Re: Cyclist Dead In Mount Maunganui

Postby Conners on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:38am

Nothing to see here...
Last edited by Conners on Tue 2/Jun/09 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:39am

Conners wrote: non-sysling motorists.
:eh:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:46am

Conners wrote:I saw this morning that a ghost bike has been erected on the roundabout.
Quite a stark reminder, hopefully more so for non-cycling motorists.

I was going to approach the council about putting up a ghost bike, but someone's obviously beaten me to it.

Ride in peace
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Wed 3/Jun/09 8:57am

And now the ghost bike has disappeared overnight.... :(

Hoping it was removed by council rather than disrespectful munters. (obviously I wouldn't agree with council removing it - but would be lesser of two evils if you know what I mean)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby dented on Wed 3/Jun/09 6:40pm

Didnt think that would last. But, like you, I hope a few motorists saw it and it made them contemplate, even if for only a few seconds.

Was thinking a bit more today about the coincedence (or otherwise) of the recent incidents involving logging trucks. If you include this incident resulting in the death of a cyclist, the one just outside Te Puke about 6 months ago where the german cyclist got killed, and the one a year ago where the Mt Maunganui College pupil was killed crossing the road outside school, all were logging trucks.
I cant help but wonder if its because most of the logging trucks have probably a 2 hour drive to (or from) their destination when they are driving through Mt Maunganui. I can imagine some truckies might be a bit pissed at the sudden choking up of the road, the other drivers (in cars) jumping into gaps in front of them, cutting their lunch in a hurry getting across roundabouts, etc, turning that short 5km section of their journey into a 20 minute clusterfuck. One can then surmise that its possible that some of those truckies might have a less than reasonable attitude, and its also possible that some of their courteousness to other road users might disappear. Im not suggesting they deliberately run over cyclists, but maybe its not just a coincidence? Who knows.....
dented
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby normy64 on Wed 3/Jun/09 9:00pm

Utterly tragic. I live in Papamoa and often cycle to work in Tauranga, and after experiencing that roundabout as a driver I daren't cycle it. I always use the underpass by Bayfair car park and carry on down Matapihi. Too often drivers use the left hand lane to turn right into Maunganui Road, there needs to be better signage about which lane to use. My thoughts go out to the family.
normy64
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby tripler on Thu 4/Jun/09 7:35pm

my thoughts go out to his partner and family :( good on whoever put up the ghostbike and hope it gets put back or another one put up,get some photos,the two I did up here in whanga's are still there and maintained,hopefully bop council is sympathetic and won't remove it,our two up here are locked to fences so would be left to the property owner rather than council to remove hence probly why they are still there :)
tripler
"I AM pushing but it won't go in,pass the grease"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby footprints on Fri 5/Jun/09 5:08pm

I know a number of cyclists over the years who have been killed by truckies. In comparison to other motorists, these macho egotistical morons care not for motorist or cyclist, or for that matter human life in stamping there weapons of mass destruction on society. I have lost count of the near misses I have had over the years as truckies, in their arrogance, have pushed me many times to take evasive action and in 2 cases buckling my front wheels in taking refuge into and over the curb to avoid certain death. A truck hitting a cyclist is not an accident it is manslaughter. The powers that be refuse to take a test case through the courts so that these morons will become more vigilant for the defenseless cyclists numbering in their thousands on our roads daily. Only recently a touring cyclist was killed by a truck near Turangi going in the same direction. Jack Foster a prominent athlete and friend was killed a few years ago in Rotorua again by a truck. I'm sure there are many more stories similar. And no one blinks?
footprints
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Fri 5/Jun/09 5:22pm

footprints wrote:I know a number of cyclists over the years who have been killed by truckies.

I know a number of cyclists over the years who have been killed by those driving cars.

Give over :rolleyes:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby footprints on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:55pm

Scatter brain wrote;I know a number of cyclists over the years who have been killed by those driving cars.

Give over

Obviously has taken one tiny metaphor out of the article I wrote and responded with a "who cares attitude" to the recent deaths of cyclists by truckies in the area. One notices its name of scatter is appropriate. "scatter brain...hahahahahahahaha
footprints

Postby musket on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:00pm

Easy Tiger.

I've found truckies to generally be some of the best drivers on the road. The cyclist who was killed near there recently had been cautioned twice in New Zealand and previously in Aussie for erratice rider and fined for riding without a helmet. While I'm not saying it was his fault, let's not jump to conclusions.

Every death is a tragedy, but going and attacking truckies en masse is dumb. Scatter's point is valid.

footprints wrote:I know a number of cyclists over the years who have been killed by truckies. In comparison to other motorists, these macho egotistical morons care not for motorist or cyclist, or for that matter human life in stamping there weapons of mass destruction on society. I have lost count of the near misses I have had over the years as truckies, in their arrogance, have pushed me many times to take evasive action and in 2 cases buckling my front wheels in taking refuge into and over the curb to avoid certain death. A truck hitting a cyclist is not an accident it is manslaughter. The powers that be refuse to take a test case through the courts so that these morons will become more vigilant for the defenseless cyclists numbering in their thousands on our roads daily. Only recently a touring cyclist was killed by a truck near Turangi going in the same direction. Jack Foster a prominent athlete and friend was killed a few years ago in Rotorua again by a truck. I'm sure there are many more stories similar. And no one blinks?
musket
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:01pm

I've seen a cyclist kill another cyclist
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:04pm

Conners wrote:Nothing to see here...

wat
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:05pm

footprints wrote:blah blah

One notices its name is appropriate "foot-in-mouth" aahahahahaha
phunk
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby footprints on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:21pm

PHUNK wrote; One notices its name is appropriate "foot-in-mouth" aahahahahaha

hmmmm phunk = presently hung up numskull kook. aaahahahahahaha :-)
footprints

Bay of Plenty | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mount Maunganui | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts