Postby CrustyPVC on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:16am

Jono wrote:I remember mike white and seamonkey running down a steepish bit, and slamming into a tree halfway down every time. In the end, it wasn't that bad (it's the bit where it stops being kinda flat at the start, and drops towards the stream).

...and then there was that kinda-dropoff before the big chute at the end of jono's deviation...I spent an afternoon being sure that it was going to be unrideable,

That said, it has claimed a fair few bodies and bikes, which was all part of the plan - heh heh heh  :sneaky:

Jono,

So you are one of the sickos to be blamed of this freak of cycle tracks.

Well mister I have a word to say to you. "Silly"
CrustyPVC
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby Anna on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:18am

ah deliverance, great track...
have i menitioned i nailed deliverance with no dabs (appart from that short uphill bit near the end when i was in the wrong gear and couldn't be fucked) last weekend???

all it took was cycle touring for a couple of weeks... no worries  :alien:  :D
Anna

Postby JumpR on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:21am

Deliverance rocks :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:   7:24 carpark to carpark.  That is one cool track.  My hat goes off to jono and all others who make it!!!!! :D  :p  :D
JumpR
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby JumpR on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:23am

Sorry that was supposed to say ...all others who made it".

Tama, whats the storey with flood control????
JumpR

Postby mooser on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:24am

[wuss mode on]
That's just sick! I don't know how you people manage that track. The wookie's bucking bronco of a bike and my inability to do three things at once (ride the bike, shit myself, and curse nathan and wookie) contribute to my feeling that this track in really meant for sane people.

But good on you for having talent...

[wuss mode off]
mooser

Postby JumpR on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:28am

ride it after lots of fine weather, and you'll probably enjoy it more..  it can be quite slipperryyy weeeeeeeeeeee, in the wet :p
JumpR

Postby Nathan on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:40am

To be fair to the Punters it had been raining the night before we rode so this made it a bit of a tricky descent :blush:
Nathan

Postby Naff on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:41am

i have no idea what any of you (except crusty) are on about!! deliverance, its sounds like a bible story... not a cycle track, does it take experience to ride it? i may have to give it a go one day, i enjoy almost getting killed, it happened 3 times yesterday in triple overhead surf! :D
Naff
"3 times the fun!"

Postby JumpR on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:47am

Deliverance is a a bike ride in wellywood.  Stretches about 1.7Km(ish) down a valley filled with slimey rocks and slimey tree  roots.  It also has stream crossings, steep shutes and the occasional goat or two.  All good fun.   :satan:
JumpR

Postby Nathan on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:50am

Ok we have a new Punter ;) I will lend you my Old bike (the Wheeler) :0 She is a beast of a baby tank :alien: all 35 lbs of her and then we will set up video and camara spots to document your progress :huh: should be good :eh: better have St Johns standing by too though :D
Nathan

Postby Jono on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:50am

OK, so some background history is probably in order here.

Deliverance was first conceived by Mudzy in a summer many moons ago. Seth the friendly canadian was over on his second summer, and after a while I started hearing about him and mudzy, tama and sometimes ritchie heading into the bush with axes and machetes.

One summer evening we headed in, and hacked through a vague track to the clearing around halfway (just past the fallen-down shelter).

A couple of months later, mudzy organised "the big push", the day when the track was going to be completed.

The big push involved sifty tom and me pulling ourselves through trees and undergrowth, climbing all over hills trying to avoid blackberry and stinging nettle, and generally vaguely marking a track with orange warning tape.

Meanwhile, tama managed a horde of grommits at the top end of the track.

Around 3pm, we met some of them dragging their bikes through the undergrowth on what could generously be described as "steep" banks. We were kind of amused. I had just spent two hours climbing through the same, and had got my loppers (attached to the back of my daypack) stuck in most of them...

About 1.5 years later, we got the track to a rideable state. It involved a hell of a lot of effort, not least from don the forest fairy. We would kind of hack out a bit of track, and leave it, planning to finish the following weekend. Come tuesday, don had been in and cleaned up huge sections.

We also must give thanks to mudzies chainsaw.

Tom: "who wants a go with the chainsaw?"
Me: "I'll do it..."
Tom: "So you've used one before?"
Me: "It's got a handle and a pointy end - how hard can it be?"

We then spent 20 minutes flooding the engine before discovering the cutoff switch, and getting underway. I'm not sure if they would teach you to balance yourself up a tree while cutting off one of the branches just under your leg, but hey, nobody died....

Towards the latter part of the project, a hell of a lot of thanks should go tamas way. He would round up large groups of scuttlers, hand them grubbers, and push them off to help out the usual suspects.

Probably the hardest bit (from my perspective) was jono's deviation - the original track got to a fenceline, and dropped 5m (vertical) to a stream. We thought about a zig-zag, but there wasn't space to cut it out. Plus the 4+ metre drop onto big rocks. So one afternoon, tom and me climbed along a rather steep bank, leaving more orange tape attached to trees.  A large bunch of people followed up with the grubbers, chainsaw, and pickaxes.

Three months later, it was almost rideable.

The best 1 day I can remember was when the entire last section (from the grass clearing) was sorted out. We had a huge bunch of people, and I remember being kinda amazed when I came back from building the stone paving section (alongside the stream) to find that the steep climb (with the big board to it's right) was completed, and it was even rideable!

The best thing about deliverance, though, is riding it. Day, night, summer, winter, winter at night (most dodgy time I've ridden there), it always feels good. And to know that other people rate it brings a warm glow - eh tama?  :thumbsup:

So thanks - and keep trying to ride it, because when you manage, it'll feel pretty good (right anna?)
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby mooser on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:51am

It takes it's name from the movie "Deliverance". Famous for the saying "Squeal like a pig".

Now about that 3x overhead surf. Are you freaking mad? That's like school bus size! How do you even paddle into that mess?

kim
mooser

Postby Jono on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:52am

Of course, the main reason it was deliverance was that we were sure we could hear banjos as we got further into south karori :)
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby CrustyPVC on Thu 7/Feb/02 11:59am

I have been having a hell of a time explaining deliverance to a numbers of folks, Who would be interested in getting together to see the movie/have group hug to welcome virgins/bitch about Juan and Nathan session/
CrustyPVC

Postby Nathan on Thu 7/Feb/02 12:00pm

Your Moma and yer sister both play the Banjo? :eh:

Oh they are the same person :crazy:
Nathan

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts