Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Colin on Thu 5/Mar/09 10:08pm

j2hyde wrote: Stoopid engineers would waste $50mil on a feasibility study then conclude the exercise was impossible because there was nothing left in the budget.

The engineers would only get that part of the 50 mill that geologist hadn't pissed in a hole in the ground. :blink:
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Dazzle on Thu 5/Mar/09 10:28pm

The environmental court lawyers would fight you for the meatiest part of the financial corpse with a fork.
Dazzle
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Fri 6/Mar/09 12:17pm

I vote to turn SH1 into a cycleway and built a proper SH1 for cars/trucks
Surveyor_Steve
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby j2hyde on Fri 6/Mar/09 1:43pm

Did you write a letter to the weekend press saying the same thing?
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Surveyor_Steve on Fri 6/Mar/09 4:54pm

j2hyde wrote:Did you write a letter to the weekend press saying the same thing?


No, but thats an idea I'd support.
Surveyor_Steve
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/Mar/09 5:03pm

Colin wrote:
j2hyde wrote: Stoopid engineers would waste $50mil on a feasibility study then conclude the exercise was impossible because there was nothing left in the budget.

The engineers would only get that part of the 50 mill that geologist hadn't pissed in a hole in the ground. :blink:


You forget - The lawyers get their chunk first. $49 million to piss away in the environment court :)
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby duzall on Fri 6/Mar/09 6:07pm

happybaboon wrote:
Colin wrote:
j2hyde wrote: Stoopid engineers would waste $50mil on a feasibility study then conclude the exercise was impossible because there was nothing left in the budget.

The engineers would only get that part of the 50 mill that geologist hadn't pissed in a hole in the ground. :blink:


You forget - The lawyers get their chunk first. $49 million to piss away in the environment court :)


So true...
duzall
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Colin on Tue 10/Mar/09 6:11pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... g-traction

A proposal to build a cycleway the length of New Zealand appears to have gained momentum, with high level discussions about it having taken place today.

The proposal was one of the more unusual ideas to have come out of the jobs summit held in Auckland last month, with the initiative slated as a potential benefit to tourism and employment.

Prime Minister John Key said he had met this morning with senior officials to discuss such a project.

"The issue is being taken seriously," he said.

"Obviously there are a range of factors that need to be considered.

"But it's a serious initiative and while there is a quirkiness about it, in our opinion it could be a major tourist activity – both domestically and for international tourists.

"There are a lot of potential jobs involved and I think it is a long term thing that New Zealanders will look back on and be proud that they've got."

Mr Key said it was too early to talk in detail about employment prospects or potential start dates, but discussions had touched on issues which would need to be considered, including the surface for such a track.

A $50 million cost estimate which was thrown up at the jobs summit was a "rough, back of a piece of paper determination".

Mr Key said officials were actively working on a delivery plan for the Government.

- NZPA
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby way_downsouth on Wed 11/Mar/09 8:25am

When I first heard this idea I wasn't a fan, but it is definitely growing on me, on the basis that it was similar to the Otago Rail Trail. I wonder how long it would take to ride the length of it...
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Slim on Wed 11/Mar/09 8:36am

way_downsouth wrote:When I first heard this idea I wasn't a fan, but it is definitely growing on me, on the basis that it was similar to the Otago Rail Trail. I wonder how long it would take to ride the length of it...



Depending on the route, it'll be about 2000km long, so assume 80-100km a day it'll take somewhere around a month to ride end to end.

if people ride it the same way as the otago rail trail, it'll be 2-3 months.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby herbman on Wed 11/Mar/09 8:51am

Slim wrote:
if people ride it the same way as the otago rail trail, it'll be 2-3 months.


and there would be alot of very sick livers around
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Tama on Wed 11/Mar/09 8:53am

Slim wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:When I first heard this idea I wasn't a fan, but it is definitely growing on me, on the basis that it was similar to the Otago Rail Trail. I wonder how long it would take to ride the length of it...



Depending on the route, it'll be about 2000km long, so assume 80-100km a day it'll take somewhere around a month to ride end to end.

if people ride it the same way as the otago rail trail, it'll be 2-3 months.

I've been checking out Te Araroa - it's a pretty visionary idea: http://www.teararoa.org.nz/

For even double the predicted cost I think it's a great idea. To put this all into perspective Transit are expecting it to cost $20 - $100 million to replace that one lane bridge on the way to Coromandel from Auckland: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/thames/news/a ... d=10508302
Tama
User avatar
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby RJM on Thu 12/Mar/09 5:49am

way_downsouth wrote:When I first heard this idea I wasn't a fan, but it is definitely growing on me, on the basis that it was similar to the Otago Rail Trail. I wonder how long it would take to ride the length of it...


Hope not - then us Roadies will be screwed (again)
RJM
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Dazzle on Thu 12/Mar/09 6:13am

RJM wrote:
way_downsouth wrote:When I first heard this idea I wasn't a fan, but it is definitely growing on me, on the basis that it was similar to the Otago Rail Trail. I wonder how long it would take to ride the length of it...


Hope not - then us Roadies will be screwed (again)


Roadies can already ride the length of the country, inside three weeks with relative ease.
post1863133.html#p1863133
Dazzle
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby samf on Thu 12/Mar/09 1:31pm

Another random idea: if we might be renovating disused rail lines for cycleways, how about bike-friendly provision on national passenger rail? A lot of the closed branch lines will intersect with main lines still in use. Cyclists might rack their bikes up in a space on the train, head off to their seats or the restaurant carriage - then the train stops at the next bike track, you get off and ride, then join another train running the same route.

Perhaps you could sell tourists some kind of staged ticket to ride any train section once in the course of a trip, so that they could get off and ride any section that takes their fancy and then get the next train leaving the end of the line. Plus the bike space on the train would be available also to domestic travellers, students... whoever.

Crazy talk?
samf
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts

Who is online

54 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], pb, Rik, Wobbler and 49 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop