Denniston Chain Grinder

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 3/Nov/10 9:45pm

The Denniston Plateau (Buller, West Coast) boasts scenery quite unlike anything you have seen before…and thanks to the many people who have sought their fortune there over the last 100 or so years, you can now race your trusty stead on some of the most unique mountain biking terrain in Aotearoa.

Racing will take place in teams of two for two hours – the winning duos will simply be the ones who manage to get around the most laps during this time. It’s about speed on the course, fast transitions, and resting up while your team mate is doing the hard yards.

Date: 29 January 2011
Times: Briefing at 9:30am, Start at 10am, Finish at 12pm.
Prize giving 1pm in the Denniston Museum.
Cost: $40 per rider ($80 per team)
Categories: (male, female and mixed in each) Youth (12 – 18yrs) Open (18 – 40yrs) Vets (40 – 60 yrs) Supervets (60+ yrs)

Facebook Event
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159167610787825

Entry Form
http://www.bullermtb.com/ChainGrinderEntryForm.pdf

Entries close: 23 January 2011
ChainGrinderPosterA3_FA.jpg
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Denniston Chain Grinder

Postby Sickman on Thu 4/Nov/10 8:15am

Hey Adam, I see there is no event tag to this post. You might want to put it in the event calendar.
Which track(s) is it on. If it includes the Ripple please set up a camera to film the carnage.
I might as well ask what others will soon ask. Can you do it as a solo?
I will past on any Mt Rochfort DH event. I have had too many scares on that Kamikaze access road.
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby AdamMTB on Thu 4/Nov/10 2:03pm

Race format is for teams only, no solo.

The track is something most people would never have ridden and not one of the regular rides. Will work on getting a map of the course so people can get some sneaky training laps in.

It doesn't include the Ripple Effect, I'm resistant to ride that section as I don't want to scratch my new bike or face, I'm sure I won't hold out for much longer though. Watching Adrian do a nice face grind while following him down didn't really encourage me to try it again.

Did you ever ride the Rockies Mine access road? That bit of gravel is steep and fast! Not as rough as Rochfort but gives you brakes a good work out.
AdamMTB

Postby Nick_K on Thu 4/Nov/10 7:39pm

Why no solo?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby disoriented on Thu 4/Nov/10 7:43pm

Nick_K wrote:Why no solo?

Harry Potter and nick k make up a team ;)
disoriented
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Sickman on Thu 4/Nov/10 8:26pm

Rockies? You talking about Stockton Plateau? Many years ago I rode by accident into the active Stockton mine site and decided I should turn around when a 90 ton load 777 passed within 50 m. I think I would have rode the Goat track down to Main gate that day. You should try the Millerton to number 4 station track or the Escarpment track if in the Stockton/Millerton area. They are something a bit different and can do both from the old Millerton loading, The MIllerton museum probably has maps of the tracks.

How many laps will a top team do in 2hours?
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby AdamMTB on Fri 21/Jan/11 8:25am

Reminder that this weekend is your last chance to get your entries in.

Course work is complete, going to be a great race!
AdamMTB

Cycling | Events | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts