Crossmax Sx Wheels

Postby Simpleone on Fri 19/Jun/09 2:48pm

Back in the beginning of January we were lucky enough to get one of the first sets of the new Mavic Crossmax Wheel sets to try.  As regular customers will know we have not been the biggest fan of “Factory” wheels from Mavic.  This is due to the design of the free hub mechanism, lack of bearing on the inside of the freewheel body and the weight, often way out from claimed weight.  The stiffness of the alloy spoke was always good just let down by the rest of the package, in our opinion.  These wheels for 2009 have a completely new free-hub and bearing system that now has 4 pawls on the freewheel body and a full compliment of bearings.  The weight has been improved and the claimed weight of 1755 grams (we weighed them At1760!).  Like most Mavic wheels they are UST so we run them with standard Maxxis tyres and some Stans sealant.  This pair was also centre lock for the disc which is ideal for us as we prefer the current brake offerings from Shimano.  We have had some issues with the new Saint brakes squealing on 6 bolt rotors so were keen to try Centre lock rotors.

sx-5-month-use.jpg
sx-hubs.jpg
sx-pair1 (1).jpg

So after 5 months of use on all types of terrain the wheels have been awesome, and humble pie is being eaten.  Our comparison to these wheels were I Nine Enduro wheels which we have been building and riding for a few years now.  In our opinion they were a Mavic done right!  Low rotational mass, very fast engagement, alloy spokes using standard rims.  While the Mavic’s may not engage as fast the weight is slightly better (60 grams per pair) and they feel a little quicker.  Under high load cornering the I Nines would make a few spoke pinging noises but the Mavic’s run silent.  The only issue we’ve had was a pinging from the rear drive spokes under load as the touched at the crossings.  This was easily fixed though.  Trueness and balance was good out of the box (approx+/- 0.1mm) and has remained good with no need to true.  While we can build truer wheels that run trouble free the complete package has proved to be very good.  We now offer them on build options and they are finally in stock   and ready to go………..until we find something else that’s as good……….more on that in another post!

ImageImage

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Link to original article: http://basicbikes.wordpress.com/2009/06 ... sx-wheels/
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://basicbikes.wordpress.com/feed/
Original Published: 2:20pm Friday, 19th June 2009 - NZST
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Crossmax Sx Wheels

Postby musket on Fri 19/Jun/09 2:54pm

Interesting to see only 20mm - no 15mm option.
musket
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Simpleone on Fri 19/Jun/09 2:56pm

mavic have them listed as Freeride wheels, they could be made 15mm but when a 36 is as light as it is why worry!
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"

Postby Tama on Fri 19/Jun/09 2:57pm

musket wrote:Interesting to see only 20mm - no 15mm option.

That's cos 15mm is a stupid idea which needs to be smothered in it's sleep and buried quietly in the backyard.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby musket on Fri 19/Jun/09 2:58pm

I thought you might say that Tama... :D
musket

Postby Trail on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:09pm

Tama wrote:

That's cos 15mm is a stupid idea which needs to be smothered in it's sleep and buried quietly in the backyard.

I know one of the designers of that 15mm and ride with him quite regularly...

I might inform him where the unbeliever lives :sly:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:11pm

Oh, and have they fixed the problem of the rims being made of cheese? I had some crossmax XLs that I put a big flat spot in while riding a trail I had ridden many times on a pair of 317's.

I have always liked the mavic rims, but the mavic wheelsets left a lot to be desired. Maybe they have fixed some of the problems??
Trail

Postby Tama on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:12pm

Trail wrote:
Tama wrote:

I'd give you my phone number so he can call me but I've just invented a new standard for phone numbers and it currently doesn't work on the phone system.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby musket on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:15pm

:lol:
musket

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:23pm

Tama wrote:
Trail wrote:
Tama wrote:

I'd give you my phone number so he can call me but I've just invented a new standard for phone numbers and it currently doesn't work on the phone system.
I think your unfeasibly long seatpost hasn't gotten stuck somewhere sport
SlackBoy

Postby Trail on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:31pm

Tama wrote:
Trail wrote:
Tama wrote:

Thats all right, we can redesign the phone system
Trail

Postby Simpleone on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:47pm

Trail wrote:Oh, and have they fixed the problem of the rims being made of cheese? I had some crossmax XLs that I put a big flat spot in while riding a trail I had ridden many times on a pair of 317's.

I have always liked the mavic rims, but the mavic wheelsets left a lot to be desired. Maybe they have fixed some of the problems??

Yes all the ones prior to this have been made of cheese, Camembert i believe. Like in the post thats why we waited 5 months before saying anything, infact I think you were in the store the day the wheels arrived. I've not been a Mavic fan for a long time, but these wheels are the first ones they've made that tick every box! As always we are trying and re visiting products to make sure we're not missing something, 5 months with no problems no dents still true, we're confident to recomend them. :thumbsup:
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"

Postby Chickenman on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:48pm

Tama wrote:

Agreed!
Chickenman
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Harley on Fri 19/Jun/09 4:11pm

Yep agree with the anti 15mm comments. Surely everyone must agree it smacks of the big manufacturer coming up with some 'better' system to increase their proprietory share of the market. Think Burton 'three hole' system (now ICS), Shimano centre lock rotors...
Harley
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 19/Jun/09 4:15pm

Centrelock is awesome
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Basic Bikes Blog | Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Vogs - Latest Posts