Cyclist Dies On Notorious Stretch Of Road

Postby R+P+K on Sun 17/Mar/13 9:33pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8437036 ... ch-of-road

Shortly before 10am yesterday, the 50-year-old Auckland woman, part of a group of cyclists, was struck by a passing truck on what is one of the most popular rural cycling roads in the country.

:(
R+P+K
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Cyclist Dies On Notorious Stretch Of Road

Postby Tugboat on Sun 17/Mar/13 9:52pm

:(
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby kaiteri on Sun 17/Mar/13 10:32pm

These headlines make my blood boil! I've been pilloried on here before for jumping to conclusions re. bike v truck but I'm willing to wager my road bike that this tragic fatality could have been avoided if the truck driver had shown DUE CARE AND CONSIDERATION to the cyclists sharing this road.
Every year my wife & I spend a month cycle touring in Europe, often on narrow mountainous roads, and NOT ONCE have we been overtaken by a truck (or coach) in a dangerous manner. They'll wait and wait and wait until it's safe to pass. In fact, often we get to feel so guilty about holding them up that we pull off into the verge to let them go.

So what is it with NZ truck drivers?? Should spending a month riding a bike on narrow roads be part of getting their HT licence?

Ok, call this a generic rant against dumb-arse, aggressive, thoughtless, incompetent (pick one or all) truck drivers who are dangerous behind the wheel of their behemoths and I'm using this accident to vent my anger and frustration at the needless loss of life by yet another cyclist out enjoying themselves on the road.
So if anyone wants to respond with "Let's wait for all the facts, etc...", I don't care if it turns out that in this case there are incredibly extenuating circumstances that mitigate the responsibility of this particular truck driver because the sort of near misses that don't end up as headlines are happening on a daily basis throughout the country.
I mourn with this woman's family, friends and cycling companions. I know how easily it could happen to me.
kaiteri
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby sanspareil on Mon 18/Mar/13 7:51am

kaiteri wrote:These headlines make my blood boil! I've been pilloried on here before for jumping to conclusions re. bike v truck but I'm willing to wager my road bike that this tragic fatality could have been avoided if the truck driver had shown DUE CARE AND CONSIDERATION to the cyclists sharing this road.
Every year my wife & I spend a month cycle touring in Europe, often on narrow mountainous roads, and NOT ONCE have we been overtaken by a truck (or coach) in a dangerous manner. They'll wait and wait and wait until it's safe to pass. In fact, often we get to feel so guilty about holding them up that we pull off into the verge to let them go.

So what is it with NZ truck drivers?? Should spending a month riding a bike on narrow roads be part of getting their HT licence?

Ok, call this a generic rant against dumb-arse, aggressive, thoughtless, incompetent (pick one or all) truck drivers who are dangerous behind the wheel of their behemoths and I'm using this accident to vent my anger and frustration at the needless loss of life by yet another cyclist out enjoying themselves on the road.
So if anyone wants to respond with "Let's wait for all the facts, etc...", I don't care if it turns out that in this case there are incredibly extenuating circumstances that mitigate the responsibility of this particular truck driver because the sort of near misses that don't end up as headlines are happening on a daily basis throughout the country.
I mourn with this woman's family, friends and cycling companions. I know how easily it could happen to me.

I'm with you on this, I will never understand the psyche of drivers in NZ in relation to other road users be they cyclists or anyone else using the roads. The insult is compounded by the total lack of 'justice' delivered by the courts in these cases.
sanspareil
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Reghere on Mon 18/Mar/13 12:06pm

First of all - condolences to the victims family & friends.

I do my riding in Taupo, and personally I have found the truck drivers especially the milk tankers more considerate than the car drivers. They do speed adjustment at some distance behind & pass quickly & give us room. The same cant be said for smaller trucks/work vans which drive Poihipi and pass way to close.

With regards to the road - As a rule, Taupo cyclists avoid Poihipi & only use it when needed to travel to smaller roads. to the Northwest of town. Weekends are much safer than the afterwork time-slot - Drivers have less patience when rushing to work or dropping off kids at school.

The council needs to take responsibility and allocate funds to widen Poihipi road. It has been identified as a priority for 12+ years. It hasn't helped that there are major construction projects which has increased the traffic, especially at "peak" times.

On occasion, I drive that road and am amazed at the level of stupidity by a few cars passing other cars on narrow stretches, blind corners etc.
Reghere

Postby piwakawaka on Mon 18/Mar/13 12:18pm

Reghere wrote:First of all - condolences to the victims family & friends.

I do my riding in Taupo, and personally I have found the truck drivers especially the milk tankers more considerate than the car drivers. They do speed adjustment at some distance behind & pass quickly & give us room. The same cant be said for smaller trucks/work vans which drive Poihipi and pass way to close.

With regards to the road - As a rule, Taupo cyclists avoid Poihipi & only use it when needed to travel to smaller roads. to the Northwest of town. Weekends are much safer than the afterwork time-slot - Drivers have less patience when rushing to work or dropping off kids at school.

The council needs to take responsibility and allocate funds to widen Poihipi road. It has been identified as a priority for 12+ years. It hasn't helped that there are major construction projects which has increased the traffic, especially at "peak" times.

On occasion, I drive that road and am amazed at the level of stupidity by a few cars passing other cars on narrow stretches, blind corners etc.

Maybe this is constructive but sounds a lot like excuses, motorists kill cyclists when they run us over, this is all that needs to change, the responsibility must lie with the driver.
piwakawaka
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Mon 18/Mar/13 12:27pm

piwakawaka wrote:motorists kill cyclists when they run us over, this is all that needs to change, the responsibility must lie with the driver.
Precisely. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby nagem on Mon 18/Mar/13 12:37pm

:withstupid:
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 18/Mar/13 12:42pm

kaiteri wrote:These headlines make my blood boil! I've been pilloried on here before for jumping to conclusions re. bike v truck but I'm willing to wager my road bike that this tragic fatality could have been avoided if the truck driver had shown DUE CARE AND CONSIDERATION to the cyclists sharing this road.

you are correct.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Crashed on Mon 18/Mar/13 4:24pm

If the truck drove pass the cyclists with a gap of 1.5m all the cyclists would have had a great day out, not mourning a friend.The road cant be that narrow that he couldn't give her room,and if it is that narrow or there was oncomming Traffic why the fuck was he overtaking the cyclist?
Crashed

Postby Derryn Hinch on Mon 18/Mar/13 4:43pm

Crashed wrote:If the truck drove pass the cyclists with a gap of 1.5m all the cyclists would have had a great day out, not mourning a friend.The road cant be that narrow that he couldn't give her room, and if it is that narrow or there was oncomming Traffic why the fuck was he overtaking the cyclist?

:withstupid:

I will never understand the drivers who overtake cyclists in places where they would never overtake a car.

We just know that the driver will come up with some lame excuse and the judge will accept the excuse at face value.
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 18/Mar/13 5:00pm

Hitting the bike's front wheel as reported does indicate a significant wobble by the bike, but that is not a capital offense.

Drivers know that riders commonly wobble outwards for various reasons, many of them unpredictable by the driver. One reason they should be aware of is that riders tend to drift out when looking over their shoulder, especially on a responsive racing bike.

The 1.5m recommendation allows a huge wobble to be survivable, for the good reason that a normal cyclist's life does include a few huge wobbles.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 18/Mar/13 5:32pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Hitting the bike's front wheel as reported does indicate a significant wobble by the bike.

or that the truck driver swerved in very sharply
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Crashed on Mon 18/Mar/13 5:44pm

I just had a look at google maps there is enough room for a car to pass cyclist with out crossing the centre line a truck would only have to put his right wheels over the line to give a cyclist 1.5m.I have ridden that road in the past and I don't think its that narrow .I hope the judge who hears this case has some balls and uses the full force of the law......
Crashed

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 18/Mar/13 7:06pm

Agree with the above.

We (as cyclists and as a nation) have high profile cycling deaths in the past and still dangerous drivers kill cyclists :angry:

Its just so terribly :(
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts