Cycling Quotes

Postby jeremyb on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:27am

Some that made me laugh, some that made me think, some that made me want to share :)

"Ever bike? Now that's something that makes life worth living! I take exercise every afternoon that way. Oh, to just grip your handlebars and lay down to it, and go ripping and tearing through streets and road, over railroad tracks and bridges, threading crowds, avoiding collisions, at twenty miles or more an hour, and wondering all the time when you're going to smash up. Well now, that's something! And then go home again after three hours of it, into the tub, rub down well, then into a soft shirt and down to the dinner table, with the evening paper and a glass of wine in prospect - and then to think that tomorrow I can do it all over again!" -- Jack London

"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it." -- Pink Floyd, 'Bike'

"This is not Disneyland, or Hollywood. I'll give you an example: I've read that I flew up the hills and mountains of France. But you don't fly up a hill. You struggle slowly and painfully up a hill, and maybe, if you work very hard, you get to the top ahead of everybody else." - Lance Armstrong

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, January 18, 1896, Scientific American Magazine

"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world." - Grant Peterson

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

"The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it."--Doug Bradbury

"You get a feeling on certain trails, when you're reacting like you and your machine are just one thing. It's the feeling of physical exertion and speed and technique all wrapped into one."--Ned Overend

"Passing softly through the backcountry creates a fascinating tension. On one hand is the environment, generating powerful swells of energy that course through our psyches. There's something about mountains, deserts, woods, that excites us. Yet, on the other hand, the awesomeness of it all diminishes our importance in the earth's affairs."--Hank Barlow

"A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness."--James E. Starrs, The Literary Cyclist

"Don't be afraid of going fast and getting hurt. (You can always wear black stockings to cover up the scars!) You just have to forget what your parents taught you--stuff like being careful, looking good and catching the best man available."--Marla Streb

"Eat before you are hungry. Drink before you are thirsty. Rest before you are tired. Cover up before you are cold. Peel off before you are hot. Don't drink or smoke on tour. Never ride just to prove yourself." -- Paul de Vivie

"Perhaps the single most important element in mastering the techniques and tactics of racing is experience. But once you have the fundamentals, acquiring the experience is a matter of time." -- Greg LeMond

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." - Bill Nye, the Science Guy

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

"There was a second supremely sweet moment of victory. As I made my way through the finish area, I passed the Cofidis team. Assorted members of the organization stood around, the men who I felt had left me for dead in a hospital room. "That was for you," I said as I moved past them." - Lance Armstrong after winning the opening time trial and becoming the leader of the 1999 Tour de France

"I won! I won! I don't have to go to school anymore." -- Eddy Merckx, after winning his first bike race

"I guess I just have bigger ovaries." -- Missy Giove

"The Europeans look down on raising your hands. They don't like the end-zone dance. I think that's unfortunate. That feeling - the finish line, the last couple of meters - is what motivates me." -- Lance Armstrong

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"A mountain bike race is a constant hard effort for two to three hours. In road racing the efforts often come in surges. You ride easy for awhile then you have to make an extreme, hard effort. They are two different efforts, two different forms of suffering." -- John Tomac

"I picked my head up during an interval and saw an enormous ostrich zigzagging in the road. I swung wide to get by - and just as I did he started chasing me. These guys can motor. I had to sprint to drop him." -- Tyler Hamilton

"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman." -- Jacques Anquetil

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

"I'm fascinated by the sprinters. They suffer so much during the race just to ge to the finish, they hang on for dear life in the climbs, but then in the final kilometers they are transformed and do amazing things. It's not their force per se that impresses me, but rather the renaissance they experience. Seeing them suffer throughout the race only to be reborn in the final is something for fascination." -- Miguel Indurain

"Downhill's the future of the sport. Cross-country's not geared for TV. Some fat guy watching it with a beer in one hand and potato chips in the other is going to say, 'I can do that.' America likes to see people crash." -- Missy Giove

"My favorite courses are nasty, technical downhills that frighten my mom." -- Josh Ivey

"I'm lucky that mountain biking wasn't around when I was 20, because I wouldn't have won the Tour de France. It's my kind of sport - hard, individualistic, and not a lot of tactics." -- Greg LeMond

"Some people pay a thousand dollars for a tattoo. This scar cost me twenty grand." -- Matt Hoffman

"First week you feel good, the second week you lose strength. Third week, fucked." -- Per Pedersen, on the Tour de France

"The main thing is to not cut yourself and bleed to death in the tub." -- Frankie Andreu (Retired USPS Racer) on leg shaving advice

"I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule." -- President G.W. Bush on his MTB moments before losing his front-wheel traction and flying over his bars down a steep dropoff.
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:32am

"I guess I just have bigger ovaries." -- Missy Giove

Hahahahaha!!! :lol:
Missy is teh roxxor! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby jeremyb on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:33am

:lol: The other Missy quote is righteous too ;)
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby mundi on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:37am

Theres some good'uns in there!
mundi
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:38am

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

:lol:

I'm gonna fling this on mountainbike.co.nz unless you want to JB.
sifter
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Cycling Quotes

Postby dented on Mon 9/Oct/06 10:38am

jeremyb wrote: "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule." -- President G.W. Bush on his MTB moments before losing his front-wheel traction and flying over his bars down a steep dropoff.

:lol: GOLD!!! Im glad you saved the best till last. Great list too
dented
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby XTC1 on Tue 10/Oct/06 12:09am

"The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it."--Doug Bradbury

So true.
XTC1
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby fandangle on Tue 10/Oct/06 9:31am

yeah the last one definatly cracked me up. :D
fandangle
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 12/Oct/06 12:15pm

There are some good ones there, I managed to dig this one up.

"The secret to mountain biking is simple, the slower you go, the more likely it is you'll crash" Unknown
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby inzane on Thu 12/Oct/06 12:21pm

Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm. - American mountain biker Jacquie Phelan
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Cycling | News - Latest Posts