Re: Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby wpp1 on Fri 25/Apr/14 8:24am

Hi take care on the board walk by Henderson Creek. Some of the boards have no mesh on them and are very slippery in the wet. My front wheel skidded the other day in the wet and I bit the ground. lucky not going fast so no real damage other than my pride. I went to the Fulton Hogan site office yesterday and they are going to fix it up. I must say they are very helpful and I thanked them for their efforts in keeping the cycleway open during all the construction.
wpp1
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 25/Apr/14 11:27am

Yeah, I've always been nervous about riding over that bit - I just can't trust it.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 25/Apr/14 7:06pm

wpp1 wrote:Hi take care on the board walk by Henderson Creek. Some of the boards have no mesh on them and are very slippery in the wet. My front wheel skidded the other day in the wet and I bit the ground. lucky not going fast so no real damage other than my pride. I went to the Fulton Hogan site office yesterday and they are going to fix it up. I must say they are very helpful and I thanked them for their efforts in keeping the cycleway open during all the construction.

Yek no crash is fun :o
I've found Fulton Hogan very good to deal with re potholes etc on other roading in West Auckland. I've had some dealings with an engineer who's a keen rider and has tried to be as helpful as he can be :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby wpp1 on Thu 1/May/14 8:02am

The other day I had a look where the extended cycleway from Henderson Creek to Lincoln Rd will end at Lincoln Rd when it opens. At the moment it just ends at Lincoln Rd. There is no link back to the cycleway on Triangle Rd. If you use this extension you will have two choices.
1) Try to cross 3 lanes of heavy traffic to get into the right turn lane into Triangle Rd.
2) Ride on the very narrow footpath back to Central Park Drive.

I don't know if Auckland Transport have any plans to do anything about this.
I have reported this as a problem on the Auckland Transport website. If some more people also reported this, it would help to convince them that there is a need for this.
wpp1

Postby foremannz on Thu 1/May/14 8:51am

I've flicked an email to Cycle Action Auckland - my contact there should be able to shed some light on this.
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Tue 13/May/14 11:38am

I did my yearly moan, to the council, about the state of the concrete slabs on the cycleway as you turn off Central Park Dr and go beside Carters building. It looks like it might have had some effect this time as I see alot of paint markings. so maybe something is going to happen.
wpp1

Postby foremannz on Wed 27/Aug/14 10:53pm

Update on the new Lincoln Rd cycleway segment - will probably be opened this weekend, and the link between Central Park Drv and the cycleway next to Carters might be cut off to be resurfaced (TBC). Please note there will still be a narrow section where they are widening the creek bridge, so don't get carried away in top gear.
There has also been alot of concern from West members of CAA regarding the narrow section on Lincoln Rd next to Kennards, so we're trying to get more info over the plans for widening this bit.
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Wed 3/Sep/14 5:35pm

On the way home tonight I got a big surprise to see that AT have installed flexible bollards along central park Dr to stop cars queuing in the cycle lane. I have been asking for them for 2 years with no luck. Wonder why they finally put them in.
wpp1

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 3/Sep/14 7:48pm

wpp1 wrote:On the way home tonight I got a big surprise to see that AT have installed flexible bollards along central park Dr to stop cars queuing in the cycle lane. I have been asking for them for 2 years with no luck. Wonder why they finally put them in.

A council worker finally cycled along there?! :rolleyes:
Good its done though :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 3/Sep/14 9:33pm

I had been sending pictures to the chair of the CAA, who also happens to be my landlords mum! I took alot of pictures of cars driving along the curb in order to enable 2 queues of traffic where there was enough room for them not to be on the cycleway, and they went to an AT contact from her. I've been invited to a meeting tomorrow with an AT contact about what we can do to link the new cycleway to the Central Park/Lincoln Rd intersection, given that there is a mains power transformer outside Kennards thats blocking the ability to widen the path.
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Thu 4/Sep/14 7:59am

You could also ask them about turning left when city bound across the slip lane. the car waiting line needs to be moved back so we can make this turn. Heading west we will have to dismount to cross the slip lane, wait for the pedestrian crossing across lincoln rd, on a pedestrian refuge that is too small for bikes. I will continue to use my normal route along central park dr. rather than the new NW extension.
wpp1

Postby foremannz on Thu 4/Sep/14 9:45pm

Yep, this has been highlighted by quite a few people - theres a few options, even to the point of toying with the possibility a diagonal crossing from Kennards to the opposite corner for cyclists coming from the city to continue on to Triangle Road. Just concepts atm, but they need an idea that works for everyone.
foremannz

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts