Danish Cycling Superhighway

Postby Farm on Thu 19/Jul/12 5:57am

Pretty cool ideas to encourage cycle commuting in Copenhagen.
I like the comment about the difference in liberal vs conservative bike choice, bamboo vs carbon fibre maybe? :blink:

Maybe it's oldnews but an interesting story anyway;
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/world/europe/in-denmark-pedaling-to-work-on-a-superhighway.html?pagewanted=1
Farm
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Danish Cycling Superhighway

Postby Fango on Thu 19/Jul/12 9:00am

That's very cool - something for Chch re-build gurus to consider. I note too that nobody there is wearing a helmet.
Fango
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 19/Jul/12 9:50am

Great Danes :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 19/Jul/12 9:55am

Txt and ride as well!

This concept should be a compulsory consideration in any new roading design. Especially if local or central government funded.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 19/Jul/12 10:56am

That's great, my favourite part is "If you want to drive a car for a medium distance, you know you are a fool,”
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby blitzer maloney on Thu 19/Jul/12 11:34am

My crystal ball tells me this will be a popluar mode of transport here in NZ. In about 80 years...
blitzer maloney
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 19/Jul/12 12:12pm

Fango wrote:I note too that nobody there is wearing a helmet.

Yah, good to see some parts of the world aren't so constrained by silly superstitions. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby mark2c on Thu 19/Jul/12 7:45pm

Q2.JPG
Q&A In Parliament
Stupid buggers. They don't know anything about cycling. We should send Gerry-the-Hutt there to learn 'em: http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/PB/Busin ... essway.htm
mark2c
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 19/Jul/12 10:26pm

Fango wrote:That's very cool - something for Chch re-build gurus to consider. .

Jerry has made it quite clear that he does not consider stuff to do with cycling.

Fango wrote:I note too that nobody there is wearing a helmet.

You don't need a helmet when mixing only with your own kind.
In Amsterdam cars, bicycles and sidecars each have their own dedicated path or lane.

sidecar no helmets.jpg
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Crashed on Thu 19/Jul/12 10:37pm

Very cool superhighway, but we wont get one here until we get a shit load more people riding bikes ,but to start getting more people on bikes we must 1 Start a program to educate people that cycling is not dangerous. 2 Remove the helmet law(your choice to wear or not to wear) ,only kids must wear them until there 12 .3 Educate the masses that most short trips a quicker by bike .4 Learn to share the road EVERYONE .
There are a lot of roads around that are wide enough now to put an on road cycle lane on, just paint a line and a few bikes on the road.(its cheap )On road cycle lanes work because the tin tops THINK that we are not on there road getting in there way so they are happy and tend to stay out of them most of the time .Less confident /new riders FEEL SAFE in there bike lanes and ride more because there not mixing with the tin tops ,even sports cyclist use them if they are there .Feeling safe ,not being on my road etc, is all IN THERE MINDS such is the power of a painted white line .more white lines=more people on bikes=more money for cycling from NZ transport= cycle superhighways
Crashed
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Velodame on Tue 13/Nov/12 3:37pm

There are a lot of roads around that are wide enough now to put an on road cycle lane on, just paint a line and a few bikes on the road.(its cheap )

Like this http://cyclingwellington.co.nz/2012/11/redesign/
Velodame
"cyclingwellington.co.nz"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 13/Nov/12 4:38pm

Velodame wrote:
There are a lot of roads around that are wide enough now to put an on road cycle lane on, just paint a line and a few bikes on the road.(its cheap )

Like this http://cyclingwellington.co.nz/2012/11/redesign/

nice!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Denmark | Europe | Regions - Latest Posts