Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:13am

"Another idea on the table is a $50 million cycleway built the length of the country.

It would provide 3700 jobs and would take two years to build.

The government is keen on it for its tourist potential."

From http://www.stuff.co.nz/4862152a13.html at the 'job summit'. Wondering if it will be entirely off road. That would be cool.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Monolith on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:22am

I assume by "Cycleway" they mean like the one between Petone and Ngauranga... would have to be sealed, and presumable seperated from the highway somehow.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby nzmatto on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:23am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:"Another idea on the table is a $50 million cycleway built the length of the country.

From http://www.stuff.co.nz/4862152a13.html at the 'job summit'. Wondering if it will be entirely off road. That would be cool.

The math doesn't work. $50m / 2 years / 3700 jobs = $6,756.75 gross per annum per job without allowing for any design / materials, etc.

AWESOME idea though!!!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby iodi on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:24am

Wouldn't that be Te Araroa, but making a few sections a bit more bike friendly?
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:27am

$50m is probably just shoulder widening and a bit of paint. Not sure where the new jobs come from though. And how it will attract tourists. Mmmm - SH1 between Christchurch and Ashburton anyone?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby Monolith on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:30am

nzmatto wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:"Another idea on the table is a $50 million cycleway built the length of the country.

The math doesn't work. $50m / 2 years / 3700 jobs = $6,756.75 gross per annum per job without allowing for any design / materials, etc.

AWESOME idea though!!!

You're assuming they'll employ 3700 people for a period of 2 years.... I imagine many contracts would be only several months in duration.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:33am

Heh, put a bunch of otherwise 'smart' business people in the same room together and watch them come up with more and more retarded ideas..
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby michael on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:35am

I KNOW I KNOW why doesn't the government pay people to paint every power pylon in New Zealand... oh wait Brownlees already suggested that.

FFS, a cycle way the length of NZ, you'd get better suggestions in the stuff.co.nz comments section.
michael
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 27/Feb/09 10:47am

phunk wrote:Heh, put a bunch of otherwise 'smart' business people in the same room together and watch them come up with more and more retarded ideas..

9.46am: Reserve Bank Governor Dr Alan Bollard said ... the amount of money lost was in the trillions of dollars, so much so that if one dollar notes were strung together, they would reach the sun."

Heh
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby pb on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:10am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
phunk wrote:Heh, put a bunch of otherwise 'smart' business people in the same room together and watch them come up with more and more retarded ideas..

9.46am: Reserve Bank Governor Dr Alan Bollard said ... the amount of money lost was in the trillions of dollars, so much so that if one dollar notes were strung together, they would reach the sun."

Heh

So the reserver bank governor hasn't yet realised we now have a coin for $1? :eh:
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby skint on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:18am

pb wrote:So the reserver bank governor hasn't yet realised we now have a coin for $1? :eh:

Hell - the outlook is even worse than I imagined. :hmmm:
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:19am

pb wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:

Heh

So the reserver bank governor hasn't yet realised we now have a coin for $1? :eh:

he only carries 100 dollar notes in his pocket, so can't blame him for not knowing
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby skint on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:20am

Bollard looked miserable on the TV coverage this morning - almost as grim as the Herald's graphic for the whole occasion:
27recession.jpg
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby aj- on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:44pm

I'm for it. Love to know more about it but the fact they even thought about it is a good thing.
aj-
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:07pm

A really nice cycleway the length of the country would be awesome.... But to make a GOOD one would require a shitload more I reckon - gotta get some right-of-way through scenic places, go up and down some nice hills etc. $50m won't do. $1 billion perhaps....
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts