Re: Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby 1mad-dog on Wed 9/Mar/11 12:12pm

A slight variation off topic, but I rode the cycleway along the South Western motorway (Sandringham Road to Onehunga side of Mangere Bridge) and then the Waikaraka cycleway (along inner Manukau Harbour) to Penrose, for my commute to Highbrook. Map as attached http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/29332198/?open_ive_done=1

A very nice ride and the council has done a great job - although I then had to fight major traffic getting from Hugo Johnstone Drive, through Otahuhu and out onto the new Highbrook cycleway along the southern motorway.

Has anyone else done this trip and have any advice on best route to link these up? I've had a look on google maps and I may be able to sneak through the Otahuhu Rail yards (but might be a bit dodge!)

The Waikaraka section of the ride would be fabulous pathway for the family to take a ride as flat and scenic
1mad-dog
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby slumdog on Wed 9/Mar/11 12:37pm

wpp1 wrote:They do this once a year at this time of year. It is done for Auckland Transport. They will only be there for one day. You can see the results of previous years counts on the auckalnd transport website

Thanks Wpp1, I'll go take a look!

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Much as I generally like the challenge of hills :rolleyes: …that steep pinch up to the Newton Bridge gets me every time. If I do it it’s at the end of a big ride generally when all I want to do is plod on the flat :blush:
I presume it would be really hard / impractical to do something about it but that must be the bane of many cycle commuters rides.

Yeah I know the one you mean FF, is real short, but gets the blood pumping for sure! I run it in granny gear, I think I've only seen a couple of people walk it in my time, but it sure gives you a sense of achievement each time :) I leave it in granny to get my legs back by the time I get to Newton Rd hahaha
slumdog
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby slumdog on Thu 10/Mar/11 10:52am

Saw another counter this morning! He was at the teatatu road entrance to the cycleway. Perhaps he slept in yesterday?
slumdog
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby wpp1 on Thu 10/Mar/11 12:42pm

No they change locations each day through the week. He won't be there tomorrow
wpp1
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Crashed on Thu 17/Mar/11 5:49pm

Hi Guys theres some King tides this month and you may get your feet wet on the NWcycle way heres the times and hights
Saterday 19 7:33 3.4 M
20:06 3.4 M

Sunday 20 8:26 3.5 M
20:59 3.5 M

Monday 21 9:19 3.6 M
21:50 3.6 M

Tuesday 22 10:10 3.6 M
22:40 3.6 M

Wednesday 23 11:01 3.5 M
23:30 3.5 M

Thursday 24 11:52 3.5 M

Friday 25 00:22 3.4 M
12:44 3.3 M
Water could be over the cycle way 1 1/2 hours either side of the times above.!
Have fun guys :)
Crashed
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby wpp1 on Fri 18/Mar/11 7:39am

Cheers for that. When it is flooded I take my shoes off and carry my bike through the water. Have only had to do this once.
wpp1

Postby Peddley on Fri 18/Mar/11 7:32pm

:)

Just reading the old posts on here,

Big ups to Wpp1, and anyone else helping maintain the track! My partner and I noticed when you cleared the low branches at unitec!

Seems to be the same few scooters over and over, 28zpk is a repeat offender, gave him some pretty solid verbal abuse, and he didnt react, so might have to step it up next time.

Just to plug my own agenda, feel free to check my thread on triangle road (the end of the cycleway) triangle-road-cycle-lane-sign-the-petition-t111332.html

But at the end of the day, I love the cycle track, the long patches without traffic or traffic lights, the smiles and waves from other cyclists, the grandma's on their ten speeds, down to the causeway racers, it truly is an asset for Auckland

West side for life :)
Peddley
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 18/Mar/11 8:41pm

Peddley wrote::)

Just reading the old posts on here,

Big ups to Wpp1, and anyone else helping maintain the track! My partner and I noticed when you cleared the low branches at unitec!

Seems to be the same few scooters over and over, 28zpk is a repeat offender, gave him some pretty solid verbal abuse, and he didnt react, so might have to step it up next time.

Just to plug my own agenda, feel free to check my thread on triangle road (the end of the cycleway) triangle-road-cycle-lane-sign-the-petition-t111332.html

But at the end of the day, I love the cycle track, the long patches without traffic or traffic lights, the smiles and waves from other cyclists, the grandma's on their ten speeds, down to the causeway racers, it truly is an asset for Auckland

West side for life :)
:thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 20/Mar/11 3:00pm

I rode down here this morning. There was little of the water remaining but there was debris from the wash over.
The Henderson creek bridge has a really bad broken glass problem :( I wonder if partly it’s because there has been so little rain to wash it off.
I’m going to ring ACC and get them (if I can get through to the correct people :rolleyes: ) to do a sweep,
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby AB73 on Sun 20/Mar/11 3:53pm

Cool if you've got a mumber, post it, as more calls = more chance of them actually doing it before the World Cup!
AB73
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 20/Mar/11 4:57pm

AB73 wrote:Cool if you've got a mumber, post it, as more calls = more chance of them actually doing it before the World Cup!

Ahh…good point.
A top guy :thumbsup: who deals with glass on roads (so a good start) is Morris Whithen(sp)
836 8000, ex 8545
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 21/Mar/11 8:41pm

I rang up the ACC – left a message for Morris and made the request at the call centre. They phoned me back x 2 to make sure of the location :huh: (is there more than one cycleway bridge over the Henderson Creek :rolleyes: )
Hopefully it’ll be swept soon.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby wpp1 on Tue 22/Mar/11 7:44pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I rang up the ACC – left a message for Morris and made the request at the call centre. They phoned me back x 2 to make sure of the location :huh: (is there more than one cycleway bridge over the Henderson Creek :rolleyes: )
Hopefully it’ll be swept soon.

I have swept the bridge at the bottom of triangle road between Lincoln rd and waimumu rd myself this evening. Just put a new tyre on last weekend and don't want to risk cutting it. FF you might have confused the council by saying Henderson creek. Pretty sure Henderson creek is between Flanshaw rd and central park drive. When I am trying to get the council to do something I usually include a map so there is no confusion.
wpp1

Postby wpp1 on Tue 29/Mar/11 7:45am

AndrewJB wrote:Hi wpp1

I think NZTA Motorways is responsible for the new wooden planks at Patiki. Will contact them next week and follow up on it. They are a bit of a judderbar for bikes without asphalt on them.

Yeah they have reapplied the asphalt to the wooden planks. No more judder bar. I emailed them on the 4 march about it so not a bad response.
wpp1

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 29/Mar/11 9:15am

wpp1 wrote:
AndrewJB wrote:Hi wpp1

I think NZTA Motorways is responsible for the new wooden planks at Patiki. Will contact them next week and follow up on it. They are a bit of a judderbar for bikes without asphalt on them.

Yeah they have reapplied the asphalt to the wooden planks. No more judder bar. I emailed them on the 4 march about it so not a bad response.

I’m riding into the city for an appointment today – it’ll be interesting to see the possible repairs and clean ups.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts