Describe Te Miro Trails To Me Please

Postby nagem on Fri 28/Mar/14 10:36am

So the first and last time I went out to Te Miro was about five years ago. In winter. It was pissing with rain and was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Now in my head I think it's like that all the time so just don't go there.

There's been a lot of work done there in the past couple of years and I want to go back. Can someone give me a heads up of what the trails are like? I ride in Rotorua mostly so if they could be graded or rated to a similar trail in the Redwoods that would be awesome!
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Describe Te Miro Trails To Me Please

Postby maddogbob on Fri 28/Mar/14 12:14pm

in a word AWESOME! starting with PD which is flowy and smooth head up hill to the top of the native which is just rooty goodness...... have to admit at the moment it is riding really well no rain for a long time, so its very dry some of the corners are blowing out a little cos of the dust, It is well sign posted now the club had a openday last weekend, so all trails are marked and there are a lot of maps scattered through out the forest so you cant get lost

One thing is take the climbing legs as you are either going up or down steep hills
maddogbob
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby nagem on Fri 28/Mar/14 3:48pm

How steep? Hill Rd steep or Moerangi Steep or Katore Steep? :paranoid:
nagem

Postby maddogbob on Sat 29/Mar/14 7:24am

Can't really compare the climbs to rotorua as the climbs are much shorter
maddogbob

Postby briiii on Sat 29/Mar/14 2:22pm

Just do it Megan, do it for me!
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"

Postby nagem on Sat 29/Mar/14 7:26pm

I was going to!! Calm down.
nagem

Postby Barbsarama on Sat 29/Mar/14 7:48pm

every time I see this thread title I think of the Simpsons Gummie De Milo episode :blush:
Barbsarama
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 30/Mar/14 8:18pm

Based on the pic I saw on FB today, I want to go and ride there, looks like it might be fun
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby Mel on Sun 30/Mar/14 9:29pm

Yeah, PBR... I had my first look today (if we don't count the few rides I did there on the DH track way, way back c.2001). I really liked it - the intermediate trails are really nicely formed, with the odd little rock or root to keep you interested. The advanced trails are beautiful root fests, interspersed with a few rocks, and the odd tricky chute or rut that makes sure you are always challenging yourself. At times there was so much leaf litter, I was unsure if I was riding on the trail - that's pretty cool.

I've heard it's not so nice in the wet, as the clay (and roots and rocks) get very slippery, but some riders might enjoy the challenge. Today was bone dry, with piles of powder, leaves, and pine needles in some corners. I'll definitely be back for more, as there's heaps more to explore.

I took a couple of screenshots on the map on my phone which was a good help. You can download the map here: http://temiromtbclub.co.nz/map/

For those that know, I rode PD, PD Extension, Up the hill (yikes, need one more gear), The Native, Miro, Snake, In & Out, Two Timer (backwards... oops), Bit on the Side, Big Red.
Mel

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 30/Mar/14 10:43pm

That sounds like awesome riding
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Mel on Mon 31/Mar/14 10:34am

You'd love it... most people would.

I've since been informed that I missed the best part of The Native... that is the descent after climbing up Gloworm. Next time, for sure. :)
Mel

Postby RussS on Mon 31/Mar/14 5:00pm

Suck it up nagem .......... go riiiiiiddddde
RussS
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts