Which Centre should get the Cycling Centre of Excellence?

Auckland
27%
Palmerston north
28%
Waikato/Bay of Plenty
23%
I don't care
23%

Total voters : 71

Re: Cycling Centre Of Excellence

Postby j2hyde on Mon 9/May/11 3:06pm

Wow. Theres so much stupid there I don't know where to start :rolleyes:
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Mon 9/May/11 3:07pm

Fergie wrote:
thorg wrote:f a cycling facility could generate revenue above it's costs, then it would not need its hand up the tax payers arse. If you, for one moment actuall belive that a centre in CHCH would turn a profit, and have documents showing it, then I'm sure you will be off to the bank for the loan tomorrow.

We did and we were. Then we had an earthquake. But the fat lady hasn't sung yet.
So the proposal is 100% commercially funded? really?

i thought not :lol:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 9/May/11 3:07pm

Fergie wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Health, education, the environment, justice... Are you really as dumb as your question implies Fergie, or is it an act? :blink:

Why should my taxes fund others health? Is it my fault that people have accidents, get sick, smoke, overeat? I am a certified pie eater and have the gut to prove it. I have medical insurance so I don't expect you personally pay for me to get treatment.

Why should my taxes fund others education? Can't people educate themselves instead of sucking on the public funding teat? I coach a lot of school kids and I'm pretty sure that any money invested on their education is going right down the gurgler.

Why should my taxes fund the environment? Shouldn't we just legislate against pollution and other things that harm the environment?

Why should my taxes fund the justice system? It's a double whammy when people commit crimes against you then you have to help fund their incarceration. I worked as part of the Home Detention system and most of these people are born losers and time spent inside at our cost is having very little effect of their chances of becoming model citizens.

None of these things are needs, they are wants.

What a bizarre argument. All of those things I named are clearly needs, i.e. necessary conditions of the functioning of the state. All needs are conditional on ends and in this case we are talking about the State as a functioning thing. A state needs healthcare, justice, education and an environmental concern. (How these things are provisioned is another matter entirely: some needs might be met by private enterprise.) A state does not need a track for cyclists to ride their bikes around.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby leglesscyclist on Mon 9/May/11 3:13pm

Nope, doesn't need a road up to your house either. Or broadband. Or competitive marketplaces. ANY sort of recreation facility is a want, rather than a need. But its a fact of life that money is going to be spent on wants, cos it keeps the punters happy. Much like baiting track coaches on teh interwebs over semantic arguments.
leglesscyclist
"Rule 83. No matter how fast you climb Mount Ventoux in a hail storm only other cyclists think you are a bad ass. The rest of the world thinks you are a pansy for being skinnier than most 8yr old girls and wearing lycra."
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 3:14pm

thorg wrote:
Fergie wrote:so why do people think this is a Government hand out that they will see no return from?
because it IS a government hand out that the general public will see no return from.

I hope that this is of some assistance to you.

So you think a National Government that believes in self determination and user pays would just hand out 7 million no questions asked?

Or a Labour Government that is one step removed from Communism would support a Centre of Excellence that would benefit only a few people.

Yet you saw/see both Helen Clark or John Key at most sporting events soaking up the National pride.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 9/May/11 3:16pm

leglesscyclist wrote: Much like baiting track coaches on teh interwebs over semantic arguments.

But my trolling isn't receiving government funding. :cool:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 9/May/11 3:18pm

Why bother spending 7mill. For about 20 bucks we could get every jaded track coach in the country a "special needs excellence" medal. You could wear it with national pride.
j2hyde

Postby thorg on Mon 9/May/11 3:20pm

Fergie wrote:
thorg wrote:
Fergie wrote:so why do people think this is a Government hand out that they will see no return from?
because it IS a government hand out that the general public will see no return from.

I hope that this is of some assistance to you.

So you think a National Government that believes in self determination and user pays would just hand out 7 million no questions asked?

Or a Labour Government that is one step removed from Communism would support a Centre of Excellence that would benefit only a few people.

Yet you saw/see both Helen Clark or John Key at most sporting events soaking up the National pride.

No.
No.
So what.

how does any of that effect the fact that it is a financlial handout? There may be some spurious returns that are claimed in order to get hands on money - but a financial return from a velodrome? :lol: .

At best, you might claim event/place legacy from the COE - but would be a tenious link at best.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby leglesscyclist on Mon 9/May/11 3:20pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
leglesscyclist wrote: Much like baiting track coaches on teh interwebs over semantic arguments.

But my trolling isn't receiving government funding. :cool:

:lol:

pretty sure telecoms have had quite a few gobberment injections into infrastructure over the years
leglesscyclist
"Rule 83. No matter how fast you climb Mount Ventoux in a hail storm only other cyclists think you are a bad ass. The rest of the world thinks you are a pansy for being skinnier than most 8yr old girls and wearing lycra."

Postby istepinyards on Mon 9/May/11 3:24pm

Fergie wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Health, education, the environment, justice... Are you really as dumb as your question implies Fergie, or is it an act? :blink:

Why should my taxes fund others health? Is it my fault that people have accidents, get sick, smoke, overeat? I am a certified pie eater and have the gut to prove it. I have medical insurance so I don't expect you personally pay for me to get treatment.

Why should my taxes fund others education? Can't people educate themselves instead of sucking on the public funding teat? I coach a lot of school kids and I'm pretty sure that any money invested on their education is going right down the gurgler.

Why should my taxes fund the environment? Shouldn't we just legislate against pollution and other things that harm the environment?

Why should my taxes fund the justice system? It's a double whammy when people commit crimes against you then you have to help fund their incarceration. I worked as part of the Home Detention system and most of these people are born losers and time spent inside at our cost is having very little effect of their chances of becoming model citizens.

None of these things are needs, they are wants. We want someone to take care of us when we are sick or injured, we want someone to teach us, we want keep the crims off the streets and want a clean green environment just as it appear people want to play sport, want to be competitive, want to compete Internationally and want to represent their country at Olympic Games. If it wasn't a return on investment then why would Governments get involved. They are pretty stingy with their money for everything else, and it's not like people haven't had to jump through a million hoops for this COE process so why do people think this is a Government hand out that they will see no return from?
Fergie, as you know I love my track cycling and as I come from another country I couldn't give 2 fucks who and how someone in NZ pays for another velodrome. This argument you have put forward here is utterly ridiculous and degrades your intelligence.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 9/May/11 3:26pm

leglesscyclist wrote:Nope, doesn't need a road up to your house either. Or broadband. Or competitive marketplaces.

Now you're the one trolling. Or do you really have to fail some kind of intelligence test before being allowed to like track?
j2hyde

Postby leglesscyclist on Mon 9/May/11 3:28pm

j2hyde wrote:
leglesscyclist wrote:Nope, doesn't need a road up to your house either. Or broadband. Or competitive marketplaces.

Now you're the one trolling. Or do you really have to fail some kind of intelligence test before being allowed to like track?

Probably helps, to be honest.
leglesscyclist

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 3:42pm

istepinyards wrote:Fergie, as you know I love my track cycling and as I come from another country I couldn't give 2 fucks who and how someone in NZ pays for another velodrome. This argument you have put forward here is utterly ridiculous and degrades your intelligence.

That's only from reading too many of your posts.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Joel on Mon 9/May/11 3:47pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:A state does not need a track for cyclists to ride their bikes around.

does so.

discussion ended.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 9/May/11 3:55pm

Joel wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:A state does not need a track for cyclists to ride their bikes around.

does so.

discussion ended.

:love:
Fergie

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts