A Decade Of Downhill Racing Over For Hagen

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Fri 6/Feb/09 9:28am

Queenstown’s queen of downhill mountain bike racing, Scarlett Hagen, will race her final downhill competition this weekend on her hometown track, Coronet Peak.

After nine years at the top of her sport, racing both the national and international downhill circuits, Scarlett has decided to change focus.

“ I won my first national series at 12 years old and have raced every year since. Now at 21 I just want to do other things” she commented “ odds are it will involve a bike”

Scarlett said today “It’s been an amazing roller coaster ride, a great lifestyle, but not without it’s risks. With 2 compound fractures, 12 broken bones, I can’t remember if it’s 5 or 6 concussions and 3 dislocations I have had my share of injuries. But I have also been to 16 countries, have friends all over the world and experienced so much. I’ve had amazing support and wicked opportunities for my age.”

First on the international stage at 16 years old, Scarlett placed 2nd in the World Junior Downhill in Switzerland. The following year she won the 2004 Junior Downhill Mountain Bike World Title in France, while still a student at Wakatipu High School. 2005 saw her take second placing in Italy after missing the title when she fell World at the finish line. Since then she has gone on to be a force not only in her sport but motivating and encouraging many young people to strive to reach their goals.

Scarlett, a 2nd year Physical Education Student at Otago University and a personal trainer at World Gym, said “ I am happy to leave racing with my world ranking at 9 th and being the current Oceania Downhill Champion.”

“ I want to finish my downhill career on my hometown track, Coronet Peak, racing with my first two sponsors, Henry Van Asch, (AJ Hackett Bungy )and Mark Angus (The Bike Fix, Queenstown.) We have been a team for 10 years.”

“ Special thanks to my amazing family Vivienne, Russell and Olly, who have never doubted me, supporting my dream to the top of the world and beyond”

“A huge thank you to Nathan Greenwood, my downhill coach, the world king of track building and of encouraging kids riding.”

“ And thank you so very much to GT Bikes, Red Bull, AJ Hackett Bungy, Fox Racing, Adidas Eyewear, BikeNZ, The Bike Fix Queenstown, Maxxis, Coronet Peak, Queenstown Chiropractic Clinic, One on One Physiotherapy, Pulse Fitness, Kevin Simms Ltd, Vanessa Quin, Ron Mackersy, Carol Goodlass, Angus Ross, The Academy of Sport Dunedin, Christian Pederson, Skyline Gondola, Video Ezy, Blue Shark, The Bruce Grant Trust, Community Trust of Southland, The Skeggs Foundation and the Queenstown and Southland communities.”
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: A Decade Of Downhill Racing Over For Hagen

Postby onyabike on Tue 10/Feb/09 11:50am

NZ will always be proud of you girl!

All the best for your next adventure.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Muz on Tue 10/Feb/09 12:58pm

Good luck for the future.
I like your style with finishing your career with your original sponsors :thumbsup: and thanking the people that have made an effort to support you :thumbsup:
Onwards & upwards...
Muz
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby DD-Rick on Tue 10/Feb/09 1:19pm

Melissa_Theuriau wrote:I can’t remember if it’s 5 or 6 concussions

:lol:
DD-Rick
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby VERT on Wed 11/Feb/09 10:12pm

nice one Scarlett :thumbsup:
VERT
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 11/Feb/09 10:43pm

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Coronet Peak | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Otago | Queenstown | Regions - Latest Posts