Denton Oval - Info Needed

Postby Miffyandfrends on Fri 8/May/09 10:45pm

I remember seeing a sign up outside the Denton Oval here in christchurch about the times the track is open. Can someone please clarify those times for me?

Do they have rules on the type of bicycle used?

Thanks.
Miffyandfrends
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Denton Oval - Info Needed

Postby Fergie on Mon 11/May/09 11:38pm

In the winter the track is used by the Rugby club so hay bales in the bends and the track is not so good for riding if damp. Also the track will be padlocked unlike the summer where there is a combination lock. Road bikes are okay on. Just make sure you have a bit of speed to the r/h pedal doesn't hit the track. But the real buzz is using a fixxie and having a go at racing. Sprint turn left, sprint turn left, then puke. Wonderful sport!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Miffyandfrends on Tue 12/May/09 4:26pm

I'm not using a road bike or a fixed gear. I'm using an Formula one BMX I just recently assembled from various amounts of spare parts.

A formula one bmx is effectively a geared up, multispeed 20" wheeled bicycle with an agressive speed-fiend type posture. The wheelbase is very very very short so cornering is very responsive, also the Bottom Bracket sits up quite high allowing cornering clearance whilst pedalling. These were raced in the late 80's around road cones layed out on an asphalt flat.
Miffyandfrends
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 12/May/09 5:30pm

Wicked. There is a BMX track accross the railway lines if you wanted to do some stuff there as well.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Track Cycling - Latest Posts