Re: Cyclist Dies On Notorious Stretch Of Road

Postby craigofnz on Mon 18/Mar/13 9:48pm

It is long, long overdue to make safe passing more legally enforceable by specifying minimum passing distances.

In many unfortunate cyclists versus motorised cars and trucks, it is evident that the law is not being used to prosecute. I think unsafe passing, not just that of cyclists is overdue to full attention, similar to the long standing campaign to reduce the prevalence of drunk driving.

2.6 General requirements about passing other vehicles
(1)A driver must not pass or attempt to pass another vehicle moving in the same direction unless—
(a)the movement can be made with safety; and
(b)the movement is made with due consideration for other users of the road; and
(c)sufficient clear road is visible to the driver for the passing movement to be completed without impeding or being likely to impede any possible opposing traffic; and
(d)until the passing movement is completed, the driver has a clear view of the road and any traffic on the road for at least 100 m in the direction in which the driver is travelling.
(2)Subclause (1)(c) and (d) does not apply if the passing vehicle and the vehicle being passed are in different lanes and are, throughout the passing movement, either on a one-way road or on the same side of the centre line.
(3)A driver must not, when passing another vehicle moving in the same direction, move into the line of passage of that vehicle until the manoeuvre can be made safely and without impeding the movement of that other vehicle.
craigofnz
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Derryn Hinch on Tue 19/Mar/13 9:12am

At the end of the day isn't the relevant rule 'do not overtake unless safe?'

I think most drivers do not see passing a cyclist as overtaking and so do not apply this rule (principle?).
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby R+P+K on Tue 19/Mar/13 10:49am

Derryn Hinch wrote:At the end of the day isn't the relevant rule 'do not overtake unless safe?'

I think most drivers do not see passing a cyclist as overtaking and so do not apply this rule (principle?).

Agreed.

Plus, we're a nation with a high proportion of f**king terrible drivers.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 19/Mar/13 2:07pm

R+P+K wrote:
Derryn Hinch wrote:At the end of the day isn't the relevant rule 'do not overtake unless safe?'

Agreed.

Terrible drivers :ib: It depends what nation we compare our drivers with. Try the 2/3rds world for another comparison.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 19/Mar/13 2:35pm

A mandatory minimum passing distance may reveal existing or proposed roads do not have room for a bike to be passed by a wide vehicle.
That could get ridiculously expensive or ridiculously congested. This would in some cases force the authorities to scratch up whatever sort of "alternative bike route" they can, then ban bikes from the tricky bit of road.

If the law worked both ways a minimum distance would outlaw our current practice of passing cars which have slowed for red lights etc since we routinely pass far closer than a law would specify. This would be a huge disadvantage in heavy traffic.

Safe passing distance depends on speed, wind, all sorts of stuff so it is not easy to put a number on.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Tue 19/Mar/13 2:56pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
R+P+K wrote:

Agreed.

Terrible drivers :ib: It depends what nation we compare our drivers with. Try the 2/3rds world for another comparison.

I guess the difference is expectation. You expect it 2/3rd world countries.

Like I've said many many times now, I felt safer as a cyclist and pedestrian in Italy (land of terrible drivers!) than I do in NZ.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Kelvin69 on Tue 19/Mar/13 5:53pm

Whenever a vehicle hits a cyclist during an overtaking manouvre, they always look to see "what the cyclist was doing wrong"; The cyclist must have been doing something wrong, to cause the accident. YET, the rode code is quite adament about the responsibility lies with the motorist doing the passing. Surely then, if a person is killed, ie, the cyclist, then the legal emphasis should be - WTF was the passing motorist thinking?!!!!

As to the recent death, how the hell can a motorist hit the front wheel of a bicycle? HOW much wobble room was really given?
Kelvin69
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby piwakawaka on Tue 19/Mar/13 7:05pm

Kelvin69 wrote:Whenever a vehicle hits a cyclist during an overtaking manouvre, they always look to see "what the cyclist was doing wrong"; The cyclist must have been doing something wrong, to cause the accident. YET, the rode code is quite adament about the responsibility lies with the motorist doing the passing. Surely then, if a person is killed, ie, the cyclist, then the legal emphasis should be - WTF was the passing motorist thinking?!!!!

As to the recent death, how the hell can a motorist hit the front wheel of a bicycle? HOW much wobble room was really given?

Zackly!

What's the diameter of a wheel? What is half of that? Too Fuckin Close!!

That's the whole problem.
piwakawaka
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 19/Mar/13 8:16pm

Mrs Farrelly and husband Ian Farrelly were among a group of experienced cyclists riding up a hill on 100km/h Poihipi Rd, north of Taupo, when a truck and trailer unit carrying farm implements came from behind.

Mrs Farrelly's sister Tina McCullough said yesterday about seven of the group were in single-file bunches riding up the hill.

"My brother-in-law was at the back of the second bunch. He saw my sister get up out of her seat, which is what you do when you go up a hill, and she must have sensed something because he said she looked back and as she looked back she wobbled very slightly. The driver hit her front wheel," Ms McCullough said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/249854/man-sees-wife-go-under-truck
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 19/Mar/13 8:35pm

There is no driver training and most of the drivers especially farmers and lorry drivers have a third world attitude... though it does concern me that alot of cyclist here cycle in big groups with no real knowledge of how a big group looks to a driver... because we don't see them as we/ you are always in them.

it does in fact take a great deal of skill, experience but most of all patience to deal with a group of cyclists.

i recall an incident in the UK one winter where a woman lost control of her vehicle on black ice and killed numerous cyclist in one go !! so its not just here it happens...

I think the solution is to alter the law to one of strict liability and the burden of proof on the driver to prove the death would have occurred any way. the fact is the with out the vehicle
Mickyfinn
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Rider on Tue 19/Mar/13 8:47pm

There is a lot of comments here with what appears to be very little fact.

My thoughts are with the Farrelly family and the truck driver.
Yes the truck driver!

The police are investigating and they will release there findings in due course.

Hopefully those that are very quick to blame will take the time to read the police report and then they can comment!
Rider
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 19/Mar/13 9:55pm

fact: cyclist was killed by over-taking truck.

conclusion: the overtaking was unsafe. ie the driver of the truck did not use sufficient caution for the conditions to ensure safe overtaking

nice troll though ;)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Crashed on Tue 19/Mar/13 10:02pm

Here's another fact: the rode code is quite adament about the responsibility lies with the motorist doing the passing.
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby kaiteri on Tue 19/Mar/13 10:12pm

Rider wrote:There is a lot of comments here with what appears to be very little fact.

My thoughts are with the Farrelly family and the truck driver.
Yes the truck driver!

The police are investigating and they will release there findings in due course.

Hopefully those that are very quick to blame will take the time to read the police report and then they can comment!

I'll look forward to your comments about the truck driver once the report is out, then.
kaiteri
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Magia01 on Tue 19/Mar/13 10:20pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:fact: cyclist was killed by over-taking truck.

conclusion: the overtaking was unsafe. ie the driver of the truck did not use sufficient caution for the conditions to ensure safe overtaking

nice troll though ;)

:withstupid:
Magia01
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Cycling - Latest Posts