Mt Dick, Carterton

Postby hoofy on Thu 24/Jul/08 10:03am

Hi, We ( wairarapa Multisport Club) have started talking to DOC about building trails on Mt Dick. As it is now being logged and will be left to go back into native bush. We may have a clean slate to work with. We may have a opportunity to improve tracks left from the logging and build furthers tracks but this will depend on how much support we get to build AND maintain these tracks. This is a good size area and with good support a good size trail network could be built catering for a wide variety of mountain biking.
Once things get underway abit more I shell set up a page on www.wmsc.org.nz to keep everyone informed and noitce of workingbee's .This maybe some time!
If you are keen on helping I would like to know.
The WMSC is still working to build trails in the Masterton Lansdown recreational area.
hoofy
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby big_daddy_jj on Thu 24/Jul/08 10:14am

:eh:
mt dick.jpg
big_daddy_jj
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby big_d on Thu 24/Jul/08 10:24am

big_daddy_jj wrote: :eh:
Close - but no cigar
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby big_daddy_jj on Thu 24/Jul/08 12:44pm

big_d wrote:
big_daddy_jj wrote: :eh:
Close - but no cigar
:( its been a slow week with no bike
big_daddy_jj
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Mt Dick

Postby pwork on Thu 24/Jul/08 5:40pm

and this
md1.jpg
mt dick1
md2.jpg
pwork
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby pwork on Thu 24/Jul/08 5:42pm

sorry i mean more like this & this see above
pwork
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby stuart_rv on Fri 25/Jul/08 12:54pm

This may just be thing I need to get off my lazy esra and outdoors again :huh: . Havn't been up there for ages, but I'd be keen for abit of track building. Finally have some good riding close to home.
stuart_rv
"So you say."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Ewan on Sun 27/Jul/08 11:47am

keen as mustard tp build tracks!
Ewan
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby HairyLegs on Mon 28/Jul/08 11:03am

Thanks Hoof,

Sign me up. :thumbsup:
I already ride there regularly-ish since we have nothing better locally. Hope someone has a plan to keep the trail bikers out!
HairyLegs
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby HairyLegs on Mon 28/Jul/08 11:15am

A pic from the Mt Dick summit.

For anyone wanting to find it on a map, try Kaipatangata. Mt. Dick is kind of a local nickname that has made it onto our road signs.
I was told the nickname 'arose' from some of the late night activities up there in the past ;)
aMtD.jpg
HairyLegs
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby konaStabSupreme on Tue 9/Sep/08 6:11pm

whens this all going to happen?
konaStabSupreme
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby hoofy on Thu 11/Sep/08 8:56am

These things take time.....
We wont be doing much on the DOC side until the logging is finished. The weather hasn't helped them and havent heard back from them yet. Conservation week this week , hope to follow up with them next week.
But we are now also talking with the Carterton District council about the other side of the road and river. This is going very will and may start something very soon . like a grade 2 - 3 track of about 2 km . One step at a time but we are moving even if it is just talking at this stage :sly:

On Mt Dick the track for the saddle heading towards Carterton is now blocked due to the logging, :( the down hill track is still fine at this stage.

Good luck to all the teams going up to the Day-Nighter this weekend , I know of 5 teams from Masterton this year, Should be fun , hope the Weather is on our side :)
GO Shit Happens Racing :D
hoofy

Postby stuart_rv on Thu 11/Sep/08 10:11am

Keep up the good work hoofy, look forward to some TB. Not to mention having some decent riding at the back doorstep :thumbsup:
stuart_rv
"So you say."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby lambo on Tue 28/Oct/08 10:48pm

When to go up Mt Dick in Weekend to do some exploring but road was closed :(

Had the family so we went exploring Waiohine Gorge instead. The old loop track has been bulldozed almost to the top due to logging. Only went to the top logging site as the last bit has not been bulldozed and looked slippery as normal and I never have found where the loop goes once at the top. The track seemed less exciting going up and down - suppose before it was more like a single track :D
lambo
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby hoofy on Fri 31/Oct/08 12:16pm

From that top skid site the track is abit stuffed for 200 to 300 m then turn right ( left is a dead end or wild down hill) this will bring you out onto a newly rebuilt road - right again -that comes out by the first car park.
We are still riding up Mt dick, it is safe as long as they are not logging. watch out for trucks , they may not want to stop.
hoofy

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wairarapa - Latest Posts