Cyclist Dead In Mount Maunganui

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Fri 29/May/09 10:18am

A cyclist was killed this morning in Mount Maunganui after a collision between a truck and the cyclist at the intersection of Girven and Maunganui Road (double laned roundabout). Here is the initial police release about the accident.

New Zealand Police Alert 9:05am 29 May 2009 Bay of Plenty wrote:Location of incident: Girven/Maunganui Rds Mt Maunganui

Incident type: Fatal collision

Fatal collision on the intersection of Girven and Maunganui Rds between a truck and a cyclist.

When police attended the cyclist was found to have died. The serious crash unit is in attendance. The intersection has been closed to enable investigators to examine the scene. Diversions have been put in place on Ocean Beach Road and the Tauranga Harbour Bridge.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Cyclist Dead In Mount Maunganui

Postby Tama on Fri 29/May/09 10:21am

Looks like a fairly fast double laned roundabout - cycling through those gives me the willies.

My thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends :(
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Fri 29/May/09 10:23am

That's terrible. Wasn't so long ago that the same thing happened to Police Superintendant Steve Fitzgerald in Petone... :(
sifter
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Fri 29/May/09 11:39am

Tama wrote:Looks like a fairly fast double laned roundabout - cycling through those gives me the willies.

I drive or ride through this roundabout every day - it's not fast moving at all during peak times, in fact the big pinch point between Papamoa and Mt Maunganui/Tauranga (other than the Harbour Bridge which is suffering major roadworks at the moment of course). But it is hectic, and with two lanes can be very difficult to determine who's doing what. I may have to re-evaluate my cycle route and use the underpass to avoid this...
Tama wrote:My thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends :(

Ditto :(
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby jo on Fri 29/May/09 12:05pm

:( I hope everyone is safe.

Tama wrote:My thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends :(

Me too :(
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby pulsar on Fri 29/May/09 12:22pm

My brother had to id him this morning, not nice. My thoughts go out to the family too, that roundabout is dangerbay, even in my car i feel a bit put off by it.
pulsar
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby WH on Fri 29/May/09 1:18pm

Sad news :(

I often cycle that way as a change from the harbour bridge, I do a relatively easy left turn from Matapihi towards The Mount in the evenings, but turning right towards Matapihi in the mornings can be interesting... first have to cross into the right-hand lane, then hope that the northbound highway traffic sees me, sitting upright and indicating properly, in a fluoro yellow shirt with orange hi-viz vest on top... often they still dont see me and just pull out. Like Connors said, very low speed at peak times, but very busy and most people seem to have no clue how to indicate at roundabouts.

Think I might start taking the underpass in the mornings...
WH
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby dented on Fri 29/May/09 2:47pm

Thats terrible, right at the end of my street. I saw the hold-up so took a detour, I never ride through that roundabout, some of you might remember me telling Roma about the walkable underpass to cross Maunganui Road about 6 months ago, instead of using that roundabout. Typical 2-lane roundabout where most motorists believe you can stay on or exit the roundabout from either the inside or outside lane, hopeless.
dented
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby CaseyKing on Fri 29/May/09 3:34pm

Any news on who it might be? Saw the pic in the paper and the bike looked like some serious roadie rig orange and black Orbea.

Tragic, that roundabout gives me the heebie jeebies as a motorist. I would never even consider it as a cyclist.

(Mrs King logged in as her dirt-loving hubbie)
CaseyKing
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 29/May/09 4:58pm

:( What a sad end to a life.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby The Pretender on Fri 29/May/09 9:26pm

WH wrote:Sad news :(

very low speed at peak times, but very busy and most people seem to have no clue how to indicate at roundabouts.

Think I might start taking the underpass in the mornings...

To right - I drive this roundabout daily. Its a simple thing to do, but a huge amount of people are either to lazy or to slow thinking to cope with it, or my favorite utterly retarded and indicate the wrong way.
The Pretender
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Clarky on Sat 30/May/09 6:27pm

A cyclist who died yesterday after a collision with a logging truck in the Bay of Plenty was from the Netherlands, police said today.

He was Gerrit Bram Bergveld, 28, who died at the scene of the incident at a Mt Maunganui intersection.

Police said Mr Bergveld and his 28-year-old partner, who was also Dutch, had been living in the Welcome Bay area.

It was believed the pair had come to New Zealand with a view to immigrating.

The collision happened at 9am on State Highway 2A, also known Maunganui Rd, at the intersection with Girven Rd.
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 30/May/09 8:00pm

damn :(

what is it with trucks and cyclists. in the BOP in particular :hmmm:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Ahad on Sat 30/May/09 8:58pm

F@#king trucks!! :angry: Trouble is that if one makes a mistake, drives too close, you're dead- not like you can bounce off the bonnet as with a car. Theres lots of good considerate truck drivers out there, but it only takes a few useless,incompetent, unsafe and arrogant fools to ruin it for the rest of them, and every other road user.

RIP :(
Ahad
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:37am

I saw this morning that a ghost bike has been erected on the roundabout.
Quite a stark reminder, hopefully more so for non-cycling motorists.
Last edited by Conners on Tue 2/Jun/09 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Bay of Plenty | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mount Maunganui | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts