Re: Nw Cycleway Discussion

Postby western-rider on Sun 30/Jan/11 4:31pm

I have in the past come across people on scooters on the nw cycleway, 90% of the time I have been forced to move for them, sorry but I think the book should be thrown at them, the "cycleway" is shared with walkers/runners and the odd drunk walking home on sunday morning (luv seeing them!!!!) what gets to me is the mothers with prams who walk side by side with other mothers and refuse to move, they give you a look like "don't you think I am going to move, get your bike off :angry: the pathway"...would love to run them over, and people on scooters, sorry but that is a accident about to happin, I am sure that if the harbour bridge had a cycle way and scooters were using it, there would be a outcry and the law would put a stop to it ASAP. but because its out west, Who gives a Fuck....
western-rider
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby AB73 on Sun 30/Jan/11 7:33pm

I've been knocked off by a scooter on the NW cycleway, the b******d stopped long enough to give me the finger and rode on. Called the cops, who were very nice and gave me and my trashed bike a lift home. In the end though they decided to take no action against the scooter rider which meant I had to pay $250 insurance excess.

Scooters should certainly not be on there, especially not when ridden by gormless idiots too fast and not moving over.
AB73
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 30/Jan/11 7:45pm

keltravers wrote:I don't think it matters letting the scooters use the cycleway. Its not as if its very busy and surely its much safer for them to be on the cycleway than the MW itself. As long as they aren't playing silly buggers lets not worry about it and yep they offer a superb draft for those few kms along the causeway.

Probably more due to the fact that its illegal for them to be on the m/way. So rather than go the long way round they use the c/way. Maybe you could sell them lights........
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 30/Jan/11 8:43pm

AB73 wrote:I've been knocked off by a scooter on the NW cycleway, the b******d stopped long enough to give me the finger and rode on. Called the cops, who were very nice and gave me and my trashed bike a lift home. In the end though they decided to take no action against the scooter rider which meant I had to pay $250 insurance excess.

Scooters should certainly not be on there, especially not when ridden by gormless idiots too fast and not moving over.

Sad to read re your crash with the scooter dick :angry:

That’s the only problem with them on there – the ones who don’t take it slow and carefully when they need to – like through the mangroves etc.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby AB73 on Sun 30/Jan/11 9:16pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
AB73 wrote:I've been knocked off by a scooter on the NW cycleway, the b******d stopped long enough to give me the finger and rode on. Called the cops, who were very nice and gave me and my trashed bike a lift home. In the end though they decided to take no action against the scooter rider which meant I had to pay $250 insurance excess.

Sad to read re your crash with the scooter dick :angry:

That’s the only problem with them on there – the ones who don’t take it slow and carefully when they need to – like through the mangroves etc.

And it happened just before that section of wooden bridge at Rosebank road, exactly where he needed to slow and didn't!
AB73
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby western-rider on Mon 31/Jan/11 10:07am

i once saw 2 cyclists do a swinging arm (think WWF wresting) to a guy on a scooter, got to say it looked funny, 2 tall skinny guys in lycra looking like a tag team of wrestlers.....bloody mastercard moment....priceless.. :)
western-rider

Postby wpp1 on Mon 31/Jan/11 11:28am

It's not much fun meeting a scooter in the middle of winter on the narrow wooden bridge at patiki. all you can see is a large blinding light coming towards you. I haven't seen any scooters lately. I report all the ones I see. they must be using it at different times than I do.
wpp1
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby slumdog on Thu 10/Feb/11 12:42pm

Anyone know if there is anything going on the NW cycleway for ride to work day next week?
slumdog
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby western-rider on Fri 11/Feb/11 7:40pm

nothing that i have read....have a look on the auckland council website...maybe the supercity has someting planned....hell Len Brown may turn up.....break out in song ......
western-rider

Postby slumdog on Tue 15/Feb/11 12:29pm

Finally found some info on it. This is tomorrow, and an earlier start for me, but I'm pretty keen to get along.
There are cycle 'buses' going from Tamaki Drive, Dominion Road and the NW cycleway.

NW cycleway meeting at 6:45am at city side of Carrington Road

Free food and coffee, but I'm going to win the prizes :sly:

More details here on the council website
slumdog

Postby AndrewJB on Fri 18/Feb/11 8:24pm

Hi wpp1

I think NZTA Motorways is responsible for the new wooden planks at Patiki. Will contact them next week and follow up on it. They are a bit of a judderbar for bikes without asphalt on them.

I crashed on 'Bike to Work Day' heading west on the shared path in McCormick Green at the Te Atatu end of the cycle way. First time I've come off my road bike with clip-in pedals - nasty road rash & two days off the bike. A couple of school kids were blocking the path, it was raining and I tried to bunny-hop off the path but the back wheel slid out from under me. The kids were very apologetic, but I'm more cautious now of riding in the rain on those shared paths.

As to scooters, I've come across a few including a regular female commuter on a pedal/scooter, but they're all pretty slow and considerate. My biggest concern on the cycleway is the narrow bridge lane just before Te Atatu. I've learnt to stop and give way to other cyclists if they're already on the bridge, but if I'm already on there most approaching cyclists just plough on through leaving you bugger-all room to pass. Some kind of give-way ettiquette would be good.

Cheers
AndrewJB
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby slumdog on Fri 18/Feb/11 9:00pm

Sad to hear that Andrew! There were only 5 of us, but was nice by the time we got to town.

I'm the same as you. I wait at either end if someone is on there already, however I will always follow someone that is riding along there already in the same direction as me, expecting those at the other end to wait for us, as you can't see the other end when following someone. Often they don't wait coming the other way though!

Was talking to Wpp at when we reached town, he said big improvements to come with the Waterview SH20-SH16 junction, including a widened cycle lane over that bridge, so fingers crossed!
slumdog

Postby slumdog on Wed 9/Mar/11 11:11am

Council cycle counters appeared to be on the cycleway this morning.

Anyone know anything about how long they do this for? Have they been doing it all week so far?

At Pt Chev overbridge, Newton Rd, and Stanley Street.

Stanley street is very important as I believe they are looking to extend the cycleway to town, with this a possible route.

If they are around this afternoon, I might stop and ask.
slumdog

Postby wpp1 on Wed 9/Mar/11 11:59am

They do this once a year at this time of year. It is done for Auckland Transport. They will only be there for one day. You can see the results of previous years counts on the auckalnd transport website
wpp1
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 9/Mar/11 12:06pm

Much as I generally like the challenge of hills :rolleyes: …that steep pinch up to the Newton Bridge gets me every time. If I do it it’s at the end of a big ride generally when all I want to do is plod on the flat :blush:
I presume it would be really hard / impractical to do something about it but that must be the bane of many cycle commuters rides.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts