, it needs maintenance so does carparts x, and barking emu. This will include trimming back all the trees, widening it in places, armouring, adding wall rides if possible, bigger berms on the S bend etc. It needs maintenance. If you and your mates want to be involved, great come along, we are always open to ideas. In fact we want people to be involved because essentially 4-5 peole built Transeint and the same thing is happening now. But all you've done so far is bitch on Vorb, doesn't mean shit to me. Come bitch to me in person and be prepared to do some work. I'm always keen to learn from other builders.

Thank you for providing some decent information, without getting pissed off :thumbsup:
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Bascule on Sat 21/Apr/12 3:22pm

speeding_ant wrote:
thelongwalk wrote:The council have agreed for us to start building mountainbike only downhill in tracks in polhill to take the down hill traffic off Transient. With enough wall rides/half pikes/drop offs so that no one can ride up them. These will not be expert but not dumbed down. But we will build Windmill first.

No one said Carparts is broken, it needs maintenance so does carparts x, and barking emu. This will include trimming back all the trees, widening it in places, armouring, adding wall rides if possible, bigger berms on the S bend etc. It needs maintenance. If you and your mates want to be involved, great come along, we are always open to ideas. In fact we want people to be involved because essentially 4-5 peole built Transeint and the same thing is happening now. But all you've done so far is bitch on Vorb, doesn't mean shit to me. Come bitch to me in person and be prepared to do some work. I'm always keen to learn from other builders.

Thank you for providing some decent information, without getting pissed off :thumbsup:

"But all you've done so far is bitch on Vorb, doesn't mean shit to me. Come bitch to me in person and be prepared to do some work."

Nah, I'd say you pissed him off.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sat 21/Apr/12 3:38pm

Vorb attracts some absolute wankers..

On that note, I bid you all farewell :cool:
speeding_ant

Postby Bascule on Sat 21/Apr/12 3:43pm

speeding_ant wrote:Vorb attracts some absolute wankers..

On that note, I bid you all farewell :cool:

Pot, meet kettle.
Bascule

Postby speeding_ant on Sat 21/Apr/12 3:58pm

:)
speeding_ant

Postby Bascule on Sat 21/Apr/12 4:14pm

speeding_ant wrote::)

But I thought you'd bid us farewell?
Bascule

Postby gristle on Sat 21/Apr/12 4:35pm

Haha, all this over approx 200 meters of new track... new because there is a flat bit in Carparts that has been used as a section of Windmill becasue - it is flat (ish). The hill is really steep underneath this section, I'm pretty sure that is why this has happened.

The 200 meters is BRAND NEW and hardly ridden, so if you think there are improvments to be made, then make it known. I rode it yesterday as well and the new section is sticky as all hell. Not suprising. Nothing has been changed to the track after the pinch climb.

When I said get your hands dirty, I meant at a high level; planning ect. I don't do this as I think it is already in capable hands.

Is the trail really that much worse because of a new section that is less than 1/5 of the entire track length? Look at the flipside - that 1/5th has allowed a new uphill trail to be built and offers a great alternative to either going up the road or sweating it out on the fenceline.

To quote another vorb user last time someone pissed on their cornflakes, dont make a mountain out of a Polhill... cheesy I know.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Jimi on Sat 21/Apr/12 5:28pm

I know speeding_ant and if you ride in Wellington you will have undoubtedly have seen him out riding XC and Downhill (top bloke). He easily does his fair share of digging and his opinion is as valid as anyone I can imagine. In this case he speaks for me as well! Stop dumbing down the trails! In this case he has voiced his opinion and it doesn't mean he is having a bitch.
Jimi
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Bascule on Sat 21/Apr/12 5:56pm

Jimi wrote:I know speeding_ant and if you ride in Wellington you will have undoubtedly have seen him out riding XC and Downhill (top bloke). He easily does his fair share of digging and his opinion is as valid as anyone I can imagine. In this case he speaks for me as well! Stop dumbing down the trails! In this case he has voiced his opinion and it doesn't mean he is having a bitch.

"Ang on, I DO know what happens.. No one fucking listens"
"and there's no reason to flatten every single fucking track in Wellington!"
"If you're not going to listen us, then you're just as bad as the people who do nothing. Get off your high horse and listen to the people who ride the tracks too!!"
"Makara is over run with builders who hate making berms with exits and jumps with more than 30cm of air. We try to help and get shut down. We can't go down transient without getting shouted at. We can't even share our opinions without getting shouted at."

Sounds like bitching to me. I repeat - it might not be his opinions but the way he expresses them that people are reacting to. Resorting to name calling ("Vorb attracts some absolute wankers..") doesn't help his case either. I hope he's a top bloke, but he needs to think before he types.
Bascule

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 21/Apr/12 6:10pm

Bascule wrote:
speeding_ant wrote:

"But all you've done so far is bitch on Vorb, doesn't mean shit to me. Come bitch to me in person and be prepared to do some work."

Nah, I'd say you pissed him off.

Nope takes more than that to piss me off. I'll be advertising dig times over the next few weekends Speeding Ant. If you guys come along we could go for a walk over carparts and discuss our points of views. I'm interested in how you guys would enhance the features we want to because you ride so much faster than me. Maybe we can improve it overall while including the maintenance that has to be done and try to leave the features you like.

You also complain of not being able to dig places. Mikethehippy gave the blessing to the 6 turns in the half pike for the next track- the downhill only one. Frankly the 3rd turn is outside my build ability, steep hill, lots of height lost. He said to contact him when this build started so he can advertise to the downhillers who want to help out but you could be involved. There are options for alternate lines of 6 foot drops etc, as long as we can integrate them smoothly into the track overall. This build will start once windmill is finished. More the merrier I say.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 21/Apr/12 8:08pm

Good stuff Mr. Walk :)

Was good to get in this avo for a little bash at some milkworms, and you always seem to be in there. :thumbsup:

On a related note (for some) The Film Archive is having a screening of Aro Valley history on friday in the hall...
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby pulsar on Sat 21/Apr/12 8:33pm

Hey. keen as to come and help. It's my back yard and I love it. Big ups to you guys for creating such lovely tracks. Just wondering, the track on the left of carparts looking from the exit, is that the uphill version of it? sorry, bit of a noob. :)
pulsar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby piwakawaka on Sat 21/Apr/12 8:47pm

Ya tracks are stunning! I love em! Build what ya want.
piwakawaka
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby gristle on Sun 22/Apr/12 8:45am

pulsar wrote:Hey. keen as to come and help. It's my back yard and I love it. Big ups to you guys for creating such lovely tracks. Just wondering, the track on the left of carparts looking from the exit, is that the uphill version of it? sorry, bit of a noob. :)

Here is some info. Updates on the left.

http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/922
http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/24
gristle
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Simonk on Sun 22/Apr/12 10:11am

Rode down Emu, Car Parts, Roller Coaster last Sunday - fun! I wasn't exactly sure what was going on round the bottom of carparts, but assumed you needed some of the old track to make way for Windmill - fair enough.

Looking forward to coming out to help once my current flood of work has passed. What you guys have done, and are doing, is awesome!!!

P.S: 'You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time'. The success of Transient is a sure sign you're balancing all the competing demands, wants and desires of the riding/running/walking community as well as any one could have hoped.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts