Cyclist Not Permitted To Ride At Base Shopping Centre

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 30/Aug/11 2:34pm

Some thing I stumbled across.

Would-be Green MP's YouTube bike dispute
A spat between a Green Party candidate who filmed himself arguing with security staff over cyclists' rights at The Base shopping centre has ended up on YouTube.

Max Coyle, who is standing for Hamilton West, said he felt "intimidated and not welcome" after security staff told him and a group of friends to stop riding their bicycles at The Base shopping centre.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10748307

Last edited by kiwi_zg on Tue 30/Aug/11 2:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Cyclist Not Permitted To Ride At Base Shopping Centre

Postby dented on Tue 30/Aug/11 2:37pm

:D
That will be on Campbell Live before the week is out
dented
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Tue 30/Aug/11 2:42pm

Last weeks news? cycling-allowed-the-base-hamilton-t113523.html?hilit=base

Response by Base on their facebook page seemed reasonable to me

Te Awa at The Base
Cycling is permitted at The Base on the roads. We have made provision for cyclists with area's to lock their bicycles whilst here. What is not permitted however is cycling on foot paths and endangering our customer’s safety. This is part of NZ's road rules which everyone must adhere to.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nagem on Tue 30/Aug/11 3:09pm

Yeap... apparently they were riding on the footpath and being a general menace. (I wasn't there so don't quote me) If that's the case then I think the video may be a little out of context.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby .I. on Tue 30/Aug/11 3:29pm

nagem wrote:Yeap... apparently they were riding on the footpath and being a general menace. (I wasn't there so don't quote me) If that's the case then I think the video may be a little out of context.
only a little ?
.I.
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby 928pedlr on Tue 30/Aug/11 3:33pm

I ride through there on a regular basis as the base is between my home and work and only prob I have ever had was dodging shoppers in their cars or wandering aimlessly onto the carpark and road without looking.
If the base didn't want bikes there they shouldn't have fitted the bike racks around the place.
I think that this may have been a oneoff "issue"
928pedlr
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Kyle on Tue 30/Aug/11 4:28pm

max wrote:...we weren't valued as customers...

Off course not you plonker, being a customer would require you to enter the store and purchase something. Not sift around on your douchycle.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Mel on Tue 30/Aug/11 5:39pm

There's nowhere for Max to park his high horse at The Base either. :huh:
Mel
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Nathan007 on Tue 30/Aug/11 5:45pm

This is kind of pointless and isn't helping the image of cycling. If you ride your bike on the footpath at any mall while videoing it you are going to piss people off. Why would you want to hang around there on your bike anyway. Is there no where else to ride?
Nathan007
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 30/Aug/11 5:46pm

928pedlr wrote:I ride through there on a regular basis as the base is between my home and work and only prob I have ever had was dodging shoppers in their cars or wandering aimlessly onto the carpark and road without looking.
If the base didn't want bikes there they shouldn't have fitted the bike racks around the place.
I think that this may have been a oneoff "issue"

They fitted bike racks :crazy: Possibly that is for cyclists to ride to the Base, park, spend their loot and ride home again. I could be wrong on that one though :rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 30/Aug/11 6:25pm

(Edited after Matt's explanation to remove insults)
This needs but shove a up his then frozen.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Wed 31/Aug/11 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Tue 30/Aug/11 7:15pm

Where does it say he was riding on a footpath? If cars are allowed to drive in and out of there and no footpaths are involved why shouldn't bicycles also be allowed?

If he was riding on the footpath then the security guard's reaction is understandable.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 30/Aug/11 7:35pm

the centre management have stated he and his friends were riding their bikes on the footpath and there is no denial of such by Max, so it would seem he was riding on the footpath.

he looks like a total tosser to me.

bad look for Greens who by and large wouldn't behave like that I would have thought

Comments Mr Hague??
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby DropKick on Tue 30/Aug/11 7:59pm

If hes a green MP we can assume he was riding a recumbent, and thus does not deserve an opinion.
DropKick
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby MaxCoyle on Tue 30/Aug/11 11:27pm

Hi Vorb Forums, have come to respond to all previous comments personally as I'm sure you would appreciate it
*Max prepares for barrage of more questions, insults, arguments and possibly even some positive comments*

We had cycled as a group from the CBD to The Base to buy some shoes. We parked our bikes in front of Rebel Sport and after we'd grabbed said shoes and some drinks for the thirsty crew we jumped on the bikes and cycled (using the road/carpark as that's all there is) over to the other side of the mall and stopped our bikes in front of ToysRUs to wait for a friend. We were not endangering any pedestrians and we could hardly wait on the road. I was not there with any agenda or to make any point, we had gone there to buy shoes from Rebel Sport. The Base Mall has the security footage to back my story up.

Before this clip started 2 security guards had descended on us and told us to leave for merely being on our bikes. We were not 'winding them up'. There would be video evidence from security cameras to prove that. I was not there with any agenda or to make any point. Once again the security footage backs me up. I have now had emails/calls/texts and been told face to face by about 30 people that have experienced the same treatment, I was just the one that filmed it, that's all.

The footpath there is about 10M wide and there was not a pedestrian in sight. I am going to ask Tainui Group Holdings to provide cycle lanes as clearly there is some issue here

We were being told to leave by The Base staff because we were cyclists. I felt it was unfair and needed to be documented. I felt intimidated and the other security guard on the right of me had been standing over me and raising his hand and was acting aggressively, I recommend filming any time you find yourself in a situation like this. It is not appropriate for anyone to be treated in this way.

I did not contact The Herald. The newspapers contacted me first, not the other way round.

I am hoping that through this Tainui Group Holdings and myself and other cyclists can work together to help make The Base more cycle friendly so cars, pedestrians and bikes win on the day.

Oh and I ride a BMX. I have friends that ride Road Bikes, Downhill, round town fixies, urban mountain biking and BMX Vert.
Personally I log distance BMX and commute on it, averaging about 40 k's a day. Best day was about 90km and have ridden from TGA to Matamata over the Kaimai's on my old trick BMX before I got my racing BMX, its a custom Haro Group 1 SR3.0. (Not a recumbent in the slightest)
MaxCoyle
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts