Cyclist Death - Chch

Postby catmannz on Thu 8/Oct/15 11:28am

I've just seen this come through from the police. :(

Bloody terrible.

Canterbury Police are at the scene of a crash involving a cyclist on Evans Pass Road that was reported to have occurred at around 9.45am this morning (8 October 2015).
Acting Senior Sergeant Jim Currie says “The cyclist, a man believed to be in his 50’s, has been confirmed as deceased at the scene.”
The death has been referred to the Coroner. No further details of the deceased will be released until formal identification and the process to inform next of kin has been completed.
“Police investigations are ongoing but witnesses report seeing the man travelling downhill prior to the crash. Police have a number of witnesses to talk to and it is too early to say whether any other vehicle was involved in the incident.”
Evans Pass Road will remain closed between Ocean View Terrace and Summit Road while Canterbury Police Serious Crash Unit complete a scene examination.
catmannz
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Cyclist Death - Chch

Postby lubie on Thu 8/Oct/15 11:30am

Stink buzz.
lubie
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 8/Oct/15 12:16pm

Bugger.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby jo on Thu 8/Oct/15 12:20pm

:(
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Thu 8/Oct/15 2:13pm

Damn :(
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Thu 8/Oct/15 3:23pm

Ah sorry to hear that :( thoughts go to his family and friends.
Barbsarama
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Slapheid on Thu 8/Oct/15 3:36pm

Not fair. Thoughts go out to the family and friends :(
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 8/Oct/15 4:08pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7 ... rash-death

no more info to that police statement yet... get some pretty serious speed down there. be easy enough to lose it into the wall or off the edge or into a parked car or something at the bottom... damn.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby slowMTB on Thu 8/Oct/15 5:05pm

swtchbckr wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/72814784/evans-pass-rd-in-christchurch-reopens-after-cyclists-crash-death

no more info to that police statement yet... get some pretty serious speed down there. be easy enough to lose it into the wall or off the edge or into a parked car or something at the bottom... damn.

Yep, and that left turn is always reaching out trying to get ya, it is very deceiving :o

Hope is not anyone I know , thoughts to the family :(
slowMTB
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Ahad on Thu 8/Oct/15 7:40pm

Terrible :( Southerly running today too which means lots of extra potential speed. That lefthander halfway down has a terrible surface with bumps rutts etc all over it due to EQ damage so hopefully didn't contribute to loss of control, tyre blow-out etc. Thoughts go out to family and friends
Ahad
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 8/Oct/15 8:17pm

I'd imagine a lot of people have come to grief on that corner over the years. The right hander goes around further than expected, leaving a very tight left hand bend with a rocky hillside to hit if you overshoot.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby catmannz on Thu 8/Oct/15 8:48pm

That corner always gave me the shits. Scarily deceptive in terms of how much speed you have to drop to negotiate it safely. It caught me out badly the first few times I rode it.
catmannz
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 9/Oct/15 6:45am

Little nugget hidden in there:

Stuff wrote:This was the first cycling death in the South Island this year.

It's actually also only the 2nd cyclist road death this year. Hopefully the message is getting through. In the last 12 months (same as from 1 Jan) the 2 deaths compare to 10 in the preceding 12 months.

This compares to a full road toll that is 20% higher on the preceding 12 months at 327.
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 7 months

UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 13/Oct/15 6:59pm

:( :(
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts