Re: Cycleway The Length Of New Zealand

Postby Simonk on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:32pm

This is a great idea. Don't get so bogged down with the details. So the 3700 jobs are all full-time for 2 years. The point is we could have an internationally reknowned 'cycleway' the length of the country - superb. If it doesn't come out 100% after $50 mill, then look at the problem areas and spend a bit more. Then add feeder routes, and links from east to west.

This is possibly a huge kickstart to a Sustrans type cycle network (in the UK) or similar to some of the USA Adventure Cycling Association routes. Lots of European countries have cycle networks with sculptures and shower blocks and picnic areas along the way - all very civilised and as popular as the Otago Rail Trail.

They say 'cycleway', but they also say it could be managed by DOC, so I'm thinking it could be a mix of on and off-road riding (but all accessible to punters on hire bikes with panniers, etc).
Simonk
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:42pm

If you guys want a cycleway the length of the country why dont you pay for it yourselves?
phunk
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Friendly Llama on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:45pm

It shouldn't be a cycleway, but a cycle-loop. That way half can be road, half can be off-road, and you can do whichever you want :) One could cover each coast.

I still don't see how this is saving the world. Obama promised change, I still haven't seen much :hmmm:
Friendly Llama

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:45pm

But surely such tourists are not big spenders, tending to be either largely self suffient and reluctant to pay to see glitzy tourist locations. I'm aware that for a long time various tourism agencies have targetted the closer markets for potential tourists, especially the big spending Koreans and Japanese.

Sure, it's great for cycling in NZ, and there will be some gains for communities that have been outside the tourist loop, and some temporary jobs, but I don't think it will bring in substantial economic benefits for NZ.

I'm still supporting it though
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:48pm

I want a new carport built on the side of my house. I think I should get taxpayer funding for it because it will 'create jobs' and revitalise the economy.

I can think of hundreds of ways of spending other peoples money to benefit myself.
phunk

Postby Tama on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:53pm

phunk wrote:I can think of hundreds of ways of spending other peoples money to benefit myself.

You should run for office :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Muz on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:00pm

I reckon you could lower the cost of this by say having low risk prisoners and PD people doing as much of the work as possible. Eg: a low risk offender is given a certain amount of KM's of the track to build for their sentence, rather than wasting our time and money in jail, learning how to scam the system, become a better criminal and associating with exactly the sort of people that they should be forced to avoid (if possible).
So I reckon an x Kilometres of track, versus x amount of time in jail would be much more beneficial. They'd be forced to re-locate somewhere remote - like say Twizel, to work on their section and when they're done, they know that they've contributed something meaningful to the rest of society (and themselves, as they'll be able to use the tracks too)...everybody wins :thumbsup: And re: low risk, I mean stuff like vandalism, tagging, minor car thefts and the sorts of things that they are thinking about this "boot camp" rubbish for.
Muz
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Dazzle on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:05pm

It is probably just going to be mostly a repainting/re-sign-posting of existing roads with some extra infrastructure put in here and there. When it comes to putting down tarmac $50m does not go far, literally a few dozen Km.

The problem in getting anything like this done in the past is the bureaucratic red tape and vested interests. I've worked in and around roading engineers for more than enough years to see their blinkered roads = cars and not roads = road users mentality.

Perhaps a Govt level directive will help lubricate those bureaucratic cogs.
Dazzle
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:12pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:But surely such tourists are not big spenders, tending to be either largely self suffient and reluctant to pay to see glitzy tourist locations. I'm aware that for a long time various tourism agencies have targetted the closer markets for potential tourists, especially the big spending Koreans and Japanese.

Sure, it's great for cycling in NZ, and there will be some gains for communities that have been outside the tourist loop, and some temporary jobs, but I don't think it will bring in substantial economic benefits for NZ.

I'm still supporting it though

The Otago rail trail basically saved a bunch of little towns down in Central Otago that were quietly wilting away. i think an idea like this would bring revenue to the businesses along the way, as well as to bike stores, airlines, accommodation etc etc.

I probably would not use it, but I think it is a good idea.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby michael on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:22pm

Muz wrote: And re: low risk, I mean stuff like vandalism, tagging, minor car thefts and the sorts of things that they are thinking about this "boot camp" rubbish for.

Boot camps are what we need, they raise the reoffending rates which is good for providing the police, judges and prison officers with a good supply of "customers", we should persue boot camps for all young criminals.
michael
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Simonk on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:35pm

Trail is on to it. There is a new breed of well-heeled cycle tourist out there who likes to take there time, stay in comfy accomm, and eat and drink well. Most of these riders don't even consider themselves to be 'cyclists' like you and I do.

Friendly Llama is kinda right too - there needs to be a network to make it work for a wide range of people. Here's where the timing is perfect. CAN has just got seed funding from the Hikurangi Foundation to develop a cycle network in NZ - this project is called 'Freeway 0'. Combine the two projects and all of a sudden NZ could become a popular country for cycle touring again (like it was in the 70s and 80s before our roads became cluttered with cheap imports).
Simonk

Postby Spyder on Fri 27/Feb/09 4:38pm

Muz wrote:I reckon you could lower the cost of this by say having low risk prisoners and PD people doing as much of the work as possible. Eg: a low risk offender is given a certain amount of KM's of the track to build for their sentence, rather than wasting our time and money in jail, learning how to scam the system, become a better criminal and associating with exactly the sort of people that they should be forced to avoid (if possible).
So I reckon an x Kilometres of track, versus x amount of time in jail would be much more beneficial. They'd be forced to re-locate somewhere remote - like say Twizel, to work on their section and when they're done, they know that they've contributed something meaningful to the rest of society (and themselves, as they'll be able to use the tracks too)...everybody wins :thumbsup: And re: low risk, I mean stuff like vandalism, tagging, minor car thefts and the sorts of things that they are thinking about this "boot camp" rubbish for.

This program worked well for the Japanese in the early 40's ;)
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby michael on Fri 27/Feb/09 5:05pm

Jesus christ, they were actually serious about the cycle way...
michael
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby skint on Fri 27/Feb/09 5:18pm

This just in on teh Stuff wires:
"The construction of the cycleway – which would start in Kaitaia and run to Bluff – would be supervised by the Department of Conservation."

Doc...DoC land...native bush...OFF ROAD!!!
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Fri 27/Feb/09 5:50pm

WASTE OF MONEY!!
phunk

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts