Re: Cyclist Not Permitted To Ride At Base Shopping Centre

Postby wuffy on Wed 31/Aug/11 12:59am

wachtourak wrote:Nobody cares how far you can ride your BMX

Naturally he finished his 90k ride...
wuffy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Nathan007 on Wed 31/Aug/11 8:00am

I used to love riding my BMX to the mall with friends........when I was 10.
Nathan007
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Mel on Wed 31/Aug/11 10:35am

MaxCoyle wrote:...

I am going to ask Tainui Group Holdings to provide cycle lanes as clearly there is some issue here

I am hoping that through this Tainui Group Holdings and myself and other cyclists can work together to help make The Base more cycle friendly so cars, pedestrians and bikes win on the day.

These are the important bits. :thumbsup:

I have no idea why the developers are allowed to create these shopping centres without providing space for bikes. There are no cycle lanes within The Base and the layout of the road does not easily allow for them to be retrospectively built - they have put in large rain gardens instead. Perhaps signage to indicate to vehicles to share the road with bikes would help, along with better signage to indicate you have entered a low speed environment.

Unfortunately, without the backstory your video seems to indicate you were riding on the footpath (we only see footage of you on the footpath outside Te Awa) and it looks like there were a few of you in the group (an easy target for security). I have seen the security guards at The Base and was rather impressed that they had managed to "catch" you. Now that you say you were stopped at the time, it all makes sense. :lol:

Initially, I thought you were trying to stir things up and make a big deal out of nothing. Thanks for posting to tell us your side of things and give a bit more context to the video. :)

I retract my statement about your high horse.
Mel
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 31/Aug/11 10:42am

wachtourak wrote:Nobody cares how far you can ride your BMX

compact crankset on the roadbike?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby xcwander on Wed 31/Aug/11 12:00pm

I do note though in Max's Greens Candidate Profile, on the Greens web site he lists

Cycling Protests in Hamilton under Community Connections.......
xcwander
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 31/Aug/11 12:38pm

[quote="MaxCoyle"]Hi Vorb Forums, have come to respond to all previous comments personally as I'm sure you would appreciate it
*Max prepares for barrage of more questions, insults, arguments and possibly even some positive comments*
quote]

imagine vorb users having the temerity to question or argue with someone so important
insult - never :butbut:

this is teh interweb

if you can't stand the heat don't enter the kitchen
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Wed 31/Aug/11 12:44pm

Mel wrote:I have no idea why the developers are allowed to create these shopping centres without providing space for bikes.

Can't buy much stuff cause you can't cart it home.
Take the car and fill the boot.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Mel on Wed 31/Aug/11 12:47pm

Yes, yes... I know why they do build them like that. I just don't understand why they are being allowed to. The District Plan needs a bit of a tweak to change things, that's all.
Mel
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby thorg on Wed 31/Aug/11 1:08pm

Mel wrote:Yes, yes... I know why they do build them like that. I just don't understand why they are being allowed to. The District Plan needs a bit of a tweak to change things, that's all.
I'm all for increasing the ease of cycling around a city - but I draw the line at BMXs - grown ups ride big bikes.

may contain traces of nuts.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Wed 31/Aug/11 1:26pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
MaxCoyle wrote:Hi Vorb Forums, have come to respond to all previous comments personally as I'm sure you would appreciate it
*Max prepares for barrage of more questions, insults, arguments and possibly even some positive comments*

imagine vorb users having the temerity to question or argue with someone so important

this is teh interweb

Calm down, GUB. He did enter the kitchen, and with a perfectly reasonable version of events, whatever your personal views on said version.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 31/Aug/11 2:08pm

The video still does not look like something an aspiring MP would want to associate himself or his party with.
The guards are clear in their instructions, what was wrong with getting off your bikes as instructed? Then you can go and have a nice chat with the head of security who can explain their policy and perhaps some of the reasons behind it.

After that you would be in a better position to be taken seriously if you want to discuss policy with management. It would be helpful if you remember they are already way ahead of you - they will have considered bicycling infrastructure and policy, drawing on experiences that mall operators and designers have acquired over many years in many countries.

Given the wide footpath I can't see why they shouldn't mark a wee cycle lane on the outside of it, but then I know stuff all except that the idea is so obvious it must have been considered many times already.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 31/Aug/11 6:52pm

Oli wrote:
MaxCoyle wrote:Hi Vorb Forums, have come to respond to all previous comments personally as I'm sure you would appreciate it

this is teh interweb

Calm down, GUB. He did enter the kitchen, and with a perfectly reasonable version of events, whatever your personal views on said version.

I was referring to the "prepares for a barrage . . .blah blah".

both in the video and here he comes across as fairly self important.

unfortunately breaking rules about riding on footpaths and then whining about the attitude of those who tell you not to just comes across as teenager type petulance "I have my rights . . . ." :sleeping:
(and i have yet to hear any denial that they were doing such)

I don't think he does the cause of enabling, encouraging, facilitating cycling any good.

probably better to have dismounted the bike
and gone and discussed the issue with the management like grown ups :thumbsup:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby nagem on Wed 31/Aug/11 7:47pm

Oli wrote:

this is teh interweb

I was referring to the "prepares for a barrage . . .blah blah".

both in the video and here he comes across as fairly self important.

unfortunately breaking rules about riding on footpaths and then whining about the attitude of those who tell you not to just comes across as teenager type petulance "I have my rights . . . ." :sleeping:
(and i have yet to hear any denial that they were doing such)

I don't think he does the cause of enabling, encouraging, facilitating cycling any good.

probably better to have dismounted the bike
and gone and discussed the issue with the management like grown ups :thumbsup:

*stares*

I think at this point is has been ascertained that riding on the footpath wasn't happening.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Wed 31/Aug/11 8:13pm

He was saying that even though he was expecting to get flamed he wanted to put across his POV, hence he was "entering the kitchen" even though he knew it would be hot. You can argue with his version of events all you want, but to tell him "if you can't stand the heat don't enter the kitchen" misses the point. :eh:

Anyway, he was right to "prepare for a barrage" as that's exactly what he's got, isn't it? That's not being self important or petulant in my book, just realistic - this is Vorb, after all. :D
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts