Day 31 Drop In Report - Paintball, Skywire And Jungle

Postby Tama on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:20pm

After eons of rain it finalled stopped as we left Nelson. This is an entirely unfair reflection on Nelson as it is the sunniest place in New Zealand, and from the sound of things the rest of New Zealand got nailed over Easter as well.

To undo some of the mental trauma of a week of rain it was decided a spot of paintball would be a good idea to unwind. The crew met up with Jono who I had roped in to show some of the more unknown trails in the Malborough Sounds and we headed off to Happy Valley Adventures.

There's lots to do at Happy Valley Adventures - http://www.happyvalleyadventures.co.nz - unfortunately we couldn't convince them to combine the paintball with the quadbikes, or horse riding for that matter so it was time for a good ole face off - crew versus riders.

If you're going to play paintball you can't worry about conserving ammo - fire often, fire wildly and fire at your opponent until they're in the fetal position pleading for mercy. Paintball is only fun if you're owning someone(ah ha ha Shaun,) or being owned (damn you three!) Needless to say the entire crew came out covered in welts and grinning broadly.

The next activity was the Skywire - the centrepiece of Happy Valley - a 1.6 kilometre flying fox, inspired by crazed lumberjacks who used to ride across valleys on logs suspended from wires. The ride itself is uber safe (they padlock you into a seat) and not scary, but definitely exhilirating as you fly over native forest at 80kph.

After a meal at the Happy Valley Cafe the sun was still out and it was time for some riding. The next trail came off was pure New Zealand jungle - coming off Opouri Saddle and dropping 500vm towards Duncan Bay. The trail is narrow and technical, with the occassional fast section of flowy beech singletrack. Extra excitement came in the form of treefalls and low hanging vines/ branches. Meaning riders had to pay attention their upper bodies as well as their wheels.

The crew had enough time to get in two runs before we had to move on out to Havelock to setup camp.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Stun on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:25pm

Paintball should be a mandatory part of every mobbing/roadtrip.
All in favour say 'aye'.
Stun
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:27pm

I'd imagine the Drop-In boys would have been less forgiving than the guys and gals I played Paintball with once :crazy: Never again I say.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:36pm

Stun wrote:Paintball should be a mandatory part of every mobbing/roadtrip.
All in favour say 'aye'.

I've often wanted to get into paintball again, but paintball AND bikes... Yikes - That'll be expensive :0
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Stun on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:38pm

A bunch of mates playing paintball is cool.
The random pro-gimps who turn up and shoot everyone with their lame camo, fully auto guns / lazer sights...
They're not so cool.
Stun

Postby AarowNZ on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:40pm

Yah paintball is fun, but pretty expensive - I found it was over $40 for 2 hours or so.

Still good fun for once in a while.

Oh yea sounds like your having fun Tama. :)
AarowNZ
"What?"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby charliz on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:40pm

:thumbsup: sounds like fun !!!
charliz
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:42pm

for some reason the welts on my legs are bruising up nicely, but there is nothing on my upper body, and the one on my neck has disappeared completely.

Not that I'm complaining, mind :sly:

And riding with the crew was excellent - it's a bunch of people with quite a few skills, and they're all really laid back and fun to hang around with...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Kyle on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:47pm

Aye, I'd be up for game.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby AarowNZ on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:49pm

hmmm I believe there is paintball in rotorua.

North Island vs. South Island at the labour weekend mobbing anyone.

(probably wouldnt be fair cause there will be more North islanders but what the hell :p )
AarowNZ
"What?"

Postby Stun on Mon 4/Apr/05 4:55pm

Sounds like a go'er!
The South Island will shoot you Mafia styles!
(Except for the people from Dunedin and Nelson - they can shoot you any way they choose, just as long as they shoot you!!!)
Stun

Postby Naff on Mon 4/Apr/05 5:01pm

Yup. Paintball.
Naff
"3 times the fun!"

Postby Dinsy on Mon 4/Apr/05 5:07pm

id fight for the South if it ment i got to shoot aarow
Dinsy
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Naff on Mon 4/Apr/05 5:08pm

Dinsy wrote:id fight for the South if it ment i got to shoot aarow

Fair point. I'll allow it.
Naff
"3 times the fun!"

Postby AarowNZ on Mon 4/Apr/05 5:09pm

I'd shoot you before you have the chance.

My fastest hit is around 1.5 seconds. :)
AarowNZ
"What?"

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts