Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby slumdog on Tue 25/Jan/11 12:42pm

Firstly, are motor scooters allowed on the cycleway? 28ZPK was the rego of the scooter I saw on there today. Should I inform someone?

Secondly, riding along the Kingsland strech just before the Bond Street flyover there was an ambulance attending to a cyclist at the bottom of Kingsland Ave. 3 other cyclists there too. Hoping whoever it was is doing ok :( (was leaning up, taking some oxygen), and well done to those that stopped to help out :thumbsup:
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 25/Jan/11 12:52pm

Where is this cycleway? :eh:
And I would guess scooters are not allowed on it, they arent allowed on any in the CHCH anyway, so I would assume thats a nationwide policy. :)
Report the bugger to the Police and see what they say. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby highspeedsteel on Tue 25/Jan/11 12:58pm

I'm pretty sure scooter aren't supposed to be on there. Its only for cyclists and pedestrians. I do think the police would have trouble policing it, and probably work on the idea that they have worse things to deal with.

P. Pig, its in Auckland between Point Chevalier/Waterview and Rosebank rd along side the North western Motorway.
highspeedsteel
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 25/Jan/11 1:01pm

highspeedsteel wrote:P. Pig, its in Auckland between Point Chevalier/Waterview and Rosebank rd along side the North western Motorway.

Roger roger. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby slumdog on Tue 25/Jan/11 1:11pm

Sorry Percy Pig, I'm the same about a lot of the discussion about Welly/CHCH areas too. Now added Auckland as a channel, and will make sure I rference better in future.
slumdog

Postby Spokes on Tue 25/Jan/11 2:29pm

Just sit on his back wheel for a good draft.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 25/Jan/11 3:52pm

Legally scooters aren’t allowed on the cycleway (hence the name). I've done a Police reports about one (maybe two).

Now I think – as long as they’re riding safely – let them :) . It must be annoying having a scooter that won’t do say 90kph and having to get up the NW motorway way.

Sad re the crash victim :(
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby wpp1 on Tue 25/Jan/11 8:18pm

They are not allowed on the cycleway. You can report them on the police website as a bad driver. On sunday I trimmed the trees where the cycleway goes through the grounds of Unitec. With the wet weather the branches were hanging so low I had to duck down to bar level.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 26/Jan/11 10:50am

wpp1 wrote:They are not allowed on the cycleway. You can report them on the police website as a bad driver. On sunday I trimmed the trees where the cycleway goes through the grounds of Unitec. With the wet weather the branches were hanging so low I had to duck down to bar level.

Good on you :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby slumdog on Wed 26/Jan/11 11:03am

Yeah nice one Wpp1 :) That little section is one of my favourite parts...

Hey FF, not sure, but it looked in a position where a collision was unlikely, so maybe a loss of control accident or something. The person was concious etc, so hopefully just had a bit of a scare...

Must say it was interesting riding along and getting salt build up on the tyre tread after the flood waters had dried up on the pathway.
slumdog

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 26/Jan/11 11:37am

slumdog wrote:Yeah nice one Wpp1 :) That little section is one of my favourite parts...

Hey FF, not sure, but it looked in a position where a collision was unlikely, so maybe a loss of control accident or something. The person was concious etc, so hopefully just had a bit of a scare...

Must say it was interesting riding along and getting salt build up on the tyre tread after the flood waters had dried up on the pathway.

It was incredible having water on the Northwestern on Sunday. My wife drove into town and saw parts of the cycleway under water and water on the slow lane closest to the sea. The northbound lanes were closed.
I have never (in 24 years of living in Auckland and surrounds) seen it like that :eh:
There is an amazing photo in the news site of water up to car rims etc in the fast lane and cars forging through it.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Crashed on Thu 27/Jan/11 8:55pm

I saw a motor bike on the cycleway today, riding very slowly picking up rubbish .Nice to know that the ACC are keeping it clean and safe for us :thumbsup:
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby keltravers on Thu 27/Jan/11 9:33pm

I don't think it matters letting the scooters use the cycleway. Its not as if its very busy and surely its much safer for them to be on the cycleway than the MW itself. As long as they aren't playing silly buggers lets not worry about it and yep they offer a superb draft for those few kms along the causeway.
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby nzmja on Thu 27/Jan/11 9:51pm

corpse found here this morning, news people haven't stated there was a bike at the scene though. Might mean a grueling commute for some regulars....
nzmja
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby wpp1 on Sat 29/Jan/11 8:28pm

Trimmed the trees around the Patiki Rd area today. Thats about all the trimming thats needed now. I have trimmed most of the trees from central park drive to unitec now. the ones crowding the the up ramp of the over bridge at water view need doing as well. Have asked the council to do. see if anything happens.
The planks that have been replaced on the wooden bridge at Patiki, does anyone know which entity would have had this work done. I would like to ask them to add anti-slip to build them up to the same height as the other planks.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts