Which Centre should get the Cycling Centre of Excellence?

Auckland
27%
Palmerston north
28%
Waikato/Bay of Plenty
23%
I don't care
23%

Total voters : 71

Re: Cycling Centre Of Excellence

Postby istepinyards on Mon 9/May/11 4:02pm

Fergie wrote:
istepinyards wrote:Fergie, as you know I love my track cycling and as I come from another country I couldn't give 2 fucks who and how someone in NZ pays for another velodrome. This argument you have put forward here is utterly ridiculous and degrades your intelligence.

That's only from reading too many of your posts.
No need for that mate. Again use some of your intelligence to make a sensible argument. I think you are better than that so I posted that :( apparently I was and have been mistaken. Get your head out of your arse.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby leglesscyclist on Mon 9/May/11 4:04pm

istepinyards wrote:
Fergie wrote:
istepinyards wrote:Fergie, as you know I love my track cycling and as I come from another country I couldn't give 2 fucks who and how someone in NZ pays for another velodrome. This argument you have put forward here is utterly ridiculous and degrades your intelligence.

That's only from reading too many of your posts.
No need for that mate. Again use some of your intelligence to make a sensible argument. I think you are better than that so I posted that :( apparently I was and have been mistaken. Get your head out of your arse.

Don't wanna butt in but things have been a bit heated round here and there was probably a teensy bit of humour in ferg's response. And as we all know sensible arguments have their rightful place: somewhere that's not vorb. ;)
leglesscyclist
"Rule 83. No matter how fast you climb Mount Ventoux in a hail storm only other cyclists think you are a bad ass. The rest of the world thinks you are a pansy for being skinnier than most 8yr old girls and wearing lycra."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 4:16pm

istepinyards wrote:No need for that mate. Again use some of your intelligence to make a sensible argument. I think you are better than that so I posted that :( apparently I was and have been mistaken. Get your head out of your arse.

Sorry Dave, you actually expect to be taken seriously here?
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 9/May/11 4:19pm

Fergie wrote:
istepinyards wrote:No need for that mate. Again use some of your intelligence to make a sensible argument. I think you are better than that so I posted that :( apparently I was and have been mistaken. Get your head out of your arse.

Sorry Dave, you actually expect to be taken seriously here?

I did then, I guess. Fair point, no offence if none was meant. :cool:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 4:22pm

thorg wrote:
Fergie wrote:
thorg wrote:f a cycling facility could generate revenue above it's costs, then it would not need its hand up the tax payers arse. If you, for one moment actuall belive that a centre in CHCH would turn a profit, and have documents showing it, then I'm sure you will be off to the bank for the loan tomorrow.

We did and we were. Then we had an earthquake. But the fat lady hasn't sung yet.
So the proposal is 100% commercially funded? really?

i thought not :lol:

We did have a plan B. Our bid was not just about the 7 million from SPARC but the opportunity to have the COE in Christchurch.

One thing that does concern me is the suggestion that once the new Velodrome is build Elite Nationals will only be held there because ILT is not a grade 1 velodrome (not a free standing roof).
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 9/May/11 5:21pm

Fergie wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Health, education, the environment, justice... Are you really as dumb as your question implies Fergie, or is it an act? :blink:

Why should my taxes fund others health? Is it my fault that people have accidents, get sick, smoke, overeat? I am a certified pie eater and have the gut to prove it. I have medical insurance so I don't expect you personally pay for me to get treatment.

Why should my taxes fund others education? Can't people educate themselves instead of sucking on the public funding teat? I coach a lot of school kids and I'm pretty sure that any money invested on their education is going right down the gurgler.

Why should my taxes fund the environment? Shouldn't we just legislate against pollution and other things that harm the environment?

Why should my taxes fund the justice system? It's a double whammy when people commit crimes against you then you have to help fund their incarceration. I worked as part of the Home Detention system and most of these people are born losers and time spent inside at our cost is having very little effect of their chances of becoming model citizens.

None of these things are needs, they are wants. We want someone to take care of us when we are sick or injured, we want someone to teach us, we want keep the crims off the streets and want a clean green environment just as it appear people want to play sport, want to be competitive, want to compete Internationally and want to represent their country at Olympic Games. If it wasn't a return on investment then why would Governments get involved. They are pretty stingy with their money for everything else, and it's not like people haven't had to jump through a million hoops for this COE process so why do people think this is a Government hand out that they will see no return from?

epic
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 5:27pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:epic

Yup.

Funny how people expect hand outs or nanny state to support them in one area and criticise other groups who would like support in another area.
Fergie

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 9/May/11 5:30pm

Fergie wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:epic

Yup.

Funny how people expect hand outs or nanny state to support them in one area and criticise other groups who would like support in another area.

I think you misunderstand.

epic in the sense of epic stupidity, confused reasoning, logical fallacy, and all the reason and self restraint exhibited by a three year old wanting ice cream.

You want it all, you want it now, and you want me to pay for it.

as i said: epic.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 5:44pm

I knew that was how you felt and I couldn't give a f**k.

I think I am the complete opposite. I don't expect anything. If you actually read what I wrote you might conclude that I don't expect a health handout, am more than willing to play a personal role in the environment, more than happy to pay for my own education and would prefer to see other options tried in the justice system.

The SPARC funding was nice but the COE in Canterbury was the drawcard for me. I will always have to travel to coach or compete at a NZ Track Championships now.

The bid process was expensive and demanding and Canterbury will not recoup the six figure sum we put into our bid. That was money and time we could have invested into our junior programme or track carnival.
Fergie

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 9/May/11 6:05pm

so you don't expect anything, except me as a taxpayer to build you a stadium so you can shout at people as they ride round in circles?

if you read your post above you will perhaps see the complete contradiction between your statement " I dont expect anything" and whining about having to travel. Here's a suggestion: get travelling.

I think it would be better, and considerably cheaper, if I personally purchased a one way ticket for you to Uzbekistan or something.

This city needs a lot of things right now, and a shed so munters can ride round in circles is pretty emphatically not one of them.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 6:26pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:so you don't expect anything, except me as a taxpayer to build you a stadium so you can shout at people as they ride round in circles?

Do you expect the whole facility will cost 7 Million? Did I not say that we had a plan B if the SPARC bid failed.

if you read your post above you will perhaps see the complete contradiction between your statement " I dont expect anything" and whining about having to travel. Here's a suggestion: get travelling.

Thames, Auckland, Invers is not the end of the world. More to the point Canterbury have done rather well at staging Elite Road Nationals, Benchmark Series, Le Race, Festival of Cycling, Canterbury Track Carnival and I think we could run a pretty awesome track nationals and pre earthquake had the best bid for the Centre of Excellence which was for all cyclists so would benefit the road, track and MTB cyclists.

I think it would be better, and considerably cheaper, if I personally purchased a one way ticket for you to Uzbekistan or something.

:p

This city needs a lot of things right now, and a shed so munters can ride round in circles is pretty emphatically not one of them.

Well duh, why do you think we dropped our bid and our plan B has been shelved while more pressing matters are attended to?

Munters like Hayden Godfrey, Jason Allen, Hayden Roulston, Sam Horgan, Ruaraidh McLeod and Joanne Kiesanowski.
Fergie

Postby Conners on Mon 9/May/11 6:33pm

Fergie wrote:I think I am the complete opposite. I don't expect anything. If you actually read what I wrote you might conclude that I don't expect a health handout, am more than willing to play a personal role in the environment, more than happy to pay for my own education and would prefer to see other options tried in the justice system.

Let me guess - you don't have any children do you? Maybe when your focus changes from "me me me" you may see the benefits of the "nanny state" funded health and education systems.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Mon 9/May/11 6:39pm

i've got children, I'll be moving to cambridge and throwing my kids into the sport with the admirable child-centred approach of sprintsupporter

Fergie will shirley be moving to Cambridge. can't see him resisting the alure of horse-riding milfs between motor-pacing sessions.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 6:39pm

Conners wrote:Let me guess - you don't have any children do you? Maybe when your focus changes from "me me me" you may see the benefits of the "nanny state" funded health and education systems.

Oh the irony, I'm all me me me yet it appears you want nanny state to hand you your children's education and health care. Guess a public education absolves you of any blame if they turn out to be f**k ups.

I have medical insurance and why would you assume I would not cover any kids? Personally I would home school any children I have.
Fergie

Postby Conners on Mon 9/May/11 6:41pm

Fergie wrote:Personally I would home school any children I have.

:lol:
End. Of. Story.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts