Re: 20 Cyclists Hit - Hamilton

Postby sanspareil on Thu 4/Jul/13 12:48pm

:(
sanspareil
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 4/Jul/13 5:18pm

I wonder if the oncoming vehicle was speeding so the driver that hit the riders thought they had more than enough time but realised in the middle of the passing move that the oncoming car was coming much faster than they thought.

They then pulled over to what they thought was close to the riders but unfortunately was into them.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Thu 4/Jul/13 7:09pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I wonder if the oncoming vehicle was speeding so the driver that hit the riders thought they had more than enough time but realised in the middle of the passing move that the oncoming car was coming much faster than they thought.

They then pulled over to what they thought was close to the riders but unfortunately was into them.

oh thats ok then !
Mickyfinn
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 5/Jul/13 1:12am

This seems like that recent one with the truck passing too close and killing the woman.
The root problem might be that some drivers don't adjust their "reasonable speed" expectation in the presence of bikes - if the road is OK for 100kph without bikes then they feel the right to do that past a bike.
The thinking seems to be that bikes should keep out of the way, and if they don't it is the riders fault. Anyway neither the driver's life nor their freedom or even criminal record is at stake.

Same goes for oncoming headlights. It is very common for people to deliberately drive blind at 100kph rather than slow down a little and improve everyone's safety a lot.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Fri 5/Jul/13 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 5/Jul/13 9:27am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I wonder if the oncoming vehicle was speeding so the driver that hit the riders thought they had more than enough time but realised in the middle of the passing move that the oncoming car was coming much faster than they thought.

If both vehicles were travelling at 100kph that's 200kph closing velocity. If oncoming vehicle was doing say 120kph that only increased closing to 220, or 10% greater. Changes in speed would have at most changed which innocents got taken out & would not have prevented the incident
UK_Exile
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby umog on Fri 5/Jul/13 11:15am

UK_Exile wrote:
umog wrote:[

Maybe I can rechange your opinion.

Something like this happened to me, city traffic. I was in my own lane of a four land road (left). The car to the right of me was faced with hitting a van that was doing a crazy u-turn into their lane. So...the dude drove into my lane, over the top of me. He decided that killing me was a lesser evil than panel damage.

That his how much these car creeps - car nutters, give fuck about us. Less than you could ever imagine.

I'm absolutely not defending the Hamilton driver as he chose to overtake after knowing there were many additional risks, however in your case did driver chose to move into your lane, or was the dumb U turn so close he reacted on instinct ?

He looked, saw me, I eyeballed him, then he ran me over...these drivers are baboons.
umog
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 5/Jul/13 11:41am

umog wrote:
UK_Exile wrote:

Something like this happened to me, city traffic. I was in my own lane of a four land road (left). The car to the right of me was faced with hitting a van that was doing a crazy u-turn into their lane. So...the dude drove into my lane, over the top of me. He decided that killing me was a lesser evil than panel damage.

That his how much these car creeps - car nutters, give fuck about us. Less than you could ever imagine.

I'm absolutely not defending the Hamilton driver as he chose to overtake after knowing there were many additional risks, however in your case did driver chose to move into your lane, or was the dumb U turn so close he reacted on instinct ?

He looked, saw me, I eyeballed him, then he ran me over...these drivers are baboons.

That bad. I hope you escaped with minimal injury. Did he get charged ? What penalty ?
UK_Exile

Postby umog on Fri 5/Jul/13 11:55am

UK_Exile wrote:
umog wrote:
UK_Exile wrote:

That bad. I hope you escaped with minimal injury. Did he get charged ? What penalty ?

It was appalling, to learn that a car driver becomes a different animal to a human being when behind the wheel of their precious hunk of metal.

I was very lucky and was able to ride away, once i got over the shock. He got a bollocking from me and a smashed windscreen, lucky for him that he didn't have to live with a death on his hands. This other bozo has the rest of his days to think about what it means to take a human life.

I feel sorry for him, in a way.
Sorry that he had to learn about due care and attention in such a harsh way.
Still, would like to see some meaningful action in these cases. Life ban from driving, surely?
umog
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 5/Jul/13 11:58am

Unlikely life bans would work. Look at all the repeated drunk license-less drivers :angry:
UK_Exile

Postby .I. on Fri 5/Jul/13 12:44pm

cruiser wrote: As Sifter says, rider always comes off worse whoever is at fault - this should guide how we ride, not rights or ideals. Especially since NZ is shaped by a culture that marginalizes cyclists.
as much as I hate it, in most part agree with this ....

but I feel its more the NZ motorist marginalizes everyone else ....actually I think it a kiwi's as whole, not just motorists but pedestrians, customers, people in the park the list goes on..we are to rapt up in our own little worlds to give shit about anyone else,

on the motorist side we have killed 130 people year to date... (you could say "only") 7 are cyclist, 16 are Pedestrians, 19 are motorcyclists (it doesn't say how many of them killed themselves?),

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/road-deaths/toll.html

pretty piss poor viewing on the whole really
.I.
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Fri 5/Jul/13 2:07pm

Hamilton City Cycling Club facebook page wrote:Hi All, Craig's funeral will be held on Monday at 1pm at the Hamilton Rose Gardens.

The family have advised that any one whom wishes to turn up on their bike will be allowed to, Craig would want this.

After the service you will be able to follow our wee man from the rose gardens to the Hamilton crematorium.

We are contacting the police to ensure no issues with this.
We will update you all once we have the final ok.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 5/Jul/13 4:20pm

.I. wrote:
cruiser wrote: As Sifter says, rider always comes off worse whoever is at fault - this should guide how we ride, not rights or ideals. Especially since NZ is shaped by a culture that marginalizes cyclists.
as much as I hate it, in most part agree with this ....

but I feel its more the NZ motorist marginalizes everyone else ....actually I think it a kiwi's as whole, not just motorists but pedestrians, customers, people in the park the list goes on..we are to rapt up in our own little worlds to give shit about anyone else,

on the motorist side we have killed 130 people year to date... (you could say "only") 7 are cyclist, 16 are Pedestrians, 19 are motorcyclists (it doesn't say how many of them killed themselves?),

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/road-deaths/toll.html

pretty piss poor viewing on the whole really

we are the drivers.

we are the cyclists.

we make the legislation.

we make the laws

we are the judges and the jury members

we are are the ones that wish to live in a liberal society.

So we have the freedom to to as we please with no recourse..

Police and the courts only do what you allow them to do...
Mickyfinn

Postby RussS on Fri 5/Jul/13 7:15pm

From the Road Code ....

Passing

Many serious crashes on New Zealand roads are caused by dangerous passing.

To safely pass another vehicle, you need to be extremely careful. You need to have a clear view of the road ahead, to make sure you can finish passing safely. You must also pay close attention to the vehicle you are passing, in case it changes its course.

Passing on the right

Passing on the right can be dangerous, especially if you have to:
•change your path of travel
•enter a lane or part of the road used by oncoming vehicles.

Before passing, always ask yourself 'is it really necessary to pass?' Don't pass just because you are feeling impatient with the car in front – that's often when crashes happen.

If you do decide to pass, follow the rules shown below.

•make sure you will be able to see at least 100 metres of clear road ahead of you once you have finished passing - if not, don't pass
•look well ahead to make sure there are no vehicles coming towards you
•look behind to make sure there are no vehicles passing you
•signal right for at least three seconds before moving out to pass.

Before pulling in front of a vehicle you have passed:•make sure you can see the vehicle in your rear view mirror
•signal left for at least three seconds

I knew Craig and am gutted at this. Not long ago I lost another friend who was one of a group hit by a young girl who was texting at the time. Sorry people, but it is long past time the laws of this land were upheld and if that puts a few teenagers behind bars for a few year then I am afraid that is what has to happen to help make our roads safe.
RussS
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby brian245 on Fri 5/Jul/13 8:17pm

Don't hold your breath thinking the courts will do anything about this
brian245
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 5/Jul/13 8:29pm

RussS wrote:From the Road Code ....

Passing

Many serious crashes on New Zealand roads are caused by dangerous passing.

To safely pass another vehicle, you need to be extremely careful. You need to have a clear view of the road ahead, to make sure you can finish passing safely. You must also pay close attention to the vehicle you are passing, in case it changes its course.

Passing on the right

Passing on the right can be dangerous, especially if you have to:
•change your path of travel
•enter a lane or part of the road used by oncoming vehicles.

Before passing, always ask yourself 'is it really necessary to pass?' Don't pass just because you are feeling impatient with the car in front – that's often when crashes happen.

If you do decide to pass, follow the rules shown below.

•make sure you will be able to see at least 100 metres of clear road ahead of you once you have finished passing - if not, don't pass
•look well ahead to make sure there are no vehicles coming towards you
•look behind to make sure there are no vehicles passing you
•signal right for at least three seconds before moving out to pass.

Before pulling in front of a vehicle you have passed:•make sure you can see the vehicle in your rear view mirror
•signal left for at least three seconds

I knew Craig and am gutted at this. Not long ago I lost another friend who was one of a group hit by a young girl who was texting at the time. Sorry people, but it is long past time the laws of this land were upheld and if that puts a few teenagers behind bars for a few year then I am afraid that is what has to happen to help make our roads safe.

why have you re written all this..?

The kind of people who drive like this don't give a toss about the road code and will not have read it
Mickyfinn

Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts