Re: 20 Cyclists Hit - Hamilton

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 7/Jul/13 12:46am

znomit wrote:...
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow truck AND someone who refuses to pass the truck.

Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow truck AND someone who refuses to pass the truck AND is too inconsiderate to leave a gap for overtakers to use.

It does feel like a losing game when by leaving a gap you end up with ten cars passing and sitting behind the truck in front of you.
They will eventually move on though. Except for one jerk who will hug the truck forever, but that''s OK if you had decided you didn't want to pass.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sun 7/Jul/13 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 7/Jul/13 8:38am

slow vehicles aside ( not always safe to pass them though ) what it it with the national obsession with overtaking? without which this thread would not exist :angry:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby brian245 on Sun 7/Jul/13 8:51am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:
Conners wrote:Huh? Leaving a gap if you don't intend to overtake seems logical to me?

at the face value, yes you are correct, it does seem logical. how big does the gap need to be if you're in a stream of traffic doing the speed limit? do we have to make allowances for the wanker who feels that speed limits do not apply to them?

I would say yes to that, we do have to make allowances. If we want the roads to be safer.
Our intelligent and humble attitude in leaving a gap might be enough to prevent the accident about to be caused by their driving/attitude.
But I can't imagine anyone ever being prosecuted for not leaving a gap in the event of someone else overtaking failing, as the onus is on them to overtake safely into a gap that already exists.

Mind you, if you are driving an SUV, after overtaking, you simply force your way into a non existant gap
brian245
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby EoinC on Sun 7/Jul/13 5:30pm

znomit wrote:Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow truck AND someone who refuses to pass the truck.

I can think of several things that are worse than that.
EoinC
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 7/Jul/13 6:12pm

EoinC wrote:
znomit wrote:Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow truck AND someone who refuses to pass the truck.

And there's the problem. Lots of these accidents seem to involve constriction of the driver's imagination, as if their whole world is reduced to quickly negotiating the road immediately in front of them.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 7/Jul/13 6:15pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
EoinC wrote:

And there's the problem. Lots of these accidents seem to involve constriction of the driver's imagination, as if their whole world is reduced to quickly negotiating the road immediately in front of them.

just to make up that 30 seconds
Mickyfinn
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 7/Jul/13 6:16pm

and did you know.... statistically driving to work is more likey to shorten your life than cycling to work
Mickyfinn
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby shermo on Mon 8/Jul/13 10:55am

From "Communications Adviser" at AA. I asked if Mike Noon had been misquoted in the stuff story.

Our General Manager of Motoring Affairs Mike Noon is away on leave at the moment, so I am replying to you on his behalf.

The brief quotes that were published in the story you refer to were from a 10 minute interview that Mike did with a reporter from the Waikato Times in relation to the tragic crash between a vehicle and several cyclists.

We often do not comment on specific crashes as those involved and their whanau are going through a horrendous ordeal, and a proper investigation into what has happened needs to be done. In this case Mike decided to take the interview as the AA is extremely concerned about crashes involving vehicles and cyclists, that are happening far too often. I can assure you that the AA has total sympathy for the cyclists involved in this crash, and we as an organisation want our roads to be safe for all users.

In the interview, Mike spoke about how the AA was very concerned to see another crash that left cyclists seriously injured and that, due to the vulnerability of bike riders on our roads, there is a responsibility for drivers to take extra care around them. He explained the responsibilities of drivers to wait behind cyclists until they are able to safely pass, and the road rules requiring that a driver not pass unless they will still have 100m of clear road ahead of them when they have finished the passing manoeuvre. He also talked about the responsibilities of cyclists to make themselves as visible as possible by using lights and reflective clothing if riding in the dark.

Mike also spoke about how there are no winners in a crash. He spoke about the horrific pain and suffering that the cyclists and their families are going through, and also the emotional trauma that the driver will be suffering. Speculating on who is to blame for the crash will help no one right now. Making our roads safer for all users needs everyone – motorists, cyclists and pedestrians – to treat each other with mutual care and respect, and we have to move beyond the pointless ‘them and us’ mentality that some road users still have. We were extremely disappointed to see that the story only included Mike’s comment about the driver, giving a totally incorrect impression that he had not mentioned the terrible harm that has been done to the cyclists in the crash. We have no control over what particular comments a journalist may pull out of a lengthy interview, but we complained to the paper over how Mike’s comments misrepresented the AA’s position. This is a tragic incident that will rightly stir strong emotions in people, and we can understand your reaction to the way the article came across.

I would like to reiterate that the AA is a strong advocate for making our roads safer for all users, and we regularly seek to raise awareness about improving road safety and ways that drivers, cyclists and pedestrians can help keep themselves and others safe.

Thank you for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and hope this shows that the article gave an extremely misleading impression of Mike and the AA’s views on this important issue.
shermo
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby nagem on Mon 8/Jul/13 10:59am

Good old Stuff eh. They need a kick upside the head.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby jo on Mon 8/Jul/13 11:10am

Nice one AA. And thanks to shermo for passing that on.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Mon 8/Jul/13 11:20am

shermo wrote:From "Communications Adviser" at AA. I asked if Mike Noon had been misquoted in the stuff story.

Nice one. I had intended to do similar but the blood was still boiling so left it :paranoid:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 8/Jul/13 12:28pm

I reckon that AA email is significant eniough that it will appear in the AA magazine. Doubt it will make Stuff though.
UK_Exile
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby R+P+K on Mon 8/Jul/13 1:20pm

Kelvin69 wrote:So far we have had the police blame the cyclists; the Automobile association blame the cyclists, and now the Trucker's organisation blame the cyclist. So they all think it is conceivably possible to fit a car which was 1.9 metres wide travelling at 100kph, plus a cyclist at 1 metre wide, in a gap which was 2.8 metres wide, as long as the cyclist does what exactly?

Closes their eyes and holds their breath.
R+P+K

Postby R+P+K on Mon 8/Jul/13 1:27pm

nagem wrote:Good old Stuff eh. They need a kick upside the head.

They need clicks to generate revenue lest they be cast off by Fairfax.
R+P+K

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 8/Jul/13 5:02pm

jo wrote:Nice one AA. And thanks to shermo for passing that on.

:baaa:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts