Re: Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 9/Nov/13 12:34pm

wpp1 wrote:Now that the trees at Te Atatu have been cut down I am happy to say that nearly all the pesky trees I have been trimming over the years have been cut down. Just a small patch at Patiki, but these should go soon when they start on the cycle underpass. I can hang up my pruning saw.

We salute you and your pruning saw :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Peddley on Sun 10/Nov/13 5:07pm

New bit of cycletrack between Henderson creek and Lincoln road is looking good,

Nice and wide, and for the uphill but looks like they've 'snaked' it up the hill, to ease out the gradient,

I do find it funny that for the patch Lincoln Road to Huruhuru road they are going to get us on the other side of the motorway though!
Peddley
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby foremannz on Tue 12/Nov/13 10:18am

I'll be glad with they finish the Lincoln road bit, then I wouldn't have to deal with this ...
IMG_0409.JPG
:)
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby wpp1 on Wed 20/Nov/13 12:30pm

We must be getting close to the lake taupo challenge. All of a sudden there are lots of extra riders and groups on road bikes on the northwestern. I notice this every year and then they all disappear afterwards.
wpp1
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby slumdog on Thu 21/Nov/13 3:42pm

Yep, 30th of Nov is the day Wpp. I have noticed a heap of commuters anyways due to the nice summer weather, but yep, more groups in mornings etc (sometimes that's me).
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 21/Nov/13 6:46pm

Nice fisherman on the estuary bridge ... total oblivious to any boat traffic that may travel beneath him ...
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Fri 22/Nov/13 7:15am

foremannz wrote:Nice fisherman on the estuary bridge ... total oblivious to any boat traffic that may travel beneath him ...

Or to cyclists. I had to yell at him to get his attention, as he was about step back into my path, to recast his line.

They have also officially announced that there is going to be a underpass under Te Atatu Rd when they redo the interchange. It is going to be hard to wait the 3 years for it to be completed.
wpp1

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 22/Nov/13 7:46pm

foremannz wrote:I'll be glad with they finish the Lincoln road bit, then I wouldn't have to deal with this ...
IMG_0409.JPG
:)

Incredibly pleased I work from home now and my wife's work is only (usually) less than 10 mins away :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Crashed on Fri 22/Nov/13 8:16pm

Here's a link to caa and the underpass http://caa.org.nz/general-news/big-win- ... e-horizon/
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Tue 26/Nov/13 7:27pm

Yep, I bent the fence ... I was crashing into it at the time though ...

Between Pataki and Rosebank Rd, heading towards the city, fresh downpour just before, came down the hill past the ramp to Rosebank Rd, put the brakes on before the corner for the rumble bridge, locked back wheel, can't recover, smack! Bikes ok, maybe upset the deuralier hanger but it appears to be straight still, cracked the helmet and grated up the knees.

Look for the bit of mesh pulled out of the fence ... yep, thats where the fence said "your bike is now mine, AAAAAHHHH ha ha haaaaa" :blush:
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Wed 27/Nov/13 8:44am

I always go wide and slow at that point just in case there is some one coming the other way in the middle bridge. What about the right angle corner they have created at henderson creek. they need to put in a mirror so we can see people coming. I know this is temporary, but hope it is not for too long.
wpp1

Postby slumdog on Wed 27/Nov/13 12:57pm

Ouch foremannz, glad you ok. I've posted before about a muppet coming down there in the dry way too fast and way too far on our side (we were going toward te atatu). He stepped out the rear, grabbed the front and endod into the same bit of fence. I ride this area extra wide like wpp1.

And wpp1, I spotted there is a mirror there on the weekend, we were going away from town, easy to see that you would miss it going into town, or it has been nicked...
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 27/Nov/13 10:29pm

I saw that too wpp1, you can't see a dam thing, and its also pretty narrow, even for a path ...
foremannz

Postby wpp1 on Thu 28/Nov/13 8:07am

slumdog wrote:Ouch foremannz, glad you ok. I've posted before about a muppet coming down there in the dry way too fast and way too far on our side (we were going toward te atatu). He stepped out the rear, grabbed the front and endod into the same bit of fence. I ride this area extra wide like wpp1.

And wpp1, I spotted there is a mirror there on the weekend, we were going away from town, easy to see that you would miss it going into town, or it has been nicked...

You are correct. There is a mirror. It is quite high up and I didn't see it until now. It will help avoid accidents. You have to hand it to the contractors all along the NW how much effort they are putting in to make sure we can still ride.
wpp1

Postby wpp1 on Thu 9/Jan/14 8:02am

yeah they have moved us onto the motorway shoulder at Patiki. It is so smooth compared to the teeth rattling tar seal on the speedway access road.
wpp1

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts