Cycling The Great South Road (auckland)

Postby VisitingRider on Sat 10/Dec/16 2:30am

Hi all.

Is there a good cycling route back from Papatoetoe/Manakau to the Western Suburbs (e.g. New Windsor) that doesn't mean cycling along the Great South Road?

If not, how would people describing riding on that road?
VisitingRider
Member for: 11 months 3 weeks

Re: Cycling The Great South Road (auckland)

Postby laworder on Sat 10/Dec/16 3:29am

Using Google Maps there is an alternative route that is mostly quieter residential roads or bike path - and its slightly faster than using Great South Road
Ferndown Ave > Claude Ave > Portage Road > Skipton st > Henwood Road > Robertson road > Hall Ave > Donnell Ave > cross Walmsley Road to Mahunga Drive > Rimu Road> Crawford Ave > Waterfront Road > Coronation Road, cross the old Mangere Bridge onto Onehunga Harbour Road > Orpheus Drive > bike path alongside Southwestern motorway up to roundabout, through that to Hendry Ave > bike path off the end of that to Melrose Road > bike path off that all the way under Dominion Road and May Road to Maioro Street > New Windsor

I've never ridden Great South Road personally, but having driven it, am not at all tempted to try cycling it

Google Maps has a road directions function, you can add cycle routes to that (unless its one of the default options now)

Google directions.PNG
laworder
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby VisitingRider on Sat 10/Dec/16 11:33am

Thanks very much, this is very helpful. I didn't spot the old Mangare bridge, and so didn't find that route. The default route that Google Maps found me took me over the motorway bridge!

I may take two trips that way. One of them is that I would like to try to cycle to every Auckland area volcano in one day. (I do know how many of them there are.) Mangare was a hard place to get to, but the bridge helps a lot.
VisitingRider
Member for: 11 months 3 weeks

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 11/Dec/16 8:46am

VisitingRider wrote:Thanks very much, this is very helpful. I didn't spot the old Mangare bridge, and so didn't find that route. The default route that Google Maps found me took me over the motorway bridge!

I may take two trips that way. One of them is that I would like to try to cycle to every Auckland area volcano in one day. (I do know how many of them there are.) Mangare was a hard place to get to, but the bridge helps a lot.

You could do that between Christmas / New Year when the roads are much quieter :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Auckland Region | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island - Latest Posts